RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

JWE -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 8:21:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach
I never use these term (I trust none of us are boys) but , I find this subject as it relates to these acronyms ridiculous. And if we all start using " I find you have a preference for playing the Allied/Axis side and your comments reflect a bias to that end". Would we then be looking for that combination of keystrokes to be up in arms about and look to ban them. Come on folks!! These letters do not indicate ones attitude towards a persons color, religion or ethnicity only a playing style preference and opinion ABOUT A GAME. What the hell is next.

These comments are not directed towards you JWE or any others who wish to concede to using the terms, just the issue.

I know Buck. And I agree. Terms don't make argument. As you well know, I'm a Japanese fan in many ways, an Allied fan in many others. Being a fan brings a lot of things into focus that might otherwise get lost in the noise. Being a fan is good.

I just get annoyed at the people who blame fanboism for their own inadequacies. Got no issue with anyone being a fanboy, or not.

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 8:30:25 PM)

I just dont get involved with discussions that degenerate into name calling. someone on the WitP Forums had the great sig line
quote:

"Don't argue with an idiot, He'll drap you down to his level and beat you with experience"
.. Wise words

As for Japanese floatplanes being too accurate ? I reccomend the Book "Float Bombers and armed scouts 41-45" subtitled "How floats won the war".

Good effort CF and nice to see Nemo over here for a change .. welcome back you old scoundrel[;)].

AW1Steve -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 8:43:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You can prefer to play a given side without being a fanboy. Major Mike prefers to play the Japs, but he's not a fanboy.

And yet in his sig banner he's "Japanese production fanboy". How strange? I play both sides. Does that make me an "Allied/Japanese fanboy"?

Let me state clearly that I see no problem using the term "fanboy" to indicate side preference. I do have a problem with people labelling each other with the term to denote their own predujicial opion of someone else.

Frankly I consider myself an "WITP Fanboy", a "WPO fanboy" and a "WITP AE fanboy". [:D]

Terminus -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 8:50:14 PM)

The easiest way to recognize a fanboy is to check for a sense of humour. Real fanboys have no sense of humour, and that's why Major Mike isn't one.

Q-Ball -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 8:52:34 PM)

As Cuttlefish says, maybe it isn't the terminology, it's how it's used.

Those claiming that others have a hidden agenda usually have one of their own.

fabertong -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 9:12:05 PM)

Q-Ball ....I think...has hit the nail on the head as far as what Cuttlefish was meaning......the term 'fanboy' is fine.......depending on it's usage....we have all seen good game discussions sidetracked by 'You only say this because you are an x or y fanboy'....as a way to discredit someones point of view....rather than embrace the exchange of views....and with respect....sometimes agree to disagree.....

usecase -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 9:14:08 PM)

It's all a bit pointless isn't it? We don't get to run controlled experiments. We have precisely one datum, which was US&allies vs Japanese Empire, which the US won by a knockout.

You can certainly argue that Japan could have done better; on the other hand its best course of action (in retrospect) would have been to keep out of the war altogether. Or, if war it were, just take on the European powers.

My main arguments are with AE's UI; it's much improved over stock, but the need for WitpStaff and WitpTracker shows the the way for WITP II. Please say there will be a WITP II :).

anarchyintheuk -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 9:16:27 PM)

Don't know that I've ever called someone an FB, but I prefer to reserve the option.

frank1970 -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 9:33:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: usecase

It's all a bit pointless isn't it? We don't get to run controlled experiments. We have precisely one datum, which was US&allies vs Japanese Empire, which the US won by a knockout.

You can certainly argue that Japan could have done better; on the other hand its best course of action (in retrospect) would have been to keep out of the war altogether. Or, if war it were, just take on the European powers.

My main arguments are with AE's UI; it's much improved over stock, but the need for WitpStaff and WitpTracker shows the the way for WITP II. Please say there will be a WITP II :).

??????????? ähm, yes???????? [&:][&:][&:][&:][&:]

KenchiSulla -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 9:53:16 PM)

I am a moderator fanboy. Do we have any?

LST Express -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/7/2009 11:52:22 PM)

I've wondered about the little word "fanboy" for along time. I just never was curious enough to ask about it.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/8/2009 12:45:58 AM)

Like AW1Steve I wasn't aware that the term has become so "loaded". For me it was just a short hand for preferences playing Allies or the Japanese side - and a joke in great sigpics like the "Brave Sir Robin fanboy" (one of my favorites) or "Tropical Disease fanboy" in this thread.  Now and then I have referred to the AE Dev team as "Allied fanboys", since they call themselves "Henderson Field Design" - only now I realize that some may have taken this as offense instead  of a tongue-in-cheek pun. I'm sorry just in case. I tend to agree with the views expressed by SuluSea, Jim D Burns and Buck Beach that this issue shouldn't be over-framatized. Cuttlefish's intention is noble, but people who use AFB and JFB as pejorative labels in "discussions" a.k.a. shouting matches pretty much disqualify themselves. But totally banning the term "fanboy" goes a bit too far. I'm a South Pacific girls fanboy - and I cannot see anything wrong with this! 

Mynok -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/8/2009 2:53:43 AM)

As my sig shows, I'm a proud JFB. I enjoy the challenge of them, and am not at all against making it a greater challenge where needed. From my perspective some of the greatest fun in this game is figuring out how to counteract the opponent and turn the situation to one's advantage. It is still a game, folks. It's intended for entertainment, as well as a bit of historical instruction. It isn't perfect by any means, but as long as I'm having fun, you'll hear no gripes about the game from me.

T nails it with his comment about having a sense of humor. It isn't life-threatening if your TF gets clobbered folks. [:'(]

Nemo121 -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/8/2009 3:00:24 AM)

Rob,
Not so much of the old please ;-). Yeah, I recently gave in and went for AE so we'll see if it motivates me to do some work on it or not...

Shark7 -> RE: To Kill a Mocking Word (12/8/2009 3:40:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The easiest way to recognize a fanboy is to check for a sense of humour. Real fanboys have no sense of humour, and that's why Major Mike isn't one.

Actually T, I refer to myself as a Japanese Fanboy. So I have to wonder exactly where I fall in all this. [:'(]

But CF is completely right in this: when we begin using the term Fanboy to silence debate then it is a real problem.

You can always tell which side is losing a debate, that side invariably resorts to name calling and insults, and that is what CF is wanting to put an end to. It's like saying "I have my point of view, I refuse to see it any other way, and even though I have no basis for my argument, no evidence to support it and I am completely wrong, I won't admit it, so you you must be a <insert derogatory term here>". And that is something I find distasteful as well. If you have no facts and no reasonable argument against a position just admit it and move on, don't resort to flinging insults.

Basically it comes down to this: In a forum discussion if you find yourself using terms in a purposely derogatory manner, you have already lost the discussion, just move along.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI