Game Length (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Scenarios and Mods

Manalishi -> Game Length (12/4/2009 6:27:13 AM)

quote:

Disclaimer
I have not the explored capabilites of modding the core game.

Seems to me that one way to create a scenario would be to limit the number of turns. Is this moddable? Can we set start dates and end dates? Judging from the provided scenarios it would seem so.

I've been playing with the ETO scenario, and it is quite well done, although it relies heavily upon house rules. It seems to me one thing Ux could do is set an end date of Dec 1945 or Jan 1946.

The core Victory Conditions are:
- defeat both opposing factions, or;
- hold the majority of objective points at the end of the game.

Thats it. Those are the only ways to win the game. Are these moddable?

By limiting the number of turns, we can effectively create an objective based scenario. If there is not enough time to defeat the two opposing factions, then the only alternative is to gather in objectives. As modders, all we have to do is establish the timeline, and then account for and analyze the location and value of those objective hexes. Perhaps modify those values or locations.

It is just a thought.

<M>

Uxbridge -> RE: Game Length (12/4/2009 8:43:01 AM)

To be frank, Manalishi, I never even considered changing end date; the thought just didn't enter my mind. The reason for this is probably my own way of playing. I always try to beat my opponent, but never really care whether I win or not. In a game as long as Time of Wrath, there will be a long chain of victories and defeats with the ultimate end just being a concluding matter. Some campaigns you win, some you lose. If you have formed a strategy that the opponent spots and break, you just know he'd gotten the better of you; if you pull it through, you'd given him a bloody nose. That's how I play the game and that's probably why I never considered changing this setting. I probably make your blood freeze now, but thinking of it, I don't even know what cities to capture to give me victory in a game-wise sense.

But some play the game differently and you're re right about the shorter end date making for a more thrilling game. It can be changed. If you like to play a long game with several other people, I can easily tell you how to change the time limit or provide you with the necessary file to shorten the game. Same goes for reconsideration of the victory locations, albeit it will require a bit more work to implement.

At HQ, we're presently playing the game with two 4/5-player groups, Group Green and Group Blue. I have made provisions for starting with a third game, Group Red, if you and some other players might be interested.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI