RE: SO SWEET (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

JosEPhII -> RE: SO SWEET (1/17/2010 10:00:48 PM)

Will this game be Digital D/L only?

Will there be a retail Hard copy put out?

JosEPh [:)]

Captain_Proton -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 2:52:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

Yes, fleets (and all ships) need refuelling. When you're at war, having nearby refuelling locations is critical. Sustaining long-range operations requires some planning. There are mobile resupply ships that help with fleet refuelling. Some of the upcoming videos will go into more detail on this.

Asome, that will make for some very cool strategies.

quote:

Yep, pretty much. Although there's been a lot of great input from artists, Matrix staff and testers [:)]

My hats of to you sir [&o]

Captain_Proton -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 3:00:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain_Proton

Hi,

" (2001) RTS/RTT space game called; Conquest: Frontier Wars."

Hey Captain,

I checked out Conquest and I am wondering why I gave it a pass back in 2001, maybe I was deployed or something. But I checked for someplace to buy, thinking it would be jewelcase ware, and it is still FULL PRICED! Damn Ubisoft.

No way... that's just criminal... Here in the Netherlands I know they released a ubi classic series or something several years ago. I bought my copy when the actual game came out in 2001.

Try eBay. I know I've seen versions on eBay.

Captain_Proton -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 3:01:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

Hey....Conquest is still one of the finest RTS i've ever played...still on my HD!

True, I still play too

elliotg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 3:17:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II
Will this game be Digital D/L only?

Will there be a retail Hard copy put out?

JosEPh [:)]

Matrix always provides both download and boxed copy as purchase options. Boxed copy is mailed to you.

As for in-store retail: possibly, we're still working that one out.

martok -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 10:17:00 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok
On a tangentially-related question: Are you a fan of the Honor Harrington books? I ask because the way you describe your play style sounds a little like how naval operations in the HH universe work. [;)]

I'll admit that I had to look that up on Wikipedia - I hadn't heard of them. But looks very interesting, I'll have to dig out some of those books.

Yeah, I definitely recommend the series, especially if you like (or are interested in) military science fiction at all. In many ways, it's very similar to the Horatio Hornblower series (notice how the protagonists in both series share the same initials?), only it's set in space.

I'd -- naturally enough -- suggest starting with the first book in the series (On Basilisk Station) to see whether or not you like it. If you do, odds are good you'll enjoy the rest of them as well. Good luck!

@Aurelian: I've been purchasing them all in hardcover since War of Honor as well, if only because I can't stand to wait now when there's a new release out on the shelves. [:D]

quote:

quote:

Are fleets affected in this game by supplies? For example can a fleet run out of fuel supplies or ammunition supplies? Or am I thinking to complex here.

Yes, fleets (and all ships) need refuelling. When you're at war, having nearby refuelling locations is critical. Sustaining long-range operations requires some planning. There are mobile resupply ships that help with fleet refuelling. Some of the upcoming videos will go into more detail on this.

Outstanding! So few space 4x games bother modeling logistics in any kind of detail, so this news makes me happy. Thanks elliot!

lwarmonger -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 1:35:59 PM)

So, this game looks quite promising.  Three questions.

1st:  Will there be any type of tactical combat involved?  If so I would assume it is on a kind of scalable strategic/tactical map a la Sins of a Solar Empire?

2nd:  With such a large universe to play in, what are the types of opposition we are looking at as players?  Pirates and Independent colonies have already been mentioned (do these actually do anything, or are they simply things to conquer or harvest for resources), as have "grand menaces" to borrow a term from sword of the stars.  How many hostile empires are we looking at in a given galaxy (just a range would be nice... could it be hundreds?)?

3rd:  It was mentioned that resources are needed for colonial development and happiness, and that government types and racial characteristics are involved.  Is it possible to have civil wars and/or rebellions?  The reason I ask is that an addition of significant penalties for failing to keep your nation happy has always been a big thing for me, especially with the prospect of having to face elements of your own empire in combat.

elliotg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 9:10:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lwarmonger
1st:  Will there be any type of tactical combat involved?  If so I would assume it is on a kind of scalable strategic/tactical map a la Sins of a Solar Empire?

Yes, there is full tactical ship-to-ship combat - you can fully control any of your military ships at any time and direct them individually if you wish. The map is the galaxy itself - you can zoom seamlessly from a single ship out to the entire galaxy. Tactical combat takes place in this single map (like all other game activities).

quote:

2nd:  With such a large universe to play in, what are the types of opposition we are looking at as players?  Pirates and Independent colonies have already been mentioned (do these actually do anything, or are they simply things to conquer or harvest for resources), as have "grand menaces" to borrow a term from sword of the stars.  How many hostile empires are we looking at in a given galaxy (just a range would be nice... could it be hundreds?)?

Pirates will actively attack your and other empires, and can become quite strong if you don't squash them. Independent colonies trade their resources with you and are often great targets for new colonies, because they have an existing population. Independent colonies can also become havens for pirates - they'll ambush your freighters as they trade resources at these colonies - giving a kind of 'wild west' feel to them.

The maximum number of proper empires (not pirate factions) in the game is 20. This is mainly so that each empire can have a distinct identifying color. And IMHO hundreds of empires just wasn't very fun (I tried it [:)]).

Some empires can become quite large, and some races are naturally quite aggressive. So you tend to naturally get grand menaces in the form of evil, all-conquering empires.

And there's also space monsters that can be a real pain - they can disrupt trade and prevent you from colonizing valuable planets. Some of them are quite strong, and need several ships to take them out.

quote:

3rd:  It was mentioned that resources are needed for colonial development and happiness, and that government types and racial characteristics are involved.  Is it possible to have civil wars and/or rebellions?  The reason I ask is that an addition of significant penalties for failing to keep your nation happy has always been a big thing for me, especially with the prospect of having to face elements of your own empire in combat.

Yes, civil wars and rebellions can occur. Colonies can decide to leave your empire, either becoming independent or switching to another empire. So keeping your colonies happy is important. Colony unrest is exacerbated when you are at war for long periods - war weariness can become a problem for some races and government types.

Captain_Proton -> RE: SO SWEET (1/18/2010 11:49:30 PM)

quote:

Pirates will actively attack your and other empires, and can become quite strong if you don't squash them. Independent colonies trade their resources with you and are often great targets for new colonies, because they have an existing population. Independent colonies can also become havens for pirates - they'll ambush your freighters as they trade resources at these colonies - giving a kind of 'wild west' feel to them.

Apart from the mentioned above, can pirates spawn/grow into their own galactic empire if you leave them alone for too long?

I am really liking this living Galaxy game design here. The more I read, the more I want this game :-)

elliotg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/19/2010 12:30:52 AM)

quote:

quote:

Apart from the mentioned above, can pirates spawn/grow into their own galactic empire if you leave them alone for too long?

I am really liking this living Galaxy game design here. The more I read, the more I want this game :-)

Pirates don't own colonies, so no, they don't become a proper empire. But the more successful attacks they have, the more ships they obtain. They can also upgrade their ships and bases, getting some fairly advanced tech.

You can choose to make deals with pirates if you wish. You can buy a variety of secret info from them. You can pay them to not attack you. You can also pay them to attack other empires - but secretly, so that you're not blamed for the attacks.

lwarmonger -> RE: SO SWEET (1/19/2010 3:18:01 AM)

quote:

quote:

The maximum number of proper empires (not pirate factions) in the game is 20. This is mainly so that each empire can have a distinct identifying color. And IMHO hundreds of empires just wasn't very fun (I tried it [:)]).

Some empires can become quite large, and some races are naturally quite aggressive. So you tend to naturally get grand menaces in the form of evil, all-conquering empires.

And there's also space monsters that can be a real pain - they can disrupt trade and prevent you from colonizing valuable planets. Some of them are quite strong, and need several ships to take them out.

quote:

Yes, civil wars and rebellions can occur. Colonies can decide to leave your empire, either becoming independent or switching to another empire. So keeping your colonies happy is important. Colony unrest is exacerbated when you are at war for long periods - war weariness can become a problem for some races and government types.

So independent colonies are dynamic, grow, and can establish relationships with various factions? That sounds awesome.

Also, should a civil war/rebellion occur within your empire, does that create a new empire from a number of your colonies, fleets and bases? Or is a rebellion simply the secession of your said colony from your empire?

elliotg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/19/2010 3:47:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lwarmonger
So independent colonies are dynamic, grow, and can establish relationships with various factions? That sounds awesome.

Yes, although independent colonies aren't particularly partial to any empire - they'll trade their resources with anyone.

Another point with independent colonies: they're more likely to allow colonization from an empire of their own race. And some independent races are just not very friendly, and are very difficult to colonize.

quote:

Also, should a civil war/rebellion occur within your empire, does that create a new empire from a number of your colonies, fleets and bases? Or is a rebellion simply the secession of your said colony from your empire?

Yes, civil war means a completely new empire, splintering off some of your colonies, fleets, etc. Note that civil wars are fairly rare - they generally happen when your reputation is poor and a huge portion of your citizens are unhappy.

More commonly, individual colonies may simply get fed up with you and leave your empire. Especially if they're nearby other empire's more developed colonies.

JosEPhII -> RE: SO SWEET (1/20/2010 1:28:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeanD

No specific time locked down yet... but we're "close." The game isn't in alpha or anything.

Hope it's out by next month. I'd Really like a Good Fun Birthday present. ;) (even if I have to buy it myself :D )

JosEPh [:D]

Baleur -> RE: SO SWEET (1/20/2010 4:26:15 PM)

I hope its out next week :D

lordxorn -> RE: SO SWEET (1/20/2010 7:25:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

I hope its out next week :D

This is by

SeanD at 1/13/2010 1:25:41 PM original quote before being edited,

""No specific time locked down yet... but we're looking at a few weeks, not several months.""

So that put's it release date mid February at my best estimate.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: SO SWEET (1/20/2010 7:26:54 PM)

If the game is finished let it loose for good sake.Armada has had a good run by now.

Epsilon -> RE: SO SWEET (1/20/2010 9:22:57 PM)

I'm taking the new videos like the one about game controls as an indication that a release is not far away. I for one welcome my new 4x overlord :) - with my credit card that is!

Stardog -> RE: SO SWEET (1/26/2010 4:32:43 PM)

Dudes!!!!!!..

This game looks like it's going to Blow ARMADA2526 out of the Solar System!!!...

Bad news for me >>> Got's to Get's A New Rigg for this one!!
Old one>> Hardrive full and Ram not there & its to slow... :(

This is great news!!!

Keep up with The great Work MATRIX!!!!

AKA The dogstar

HercMighty -> RE: SO SWEET (1/26/2010 5:36:44 PM)

Erik posted in another thread about needing another week before released dates could be talked about.....

Lord Karg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/27/2010 1:27:00 AM)

OK, I'm hooked! I'm a long time 4X fan and this one looks like some excellent game design and programming has gone into it. There are a lot of creative features have been incorporated into it to add to the user experience. Also, a lot of sensible combat simulation constraints (refuelling, population morale, resources, etc.) to get my tactical and strategic juices flowing. The user interface looks well thought out and implemented -- which is good as a game this amazingly large needs to have a very powerful user interface. Thank you very much for the nice videos too. Just release the game if it's done cause I'm going crazy waiting!

[X(][&o][X(][&o][X(][&o]

Lord Karg

adamsolo -> RE: SO SWEET (1/27/2010 9:39:57 PM)

Did an overview of Distant Worlds at SpaceSector.com: http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2010/01/distant-worlds-a-new-real-time-4x-space-strategy-game/

Enjoy!

lordxorn -> RE: SO SWEET (1/27/2010 10:24:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamsolo

Did an overview of Distant Worlds at SpaceSector.com: http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2010/01/distant-worlds-a-new-real-time-4x-space-strategy-game/

Enjoy!

Cool blog, count me as a subscriber.

Marshall Thomas -> RE: SO SWEET (1/28/2010 5:31:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

SoM:

You know my tastes well enough, I think.  I found Armada 2526 bland and generic.  Will I enjoy this more?

Well, Armada may have lacked some distinguishing qualities from previous 4X games, sure. I still find Armada to have an enjoyably strategic style of play, however.

Now, in regards to Distant Worlds, I'm not going to flat out say "yes, you will enjoy this" because I don't want people to blame me for buying a game and being dissatisfied. That's what an official reviewer is for... [:D]

In all seriousness, in regards to unique style of gameplay - I can honestly say that Distant Worlds stands out as being something very new. I can also say, with pretty good conviction, that I haven't ever played a 4X space game quite like this before - and I mean that in a GOOD way (and let me confess, if there is a 4X game out there, I've probably played it). Comparisons will be drawn, inevitably, to the Europa Universalis series, had it been set in space. That is somewhat accurate, but misses some of the really neat "living space empire" feel of the game. Imperium Galactica, waaay back when, also had some similarities, but the scope of IG is FAR less than DW.

Let me give you a little taste:
What other game do you know of, where you have about 4 planets colonized over about 3 different solar systems (2 in your home, and 1 each in other places). You have built some space stations over these, and sent some builder ships out to rich gas giants and non-habitable planets in these systems to building mining outposts. After a while, you notice that the civilian dock of one of your space stations is building a mining transport ship (these are run by civilian companies) - it finishes and you watch it fly to pick up luxury resources from one of your non-habitable ice worlds (lets say a type of exotic animal fur). The ship wheels back into your space station - dropping of the goods, and increasing the happiness and economic growth of your colony.

During all this - you, as the player - did not order any action (well other than the initial building of the mining outpost and space station above your colony). You might have been sending a fleet to smash pirates, building a research station over an interesting moon, deciding what future worlds to colonize, conducting diplomacy, or just watching your empire grow. The mining took place all on its own - as part of a living empire.

How does that strike you as unique? [8D]

There is more about the "living empire" that I would like to talk about, but I don't want to get too detailed lest I overstep and lest things change before release (and don't ask me when, they don't give peons this information).

SoM

If this is like Europa-Universalis in space, then I've got to buy it the day it comes out! ...can't wait!!

Okim -> RE: SO SWEET (1/29/2010 9:13:23 AM)

Hi everyone.

This games is quite promising. I wonder why there is not much info about it on major game portals. It definitely deserves more attention.

quote:

Nearly all of the dangers to freighters are at the endpoints of a trip, either at the origin or the destination. It's very difficult to intercept a ship while it is enroute.

Is there any way to intercept a ship in hyperspace? Can we make ambushes in deep space by using hyperspace inhibitors and other similar nasty thingies?

Can your exploration vessels and other ships scan enemy ships and show what they are carrying?

Can we board and capture enemy ships? And if so is there an option to analyse it (tech salvaging and such? Can we scrap ships and abandon planets?

The last question is about modding. How easy it will be to access game data files for modding and will there be any tools for modding provided with the release?

Captain_Proton -> RE: SO SWEET (1/29/2010 5:40:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamsolo

Enjoy!

Cool blog Adamsolo, I've bookmarked this one in my Games/News folder [:)]

elliotg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/30/2010 12:15:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okim
quote:

Nearly all of the dangers to freighters are at the endpoints of a trip, either at the origin or the destination. It's very difficult to intercept a ship while it is enroute.

Is there any way to intercept a ship in hyperspace? Can we make ambushes in deep space by using hyperspace inhibitors and other similar nasty thingies?

There are hyperdeny components, but these are for stopping a ship from escaping to hyperspace, not for pulling them out of hyperspace. One of the exciting battle tactics is to try and catch a fleeing ship before it can make the jump to hyperspace. Different hyperdrive components can initiate a jump faster than others.

quote:

Can your exploration vessels and other ships scan enemy ships and show what they are carrying?

Not currently, but that sounds like a cool idea. I'll put that on my list... [:)]

quote:

Can we board and capture enemy ships? And if so is there an option to analyse it (tech salvaging and such? Can we scrap ships and abandon planets?

No ship boarding at the moment. But if there's enough demand, I may add this.

quote:

The last question is about modding. How easy it will be to access game data files for modding and will there be any tools for modding provided with the release?

The game is extensively moddable. All ship graphics, alien races, name files, etc are easily edited. Most content is plain PNG image files or text files. You can make a custom theme that contains a complete set of mods and switch to that theme in-game from the main menu. I'll post more info on modding closer to release.

Okim -> RE: SO SWEET (1/30/2010 10:50:31 AM)

Thanks for the answers.

I have some other questions if you don`t mind )

Ship design.

While looking at your screenshots i`ve noted that there are several classes of ship vessels (roles) that have their own size value. Components have their own size too, so the mechanics of ship design is quite understandable. How many ship classes (roles) will we have in DW? Do we have to research new ship sizes?

Are there any items that require a specific ship size?

Is there a maximum number of weapons/drives per ship?

What about abandoning planets?

Gertjan -> RE: SO SWEET (1/30/2010 2:19:37 PM)

Seems to become a great game. I like most Space strategy games. I have also played Conquest quite some time and really like this economic/empire management approach to the game. I hope the AI is quite good, in particular as regards to diplomacy.

elliotg -> RE: SO SWEET (1/30/2010 7:53:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okim
While looking at your screenshots i`ve noted that there are several classes of ship vessels (roles) that have their own size value. Components have their own size too, so the mechanics of ship design is quite understandable. How many ship classes (roles) will we have in DW? Do we have to research new ship sizes?

There's more than 20 different types of ships and bases. As your research in Construction progresses you can build larger ships and bases. To start with you can only build quite small ships, but as your research level increases you can build progressively larger ones.

quote:

Are there any items that require a specific ship size?

Some components that you put into your ship designs are very large, so you may not be able to design a ship or base that uses them until you have higher construction tech to build a ship or base of sufficient size.

quote:

Is there a maximum number of weapons/drives per ship?

No maximum limits, except for the overall ship/base size. The bigger your ship, the more engines it needs to move it at a reasonable speed, and thus the more reactors it needs to power its engines, and thus the more fuel tanks it needs to fuel the reactors, etc... So you need to make reasonable trade-offs in these areas.

quote:

What about abandoning planets?

You mean having a colony in your empire that you abandon? No, this is not in the game. How would you intend to use this?

Jamerson89 -> RE: SO SWEET (1/30/2010 8:42:56 PM)

You mentioned that there might be hidden technology to destroy entire planet.  Is there any technology to destroy stars?  Alternatively, is there any technology to create planets or stars using similar technology?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI