....beating the dead horse... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath

Harbinger -> ....beating the dead horse... (1/5/2010 2:16:03 AM)

First, I want to apologize to the entire community for my ranting in another thread entitled "Gameyness". I apologize only for the rant, not the intent. There are times when one must move towards the extreme in order for a point to be made. I felt this was one of those times.

I admire those who wish to have a historically accurate game based on the realistic capabilites of the nations and what was possible during this conflict. Hopefully one day, with the help of the WI staff and modifications made by others, their dream will be realized. I'll be one of many standing in line to get a copy of that scenario.

Too many times have I seen new players and would be contributors abandon a game because of the forums. I myself, have been one of those players. To be treated as less than worthy simply because one doesn't agree with what was said is poor judgement. You have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you speak.

The entire community benefits from the influx of new players and ideas. Encouraging these players to continue to discover what this game is capable of should be a priority, not an excuse to display superiority.

I submit that Time of Wrath has a level of sophistication beyond what many can see. I don't mean this as a slight towards anyone. Simply put, the elegance of the systems allow for so many different strategies that mastery will be rewarded only through diligence of examing the many varied positions of play.

Let me give you an example;

Uxbridge has a mod called ETO in which he has created a Trade Box for the Axis and their minors in the Balkans. This seems reasonable on the surface. Why would the Balkan countries, once active, not be able to trade resources directly with one another and the Axis powers? In the standard game, this was handled via use of the F11. In ETO the trade box performs this function, requiring different hexes to be controlled to accomodate this trade.

After careful examinations and many games, I have discovered the following for the standard game;

If the Axis declare war and conquer Yugoslavia, take pains to ensure that Split is a German port. When war is declared on Greece by the Axis, make sure Bulgaria is an active Axis minor ally and that they retain control of Thessalonika after the fall of this nation. This port is on the Mediterranean. Bulgaria also controls the Black Sea port of Varna. When (and if) Romania becomes an active Axis minor, they have control of another Black Sea port at Constanta. Now, resource trading is possible from Germany to both Bulgaria and Romania via Split to Thessonalika, Varna to Constanta, and the reverse may also be applied. Hungary is left out in the cold for trade, but they have other uses.

The point is that if I hadn't taken control of each of these nations and examined what their capabilites are, then I would not have realized this level of sophistication.

There are some among you who may already recoginze this strategy. How one arrives at the end result is not nearly as important as the fact that they did so. To label any strategy in a derogatory fashion is petty.

There are many who have more experience in playing the game than me. I will continue to refer to that experience as needed, however, I will not be tolerant of condescending or arrogant attitudes. I expect no less of others.

Respect is earned, not by words but by actions. Treating each other with respect will reap many more rewards for the entire community.

Game on and Good Luck.

Fair enough?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI