Corruption (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Sarus -> Corruption (3/3/2010 2:41:24 PM)

What are the ways to reduce corruption? The development of certain technologies? New forms of government? Release of distant colonies? Or something else?

And one more question: can happen coup d'état or revolution in the empire?

I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm a big fan of the Game, so I will try to improve my English:)

Sarus -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 3:05:49 PM)

+ my humble opinion.
I think the elections, the factional struggle, random political events could be a good feature of potential Expansion Pack. Imagine how this can diversify and deepen the gameplay.

Gertjan -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 9:35:41 PM)

I would be in favour of more politics!

Webbco -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 9:59:13 PM)

I play computer games to escape things like politics for a while...

elliotg -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 10:10:24 PM)

The factors that affect corruption and the resulting loss of tax revenue are government type and some racial characteristics. IIRC there's some bonus ruins that affect this too.

Revolutions and civil wars sometimes happen - especially when your reputation is poor. In this case part of your empire will split off and form a new empire.

Are there any other types of political events that you were thinking of? Not promising we can put them all in, but it's good to get ideas on the table.

Sarus -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 10:43:42 PM)

I'll try to disclose my wishes about domestic politics.

It seems elections, factions and lobbying group within the empires require serious improvement of the game concept, therefore it's rather a dream than my real wish.

The easiest and best way is the realization of the level of autonomy of the colonies.
Rich and distant colonies or conquered, ex-alien(?) colonies will require greater autonomy and lower taxes. In the future, before the player will have a choice:
1) to give the independence of the colony
2) to try to create some federation(or confederation) model of coexistence, in other words - to raise the level of autonomy of the colony
3) to intensify administrative pressure of the central government on the colony.

Sarus -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 10:57:14 PM)

quote:

The factors that affect corruption and the resulting loss of tax revenue are government type and some racial characteristics. IIRC there's some bonus ruins that affect this too.

Can the huge empire (100-200 systems, e.g.) has a chance to reduce corruption and not to collapse over time?

elliotg -> RE: Corruption (3/3/2010 11:13:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarus
quote:

Can the huge empire (100-200 systems, e.g.) has a chance to reduce corruption and not to collapse over time?

Corruption won't directly cause your empire to collapse. It simply reduces the tax revenue you receive - some is lost to corruption. So to compensate you can be tempted to hike tax rates, which can lead to unhappiness.

But you can find other ways of making money instead - free trade agreements with other empires, tourism, change your government type, etc. Or you can reduce your expenses - less ships, bases, troops, etc. Or you can improve your colonies more by properly defending your trade routes. There's lots of options.

Gertjan -> RE: Corruption (3/4/2010 9:22:22 AM)

How important is trade and tourism compared to the normal sources of income like taxes?

Wade1000 -> RE: Corruption (3/4/2010 9:29:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarus
quote:

Corruption won't directly cause your empire to collapse. It simply reduces the tax revenue you receive - some is lost to corruption. So to compensate you can be tempted to hike tax rates, which can lead to unhappiness.

But you can find other ways of making money instead - free trade agreements with other empires, tourism, change your government type, etc. Or you can reduce your expenses - less ships, bases, troops, etc. Or you can improve your colonies more by properly defending your trade routes. There's lots of options.

What sorts of researched advances such as structures and policies are there to reduce corruption?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI