looking for specific books (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

lolz -> looking for specific books (2/19/2010 8:20:52 PM)

i almost finished reading "japanese destroyer captain" by hara tameichi.
excellent book explain about the battles and life aboard japanese destroyer.

im looking for book of that kind but from the allied(aussie,dutch,british,american)side.
if anyone got any good name of a book,please throw the bone[:)]

Bradley7735 -> RE: looking for specific books (2/19/2010 9:41:16 PM)

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
James D Hornfischer

Excellent book about the US destroyers in the battle of Samar.

Bradley7735 -> RE: looking for specific books (2/19/2010 9:43:15 PM)

If you're interested in submarines, "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair is probably the best sub book i've read.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: looking for specific books (2/19/2010 10:55:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

If you're interested in submarines, "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair is probably the best sub book i've read.

Toss it into the cart with "Run Silent, Run Deep" and O'Kane's "Clear the Bridge!" and you've got the set.

pompack -> RE: looking for specific books (2/19/2010 11:31:11 PM)

"Tin Can Sailor" C Raymond Calhoun

USS Sterett

"South Pacific Destroyer" Russell Crenshaw

USS Maury

SuluSea -> RE: looking for specific books (2/20/2010 12:21:43 AM)

http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Friday-Off-Guadalcanal-Cortesi/dp/0821720260

Quick read and a pretty good book , reading Savo right now-

Last Stand is a tremendous book, must read for any fans of the Pacific.

Silent Victory in my best description is akin to Beregund's Fire in the Sky for detail only it's about the USN sub effort . A very interesting part in the book covers faulty torpedoes and the politics behind it. Excellent read, I think it's close to 1,000 pages.

Chickenboy -> RE: looking for specific books (2/20/2010 1:03:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

+1. Also a fan of "Fire in the Sky" and "Touched by Fire" by Beregund.

I enjoyed S. E. Morrison's 'The official history of the USN in WWII', but it's 15 volumes. If you're just particularly interested in a few regions, you can pick up the volumes dedicated to Leyte (my favorite) and Guadalcanal (runner up). The former has a more balanced overall picture of the battle of Samar straights, Surigao, the lead up to these battles and some of the events afterwards, including the initial Kamikaze strikes in 10/44. I like Morrison's work because he discusses battles that receive pretty short literary shrift as well as 'the biggies'.

sfbaytf -> RE: looking for specific books (2/20/2010 4:25:09 AM)

"Tin Cans" by Theodore Roscoe is a good read covers the Pacific, Atlantic and Med. He also wrote "Pig Boats"

I love my Tin Cans. They make great Privateers. Have some from Dec 7th 1941 still in action.

John 3rd -> RE: looking for specific books (2/20/2010 6:48:47 AM)

The First Team pair of books is magnificent.  Don't think it quite matches what you are looking for but they are a great read!

There is also a very good, recent book on the USS Houston.  Don't recall the title but it is pretty fair.

lolz -> RE: looking for specific books (2/20/2010 9:15:35 AM)

thanks,i ordered tin can and looking into the other books

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI