Weather forecasts (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support

Panta_slith -> Weather forecasts (7/2/2002 1:06:36 AM)

Every single time an AI TF, more often a Bombardement force, but sometimes a heavily mauled CV TF, is in a situation to be in aircraft range (either land or carrier based) the following turn, the next turn I systematically get the annoying messages "XXX air operations cancelled due to poor weather" Quite convenient!
I know that all games have to "cheat" in some way, and I can also assume that the clever Ai takes profit of bad weather conditions to escape retaliation (though I wonder how effectively can a ship fire her main guns in rough seas), AI meteorologists define a possible "aircraft free" gap, so bombardements and fast inaval ncursions are planned for that period.
But I would like to have some of that myself too, to be able to plan incursions taking into account weather forecasts and moonlight too (including tides will be a little too much) for the next few days, not only the almost useless announcement we already get. Skies might be clear here, but not there, so what's that useful for?
I guess that rather than calculating "realistic weather" hex by hex, it could be better to define a few zones in the map with diverse weather conditions and calculate every single situation according to the distance from that particular hex to that zone.
Another weather-related aspect is the influence of aircraft height and meteorology. Are low or medium height flying aircraft affected the same in overcast then in thundersorms, etc. conditions? A low-flying mission should be able sometimes to remain below the clouds, hence being able to find most of their tagets. Air recon missions, on the other hand, if performed high, could find difficcult to find a gap, something seldom happens.
Resuming, my two coins proposal is:
1-Weather conditions calculated according to zones, rather than randomly, hex by hex.
2-Extended weather forecast considering weather and moon, for at least a few days.
3-To take into account flying altitude while calculating if a unit can fly or not, and if it can find the target or not.
Cheers,
Panta

v.1.11

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI