Release Plan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Erik Rutins -> Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:12:42 PM)

Hi Everyone,

Ok, we've finally talked with everyone again, gone over all the remaining points and agreed on the final schedule. We will be doing our best to stick to this date and given that there is really not much left to do, we feel pretty confident about that. We're just waiting on the rest of the alien race art at this point, the rest of the game is finished. We're using the time for additional final testing and polish, but there is nothing left here that should be unpredictable, so we're optimistic that this is a firm release date. If the race art is finished sooner, we'll release sooner, but we believe we will release no later than the date below.

Distant Worlds will release to the public on Tuesday, March 23rd.

We'll keep posting some of the alien race art previews as well as other game info to help you pass the time until release. Thank you to everyone here for your interest and support! We believe you will find that DW is worth the wait.

Regards,

- Erik

Webbco -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:16:28 PM)

Thank you Erik and team.

drillerman -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:22:36 PM)

Have to say, being a big kid I'm dissapointed[:(]. I thought it might be this week! I feel deflated, how sad it that!
Any chance of releasing the manual in the meantime??????[:D]

Epsilon -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:29:07 PM)

Yeah I'm trying hard not to be disappointed as well, given the words last week that practically only a few days worth of work was left, I as others, had expected something this week. This really ruined the joy for me, and I'm not at interested now as I was before this announcement.

tgb -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:31:49 PM)

Thanks for the update.  At least we all know where you guys are at in terms of a schedule.

Gargantou -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:34:10 PM)

Good thing Infinite Space(An Nintendo DS space strategy-RPG) comes out on the 16th, that'll keep my occupied til DW is out!

magickoji -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:36:32 PM)

wow... wasn't expecting that... over two weeks out. Before release. Was expecting it sooner, oh well. I guess there's nothing that we can do but wait.

Thanks Erik, at least we know now. :)

Erik Rutins -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:37:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epsilon
Yeah I'm trying hard not to be disappointed as well, given the words last week that practically only a few days worth of work was left, I as others, had expected something this week.

I don't recall ever saying that "only a few days worth of work was left".

I did say last week that we had originally expected to release then but had to delay while the art was completed. I can see how that could be seen as suggesting a release sooner than March 23rd. In fact, I couldn't project the new date yet as we had originally expected the race art to be done before last week and we needed to get back with the artist and go over the plan again to make sure we had a new realistic schedule.

I think everyone here has agreed that the race art is great - unfortunately it takes time to make art that looks that good and it happens in this case that this is the last piece we're waiting for. Most projects in the end come down to "one last thing" that needs to be done.

In any case, March 23rd is not far away and I think you'll find that after release, worrying about the difference of a week or two will seem trivial.

Regards,

- Erik

Epsilon -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:45:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Yeah I'm trying hard not to be disappointed as well, given the words last week that practically only a few days worth of work was left, I as others, had expected something this week.

I did say last week that we had originally expected to release then but had to delay while the art was completed. I can see how that could be seen as suggesting a release sooner than March 23rd.

Yeah I was 'reading between the lines'. I agree that you did not say those specific words. It's true that when you look back time is fleeting, but when you look ahead 2 weeks can seem a long time, especially when it's something like this, I can't remember when I've last anticipated a game as much as with Distant Worlds, and thats saying something for someone who's 38 years old and have been playing computer games since pong :P

lordxorn -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 8:48:41 PM)

As much as I wan't to [sm=00000003.gif], I am thinking about the hamster looking race before and after art, and I will happily wait. I guess I can invest my gamer dollar on SupCom2 for now. [:'(]

shinobu -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:05:20 PM)

Thanks for the update. Release date is now the day after my birthday. "Happy Birthday to me..." Again, thanks to everyone for all their hard work.

Wade1000 -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:09:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

I did say last week that we had originally expected to release then but had to delay while the art was completed. I can see how that could be seen as suggesting a release sooner than March 23rd. In fact, I couldn't project the new date yet as we had originally expected the race art to be done before last week and we needed to get back with the artist and go over the plan again to make sure we had a new realistic schedule.

I think everyone here has agreed that the race art is great - unfortunately it takes time to make art that looks that good and it happens in this case that this is the last piece we're waiting for. Most projects in the end come down to "one last thing" that needs to be done.

In any case, March 23rd is not far away and I think you'll find that after release, worrying about the difference of a week or two will seem trivial.

Regards,

- Erik

What he said. Great art takes time. The art is great and beautiful and I appreciate it. I can wait even longer than the given date.

Tycow -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:30:44 PM)

Bleh. Knew it was too much to expect it this week. Never mind though, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Keep up the good work Matrix!

23rd will be a late birthday present! :)

cdbeck -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:48:54 PM)

Maybe, if you all ask nicely, some of us beta testers will write up something else to pass your time!

[;)]

Sarissofoi -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:51:16 PM)

Ah crap.
You should do some nice 2d graphic not art.
2D is suprerior.
Bleh.
Good thing I have time to get Star Wolves 3 now.

LarryP -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:58:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Maybe, if you all ask nicely, some of us beta testers will write up something else to pass your time!

[;)]

I know, an autobiography. You start one SoM. [;)]

drillerman -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 9:59:09 PM)

I know I've been banging on about releasing the manual but seriously would this possible?
Why not start pre-orders that lets you d/l the manual.
I certainly would pre-order, don't know if anyone else would?[&:]

Tycow -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:03:39 PM)

I would also pre-order.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:04:24 PM)

We don't do pre-orders, but I will see about releasing at least an excerpt from the manual as a preview.

Deto -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:04:46 PM)

Ooh, Fine with that. I'm happy we have some date to aim to :) And I have time to finish my ships and do some extra hours to work so I can have days off :D

drillerman -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:05:58 PM)

Thanks Erik,

Tha would be great. Do a 70 page excerpt and leave out the credits. we can catch up with those when the game is released?[:D]

drillerman -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:07:00 PM)

Deto,

What prog do you use to draw your ships. I am dead jealous, please tell me!

Thanks

x2yzh9 -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:14:21 PM)

So, this may seem a bit irrational, since (i think) the release date is set in stone but....

Is it possible to release the current version of it, and have people pay the same amount and stuff, and maybe apply the race art in a later patch? Of course, you could put an agreement up stating that when they buy the item. But as well, people who want to wait for the race art in can of course, get the updated regular version on the 23rd.

But, I know this probably won't go through with everyone, which is fine and all-Just a suggestion.

Gertjan -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:33:33 PM)

THanks for the heads up. I understand the issue with the artist. I would welcome a detailed AAR, not only describing the game aspects (as Son of M already did), but also following a real gameplay example (not only the beginning). SOmething like Galciv 2 aars written by Frogboy. Since you are waiting for the artist, perhaps you could do something like that. I think it convinces many people to buy the game.

Gertjan -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:33:56 PM)

With screenies of course!

Mad Russian -> RE: Release Plan (3/8/2010 10:42:16 PM)

Or do an active DAR. Add to it once each day or something.

Once I get DW up and running, I plan on doing a DAR, like I did for FoF with my UnCivil War DAR.

Good Hunting.

MR

EisenHammer -> RE: Release Plan (3/9/2010 12:37:05 AM)

I should have gotten (AoD) Arsenal of Democracy a couple weeks ago.[&:]

LarryP -> RE: Release Plan (3/9/2010 1:52:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

I should have gotten (AoD) Arsenal of Democracy a couple weeks ago.[&:]

I got it the day it came out. It's a long way off from Distant Worlds, but it works, kind of. [8|]

Xmudder -> RE: Release Plan (3/9/2010 5:29:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: x2yzh9

So, this may seem a bit irrational, since (i think) the release date is set in stone but....

Is it possible to release the current version of it, and have people pay the same amount and stuff, and maybe apply the race art in a later patch? Of course, you could put an agreement up stating that when they buy the item. But as well, people who want to wait for the race art in can of course, get the updated regular version on the 23rd.

But, I know this probably won't go through with everyone, which is fine and all-Just a suggestion.

I'd also love to get beta access with a pre order, I just want the game, and can live with the placeholder art.

Deto -> RE: Release Plan (3/9/2010 6:12:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Deto,

What prog do you use to draw your ships. I am dead jealous, please tell me!

Thanks

I use Autodesk Maya for my 3D needs :) If you're thinking of doing ships etc you might want to take a look at Blender . Its free and a good one, very confusing though.. :D

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI