Officers.exe Virus alert (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Officers - The Matrix Edition >> Tech Support

Eagle_Four -> Officers.exe Virus alert (12/3/2009 2:27:30 PM)

Hallo,
i bought Officers some days ago and played several times. But today i got suddenly an virus alert from my antivir programm GData Internet security. I checked the file with avira antivir.
Same, virus alert. Then i tried to check the original downlad package. I installed officers on an other machine and checked the officers.exe with Kaspersky
,no virus but with avira antivir also virus alert. Then i use an online virus scanner (http://www.virustotal.com/). 20% from the checked virus routines said virus alert. Now i am confused. Is it possible that the new updated virus definitions recognise the officers.exe as a virus or trojan but in reality it is an false alert? Please, can you check this.

Thanky you

Bye

Eagle_Four

Erik Rutins -> RE: Officers.exe Virus alert (12/3/2009 6:04:53 PM)

If it's identifying it as a virus as soon as it's been installed, then that is either a false alert (99% likely) or your computer is otherwise infected and that's somehow corrupting the exe during the install (1% likely). Given our past experience, I'd bet very heavily on the false alert. I can confirm that every installer we build and game we release is thoroughly checked to make sure it's virus-free.

Eagle_Four -> RE: Officers.exe Virus alert (12/3/2009 8:17:13 PM)

Hallo,

ok, I will download the file again and check the officers.exe on an other computer. Before i make a rule with exception for officers.exe in the antivir programm i must be very sure everythink is ok.

Thanks

bye

Eagle_Four

Jim D Burns -> RE: Officers.exe Virus alert (2/12/2010 7:53:18 AM)

I'm getting the same thing, a Trojan horse alert from Norton. What is really worrying, is even if I give it an exception, Norton over-rules it every time and refuses to allow me to run the .exe file. Norton has never over-ruled one of my exceptions before, so perhaps something is amiss with the .exe after all?

If I disable virus protection, the game can be installed and will run, so it isn’t a bad install issue, but as soon as I enable virus protection, Norton deletes the file and I see this:

[image]local://upfiles/5815/35BA4CDCE96545ED891E1AC148296294.jpg[/image]

I’ve gotten low user exceptions and other alerts on new games in the past, but Norton always allowed me to over-rule the alert. This time no dice, it refuses to allow the file to run no matter what I try.

Jim

Edit: Was there perhaps an actual Trojan horse out there called officers.exe? If so can we get the .exe renamed in a future patch?

After reading a few more threads, I saw this has been an ongoing issue. So I tried the hotfix, no luck, still deletes the file every time no matter what I do. Oh yeah, I should mention that the hotfix installer also generated a false positive and Norton deleted it... so I had to disable the virus sofware for that too. LOL

Jim D Burns -> RE: Officers.exe Virus alert (2/12/2010 9:18:37 AM)

OK, I’ve gotten it to work under Norton. Norton actually has three settings that allow you to exclude files and I have only ever used the user trusted file setting to make exceptions in the past.

For those of you who use Norton, unplug your PC from the net, disable virus protection, make a fresh install of the game, then open the Norton's menu and click on settings under the computer section. Then go to scan exclusions and place the officers.exe in both the scan exclusion field and also the real time protection exclusion field as well.

I initially had already done a user trusted file exception several times earlier and Norton always over-rode that exception and reset it to not trusted, so I don’t think you actually have to use that third setting to get it to work. But since that setting sends the data to Norton’s server, there was no way for me to test not using it since I had already sent it in before.

So try the first two and if they don’t work then go with the trusted file setting as well. You get to that by selecting the file (left click it) in windows explorer and then right clicking on it. Then select Norton file insight and left click on trust now, then left click on check trust now and you’re done.

I hope this saves other Norton users from going through the same headaches I suffered through.

Jim

Erik Rutins -> RE: Officers.exe Virus alert (2/12/2010 1:34:05 PM)

If you still have any issues, take a look here as well:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2348535

We alerted the two anti-virus companies that had this false positive of their error. One has corrected it, the other has not.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI