How is air range calculated? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Mark Weston -> How is air range calculated? (3/19/2010 9:21:27 PM)

This question came to mind while looking at the aircraft radius circles and search arcs which are, of course nice and circular. But the circular rings and arcs imply that range to target is calculated geometrically - i.e. as a straight-line distance from centre-hex to centre-hex. Is it calculated like that, or does the game use what would have been called Manhattan Distance on a board with squares (i.e. counting hexes along the shortest path)?

Example. I set the naval search range of one of my air units to 14. The search arc just about covers a hex containing an enemy base. But if I count hexes along the shortest path (the way I would in a boardgame) the range is 16 hexes. Which range is the game using? Does anyone know?

fflaguna -> RE: How is air range calculated? (3/19/2010 9:30:06 PM)

It's hex-to-hex, not perfect circle. If you want to see the range to some hexes, the best way is to click the "Set Air Target" button and hover it over the base you are wondering about. The tooltip will pop up showing the range to the base without having to count it yourself.

Also, since it's a measured by hex-to-hex travel, the shape of your max ranges is actually a giant hex, not a giant circle.

Hmm, it would be a good suggestion to draw a giant hex for max ranges, instead of a giant circle...

RevRick -> RE: How is air range calculated? (3/20/2010 1:45:16 AM)

Near as I an tell by long-haired creeeping gnomes with abacuses (or is that abaci) and a mercator projection of Magellan's original map of the South Pacific. Beats the you know what out of me!!! I've had bases two hexes within the range circle be indicated as out of range. OY!!!

freeboy -> RE: How is air range calculated? (3/20/2010 2:37:28 AM)

um not sure what you meen hex to hex.. try attacking a base, it tells you the distances, it uses a calculation to let you know but it is circular, thus the pretty circles...
So the hexes are 24 or whatever, but the actual range my be 22... check it out.. I am alway looking at the base distance equation as it makes a big big difference where yo can reach out and tap tap tap on the enemies forces.... food for thought... it would be nice to get a point to point in game calculator for ranges..

LoBaron -> RE: How is air range calculated? (3/20/2010 9:56:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fflaguna

It's hex-to-hex, not perfect circle. If you want to see the range to some hexes, the best way is to click the "Set Air Target" button and hover it over the base you are wondering about. The tooltip will pop up showing the range to the base without having to count it yourself.

Also, since it's a measured by hex-to-hex travel, the shape of your max ranges is actually a giant hex, not a giant circle.

Hmm, it would be a good suggestion to draw a giant hex for max ranges, instead of a giant circle...

I knew about the hex-distances but not about the "set target" trick. Another thing learned. [:D]

Was counting hexes back since UV, time for a change I guess...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI