Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

drillerman -> Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 3:17:17 PM)

Ok everyone, You are being sent to a desert Island and you can only take one 4X game with you.
............And to all the smart arses, yes you are taking a PC and the desert Island does have a plug with power half way down one of the palm trees on the beach you being left on.

So only one choice, that's it!!!!!

I'll start: ASCENDANCY

ypsylon -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 3:28:18 PM)

That is a tough one.

Split between BOTF and original MOO1.

Okim -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 3:29:42 PM)

Master of Orion 2.
BTW, good choice, drillerman.

drillerman -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 3:33:10 PM)

ypsylon, only one!!! Come on the boat is about to dump you on the beach, make your choice????

lordxorn -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 3:49:12 PM)

Imperium Galactica

drillerman -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 3:51:52 PM)

Okim, Yes I fell in love with Ascendancy. The 3D map, the 3D solar system, randomally generated universe, shame the AI was completely non-existant even with the "Antagonizer" patch.

drillerman -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 4:00:20 PM)

BTW, has anyone tried this free online game "Cosmic Supremacy". Google it!

Deto -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 4:18:24 PM)

I'd definately pick Master of Orion. Mrrshans4life!

Epsilon -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 4:31:49 PM)

"Sid Meiers": Alpha Centauri

JohnM -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 4:41:20 PM)

Space Empires IV

Tycow -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 4:44:30 PM)

Fragile Allegiance (the PC update of K240) :D

jnpoint -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 6:09:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epsilon

"Sid Meiers": Alpha Centauri

Yes, without any competition [&o]

MikeBrough -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 6:16:07 PM)

Gal Civ II

2ndACR -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 6:39:48 PM)

MOO3 just to cause a small uproar.........LOL

Seriously, MOO1 was my fav followed by BOTF........Never messed with MOO2, and really had super high hopes for MOO3, talk about a huge let down.

martok -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 7:05:10 PM)

Birth of the Federation.

While a few other 4x games have definitely captured my time & attention (most notably GalCiv2 and Armada 2526), none have yet been able to grab me the way BOTF does.

Sarissofoi -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 7:44:00 PM)

Long time ago that was Master of Orion II.
But then I dig MoO I.
And for me tis is the best 4x space game ever.
Nothing can compare to this.

ypsylon -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 8:40:53 PM)

Oh for crying out loud. Are you telling me that MS-DOS 2.0 & 10 MB HDDs are still alive on that island? [:D]

OK let it be BOTF.[:'(]

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 8:51:47 PM)

I only really play Sword of the stars with all expansions in 2010,so that is what would go.

Hopefully DW will change that.

impact -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 10:12:20 PM)

Well, I must say: MoO 1 (Klackon's ftw :D).
However, I kind of liked many of the approaches SOTS took. I played it with all expansions, and I like how different means of space travel influence your overall strategy. The game has many weaknesses, but kind of starts being fun when you have an AI war for independence on your hand =)
But wait, there is one pretty great 4X game out there: Beyond Protocol. Tough to get your head into and the graphics are terrible, but gameplay is very very deep. I just wish that online games would stop with all that guild crap, as BP is more or less unplayable unless you are member of the biggest guild there.

Aurelian -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 10:47:59 PM)

SotS, followed by Aurora.

Husker50 -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/21/2010 11:03:10 PM)

Space Empires V and Cosmic Balance 1 & 2

lordxorn -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 1:30:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impact

Well, I must say: MoO 1 (Klackon's ftw :D).
However, I kind of liked many of the approaches SOTS took. I played it with all expansions, and I like how different means of space travel influence your overall strategy. The game has many weaknesses, but kind of starts being fun when you have an AI war for independence on your hand =)
But wait, there is one pretty great 4X game out there: Beyond Protocol. Tough to get your head into and the graphics are terrible, but gameplay is very very deep. I just wish that online games would stop with all that guild crap, as BP is more or less unplayable unless you are member of the biggest guild there.

I was one of the BP original players and part of the biggest guild in BP beta before it self destructed. It is definitely a great 1st try at a true 4x mmo. However I got burned out on it, because you are right about the guild thing. Plus I was tired of all the fan boys who were drinking the cool aid about the direction the game was headed.

shinobu -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 3:40:02 AM)

Gal Civ II

jfpOne23 -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 5:03:45 AM)

SoaSE if that counts or Space Empires IV.

Anguille -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 7:18:17 AM)

Master of Orion

EisenHammer -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 7:25:41 AM)

MoO and SotS

Gertjan -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 2:32:02 PM)

You can only choose one EisenHammer ;). I would choose Gal Civ 2, although I've good memories about some other games which you have mentioned. Do people really still play BOTF? Does it even work with Vista or Win7?

hadberz -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 2:37:19 PM)

Imperium Galactum, I've played this 4x space game more then all the other 4x space games put together. It's been about 20 years since I last played it, so might be looking at it with rose colored glasses. [:)] I would also need a C64 [:)]

If we're talking PC only, DW is coming with me [:)]

JosEPhII -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 4:35:34 PM)

1st off, all great games that have been mentioned, hard choices.

The MoO series stands out for me, cause that's were I spent the most time.

<drum roll...ratta tat tat.....> The winner is!  MoO]I[  [X(]

Be kind now!

JosEPh [:D]

martok -> RE: Most Favourite 4X Game Ever. (2/22/2010 5:59:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Do people really still play BOTF? Does it even work with Vista or Win7?

Oh yes, quite a few people still play the game, as a matter of fact. You can find a lot of us hanging around ArmadaFleetCommand, which is probably the single biggest site dedicated to BOTF these days; we've got around 7000 members (albeit most of them are lurkers, of course). Feel free to join us!

The game generally seems to run fine on Vista and Windows 7 -- my best friend is able play BOTF without issues on the former -- although apparently some people have had to tinker around with the game's settings in order to get it working properly. Again, you can find more help & info over at the AFC site I linked to earlier.

Over the years, we've seen numerous excellent mods become available, which greatly extends the game's replayability. I myself am partial to the Balance of Power (BOP) mod, and to a lesser extent the Ultimate Dominion III (UDM3) mod, but that's just me. [:)]

Also, just in the last 6-12 months a few hardworking folks have found and implemented numerous bug fixes. Sadly, they still can't do anything about the memory leak problem or the AI (as they're both hard-coded), but a lot of other things have been addressed (such as the inability to contact minor races that are membered to another empire).

Finally, BOTF retains a small but active MP community. Since the demise of the game's MSN gaming zone, they've been playing matches on something called the Warzone. I've not played any MP matches on it myself, but apparently it works very well. If that's something that interests you at all, I know you would be very welcome!

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI