RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Chickenboy -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:30:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Don't do it C, it's a trap. Dude. Just taunt the old farts from the safety of the pavement.

Such blatant misuse of 'dude' in a sentence, dude. Whippersnapper dude.

sprior -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:31:34 PM)

Go away or I shall taunt you some more.

Chickenboy -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:46:21 PM)

Alright, since I did the UNP, I may as well blather on further.

I live north of St. Paul, MN with my wife and two young children (son-5 and daughter-3). We've lived here for about 8 years now. Our travels (mostly chasing various educational opportunities and jobs) have taken us through PA, MD, DE, TX, NM, WI and CA. I grew up in the latter, my wife in New Mexico. When I was younger, we lived abroad (my folks were in the Peace Corps in Colombia).

I'm a veterinarian with a focus in poulty pathology. Kind of an odd job. Yes, I still eat chicken and turkey. I work for a large midwest University with a rodent (aren't they all?) mascot.

Most of my father's side of the family served in the armed forces. My uncle was WIA in Korea by a Chinese land mine. The other brothers and sisters were not active in combat theaters.

I've traveled for my job to some out of the way places in the former Soviet Union (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Georgia) and Vietnam. I'll probably be spending some time in Thailand before long. That's been interesting. Recreationally, I've been through thirteen European countries and a number South of the border. Since my mom's side is Quebecois, we've traveled through Canada quite a bit too.

As far as wargaming goes, I got into wargaming through the beer and pretzels sort of games-Risk, Stratego and later, Axis and Allies. Had a lot of fun with that. Like other gateway drugs, that led to Advanced Squad Leader. Computerized versions (Panzer General) of beer and pretzels sorts were also in there too. I still play Company of Heroes occasionally, but AE has become my time sink du jour.

I stumbled across UV back in 2002 and really enjoyed it. I was in line for WiTP and downloaded it as soon as it was available. Same with AE-baited breath. Totally immersive experiences. The PBEM experience is great too. I'm having more fun playing the IJ than I thought I would against other humans.

The avatar and siggy (Thanks DivePac88!) are a tip of the hat to Matrix for including such realism in their games. I don't recall any other game system that calculated the effect of base size on the incidence or prevalence of regional tropical diseases, for goodness sake! The level of detail and realism in these games is staggering.

Chickenboy -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:49:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I am very boring. I have a pretty nice house, a family, and a nice dog. Nothing much happens around here. I am from Illinois, which is a fairly boring state. I have a boring job, but it's stable and good enough to pay every bill and have some left over for travel and games and dogfood and whatnot. So I guess that's OK.

Boring is good. In fact boring is very good. As a matter of fact, boring is something that I aspire to. [:D]

I wish for boring. Life has other plans.

Like traveling to China in 24 hours to pick up a new daughter. A future WITP-AE player.....or maybe a designer of WITP 2?

The new kid adoption is awesome! Congratulations!

Chickenboy -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:50:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I never served in the military, but my father (Army sergeant, WWII), step-father (quartermaster, US Navy, WWII), and father-in-law (Army armor, Korean War) did so so that I didn't have to. Thanks, dads.

What a nice way to say that, Canoerebel.[8D]

USSAmerica -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:55:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll be 50 late this year, a milestone which leaves me rather stunned....

Sounds like you might want to consider posting in the "Geezer Thread", join us in the fun! [:D] The best part of getting old is inflicting revenge on the young and undeserving! Pay it forward! [:D]

AW1Steve, thanks for the invite, but I cannot wrap my head around the concept of being deemed a geezer. I think I'm having issues.

I don't know if it would qualify me as a geezer or not, but my cousin is 7 years older than me, and she has always been HOT! She is turning 50 this year. [X(] [:D]

BrucePowers -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:55:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I never served in the military, but my father (Army sergeant, WWII), step-father (quartermaster, US Navy, WWII), and father-in-law (Army armor, Korean War) did so so that I didn't have to. Thanks, dads.

What a nice way to say that, Canoerebel.[8D]

Yes I can say thank you to both my father and my mother. Thanks mom and dad.

Chickenboy -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 4:56:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds like you might want to consider posting in the "Geezer Thread", join us in the fun! [:D] The best part of getting old is inflicting revenge on the young and undeserving! Pay it forward! [:D]

AW1Steve, thanks for the invite, but I cannot wrap my head around the concept of being deemed a geezer. I think I'm having issues.

I don't know if it would qualify me as a geezer or not, but my cousin is 7 years older than me, and she has always been HOT! She is turning 50 this year. [X(] [:D]

Funny. Mike, I think you and I are the same age. Geezer. [:'(]

Canoerebel -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 5:16:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So, that means your cousin has always been seven years older than you, right?[:D]

You live in the South, so the fact that she is your cousin....

USSAmerica -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/17/2010 5:53:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So, that means your cousin has always been seven years older than you, right?[:D]

You live in the South, so the fact that she is your cousin....

We both grew up in Maryland, although she did live in Georgia for several years.... [:D]

Now, the fact that I'm married..... no geographical pass for that one. [;)]

rockmedic109 -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/19/2010 8:53:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

I am very boring. I have a pretty nice house, a family, and a nice dog. Nothing much happens around here. I am from Illinois, which is a fairly boring state. I have a boring job, but it's stable and good enough to pay every bill and have some left over for travel and games and dogfood and whatnot. So I guess that's OK.

Boring is good. In fact boring is very good. As a matter of fact, boring is something that I aspire to. [:D]

I wish for boring. Life has other plans.

Like traveling to China in 24 hours to pick up a new daughter. A future WITP-AE player.....or maybe a designer of WITP 2?

The new kid adoption is awesome! Congratulations!

Thanks Chickenboy.

I am currently in China. Shanghai to be exact. We will get our daughter in Changsha. And leave back to the U.S. in Hong Kong. Kinda nice to know where the cities all are before we go. It's hot, humid and we are staying away from the water.

See y'all soon.

AW1Steve -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/21/2010 4:57:48 PM)

Bump.

perkinh -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/22/2010 11:46:50 PM)

Born and raised in the Bluegrass and currently living in North carolina with a wife and 4 kids. Came to NC while stationed at Lejuene and never left. I have never been a forum person ,and rarely if ever post, but this seems to be some friendly folks. I just bought the game, and am trying to get a grip on all the details. I hope to someday play a real person, but hell i cant be the AI yet. I have really enjoyed reading the AAR, and hope that someday i will be posting my own ( or reading my opponents after the game is over). I have been really impressed with adverse reactions to "gamey" gimmicks. Most posts that i have read remind me of my golf partners, cut your throat, but only by the rules and in the spirit of the game. I really look foward to getting some stars and being a good member of the boards. Keep em lit.

John S -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/23/2010 4:58:43 PM)

I started in 1959 with Avalon Hill's Gettysburg.  Played AH games throughout grammar school and high school, dropped out of gaming during college but discovered Strategy & Tactics just after college.  Played board games through 1990 when I discovered computers and have not set up a board game since (this decision was helped, at that time, by having a three year old and a two year old daughters running aound the house).  I have enjoyed a bunch of Matrix games, HPS games as well as the strategy sides of games like Railroad Tycoon and Civilization ( in their various and less successful iterations).  I live with my wife of 33 years and the girls have recently finished college (thank heavens...expensive!).
I enjoyed WITP and recently started up with Admiral's Edition and am trying to understand all the changes and how they play out in terms of game strategy and tactics.  Boy do I wish there had been a May 1943 full war scenario like there was in the last version.  I really enjoyed "picking up in the middle" with WITP and taking it to the end. 

findmeifyoucan -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/23/2010 6:23:26 PM)

So since you were an AH boy did you dive into any SPI games as well? LIke War in the Pacific, War in Europe, USN, War between the States, Napoleao at Waterloo? All of those except for USN which was real high on the complexity level for the time were monster board games!!

John S -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/23/2010 10:20:25 PM)

USN was actually the first S&T game that I acquired.  I was a real fan of some of the S&T "monster" games - Wellington's Victory was probably the most well thought out game that I ever encountered (and, thankfully, the HPS system has borrowed from it heavily).  Similarly, I like the system that evolved from Terrible Swift Sword (which, again, thankfully evolved in the computer arena).  Also liked Wacht Am Rhein and Highway to the Reich.  Those games were complex and initially intimidating but once you understood the rules they were really fun, although time consuming.  With respect to the monster strategic games - War in the East was the first as I recall, then War in the West and War in Europe - I acquired them but never got past the "read the rules for hours, set up a scenario for hours and then decide that you don't have enough energy" problem.
The thing that I really appreciate about WITP is the understanding that it gives you about the logistics issues and the size of the Pacific and the impact of its size on operations.  After 40 years of wargaming, I have an appreciation for shipping issues, convoy issues and supply that I have never achieved in previous wargames.  I even read historical books with a better understanding of these issues now.  It is a great system which really is unusually educational.

John S -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/23/2010 10:23:13 PM)

Strike that "after 40 years of wargaming in favor of "after 50 years of wargaming..."  Boy that makes me feel old. 

What were your favorite AH and S&T games?

findmeifyoucan -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/24/2010 12:10:16 AM)

Yes, War in Pacific , the wargame. Supply and all the logistics involved was a game in itself. I never actually got through that game in it's enirety, maybe just the first year but it was a lot of fun. Yes, and it does make us appreciate all the work done in this game by the designers!! Well, for anyone who has ever played that moster game War in Pacific. 6 Map sheets alone just of the Pacific and more than 2000 playing pieces, wow.
War in Europe was my favourtie and which I played the most of! Wellington's Victory was also fun!!

Mac Linehan -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/24/2010 4:18:58 AM)

quote:

Q - Ball;

There are many informed and experienced payers; not enough time to read all the posts; yours are on my "must read" list - I have learned a lot.

Thought you should know (and I am not bored when reading them...)

Mac

steamboateng -> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! (3/24/2010 8:23:05 PM)

Ahoy there Matey's and Landlubbers too,
I be Steamboat, a retired Merchant Mariner; sailor by trade, pirate at heart, and landlocked pensioner in truth. From Massachusetts I hail, a nautical history behind me, and as a lad, in 1966, went to sea, as most do, following the Siren's wail and the Mermaid's tail. I plied me trade on any vessel what would have me and sailed all seas what would carry me. Starting me lifelong voyage in the Far East; Manila, Yokohama, Sasebo, Saigon, and the likes, incuding, Guam, Okinowa, and Kwajalein, and ending my journey, in 2004, at Kuwait, a sandlot of tea and trinkets, having peddled me services for over 30 years, to profiteer and country alike.
Bookish I be, filling many lonesome hours with my nose into the histories of places I've been and sights I've seen; and a curiosity of the way of things about me, turned me eventually to the military plane. It wasn't such a big jump from "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War" to Avalon Hill board games.
So, hooked I was, a sailor dragged on an invisible line; through histories, and battles, and politics and the such. And, so discombobulated became me mind, searching answers to the greater questions, I almost forgot the smaller ones, thus I searched for a mate what would ease my discomfoture, feeling like a cork cast upon the waves, no rudder to to steer my course. Not an easy quest, lads, to snare a lass into a sailor's life, for I wouldn't surrender it, too free I be in soul. But alas, no lass (for more than a fortnight) for many years. But, the sailor's angels were on me side, and I snared me a mate, well over 30 years past. She served me well, this sailor's wife, having put on the ways two lovely children, christened and launched with pride.
So there be my tale, a simple life and a simple living; framed in a sea of uncertainty!
My cup is raised (I am want to raise a cup or two, nowdays) to toast you all, soldier and sailor alike, serving now or a day gone by.
Regards
Steamboat

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI