New Idea for future version (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

Brisbin -> New Idea for future version (12/19/2009 3:39:21 PM)

The game can be complex for the beginner with so many different units. It would be fun if you commanded just 1 sub or 1 battlegroup or 1 squadron at the beginning. The computer would command the rest of the forces for whatever side you are on. The better you do the higher rank you get and the more units you will command. What do you think?

TonyE -> RE: New Idea for future version (12/19/2009 4:23:56 PM)

I know most of the hard core players would not go for that exact model. What I think most of us have been aching for however is a computer staff that does useful things. If I don't want to manage that carrier group, give the staff some rough orders (bomb the %@!&^ out of Libya while maintaining a moderate self defense level against submarine attack). So from the long-time player camp I think you'd get agreement on much improved computer staff support but limiting the scope of what you can control would really grate on existing players. For the strict rank adherence there is Navy Field and a couple of the old great naval battles games.

A separate but related 'dream' of multiplayer could also help alleviate the overwhelming of a beginner since the MP model is to allow multiple commanders per side. A more experienced player could handle the bulk of the groups while a less experienced player could focus on a smaller command.

Third note, there are a number of small scenarios with few units, some of the most amazing scenarios have few units. Others might suggest some (I'm more of a monster scenario guy and don't have scenario memory <g>).

Brisbin -> RE: New Idea for future version (12/19/2009 7:25:10 PM)

I think it would be kinda fun.  Maybe you would start off with an older submarine if you choose to command a sub and work your way up.  This idea is kinda similar to Falcon 3.0 where you would have an airwing that would effect the whole battlefield.  Off course this could be just an option.  It would be fun if you could see how one Akula could effect the scope of a much bigger battle.

hermanhum -> Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB (12/19/2009 8:26:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brisbin

It would be fun if you commanded just 1 sub or 1 battlegroup or 1 squadron at the beginning. The computer would command the rest of the forces for whatever side you are on.

The other version of computer Harpoon (Harpoon3) could offer you something like that. Some scenarios have been written with that in mind -- player control of one/few units while the AI controls all the other allied units. For example, if you were in command of a single sub, you might act as the forward scout for a CVBG by detecting, classifying, and selecting targets for the air group. There aren't many written in this manner, but I think that a few such scenarios exist.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI