Anticipated features (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

frugaldude -> Anticipated features (3/22/2010 8:56:41 PM)

I have been anticipating this game for a few weeks now, to the point of registering on this forum. The chance to play this game is becoming an obsession. It is time for this long time lurker to come out from the shadows.

This is the first time in a long while that I have been so impatient to play a game. Impatient enough to pay full price on the first day of release. It has been many years since I have been so intrigued about a game. I have hungrily devoured everything I could find referencing this game. I guess it is a game I have been searching for long time though I didn't realize it until now. I think my money will be well spent.

There are so many features I am looking forward to, beginning with the flexible game setup. To have ability to generate universes of any degree of variation I want. I like not having to rely on some modder's vision of a universe, I can create my own vision with a few clicks of the mouse. With a little more work I can change race attributes or create new races if I want. I am sure I will spend many hours just creating universes which I may never play.

Another feature I like is the automation options which are in-game and which can be changed at will. Many options including colonization, diplomacy, ship building, etc. As the supreme ruler of my faction I can totally rely on my advisers acumen and let each of them have full authority to administer their responsibilities without my input. I can choose to be more involved with any or all of my advisers and approve or disapprove their suggestions. Or I can choose to take a hands on approach and choose not to activate advisers I don't want. On any given day I can play as my whims dictate. I can intervene as much as I want or leave my advisers to do as they will. It will be good to be the king.

I would buy the game based on these features alone.

But then there is so much more I am looking forward to.

JosEPhII -> RE: Anticipated features (3/22/2010 10:35:17 PM)

Well put!

And I believe most of us here share the same sentiments.

For me, this maybe the MoO4 (in Spirit and body, but not name) that I've Hoped and Waited for.

JosEPh [:D]

shinobu -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 1:50:30 AM)

I agree frugaldude- as JosEPh_II said "Well put!"

I am still a bit worried about how well this game is going to run on my computer. I have 3 MB of memory and a good graphics card, but the game just looks soooooo vast, I am still a bit leery. This is exactly the kind of game that traditionally has issues such as memory leaks. That being said, I am VERY impressed with the developers so far, and am willing to place my trust in them and buy the game on the first day it is released.

hadberz -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 2:59:52 AM)

Your computer should be fine, my 6 year old laptop (2 GB memory) runs DW without any issues. I don't notice too much difference compared to my new computer. New computer bring 6 GB memory, quad cpu, ATI 4870 video.

martok -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 3:35:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shinobu

I am still a bit worried about how well this game is going to run on my computer. I have 3 MB of memory and a good graphics card, but the game just looks soooooo vast, I am still a bit leery. This is exactly the kind of game that traditionally has issues such as memory leaks.

While I definitely sympathize with your concerns regarding how well the game is going to run, I'm not too worried. Most Matrix titles don't need a monster rig, and I doubt Distant Worlds is going to be the exception to the rule. [:)]

shinobu -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 3:40:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

Your computer should be fine, my 6 year old laptop (2 GB memory) runs DW without any issues. I don't notice too much difference compared to my new computer. New computer bring 6 GB memory, quad cpu, ATI 4870 video.

hadberz- Thanks for the input. In fact, thanks for your posts all the way through the build-up to release. Your experience as a beta tester and your willingness to share on the forum has been super. Much appreciated.

rhohltjr -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 3:43:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II
Well put!
For me, this maybe the MoO4 (in Spirit and body, but not name) that I've Hoped and Waited for.

Perhaps Joseph. I hope Code Force will stick with it and not cut and run like Infogrames did us with Moo3. [free plug]Code Force could not have picked a better publisher than Matrixgames though[/free plug][8|]. I've been here forever(b4 M003), mostly with the Pacific war games and they really are top notch. The community here is every bit as talented as the modders we know back in MOO3 community.[sm=character0272.gif]
rhohltjr[;)]

frugaldude -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 4:06:34 AM)

Thank you Hadberz. This is good news. This should save me a few bucks.  I have a four year old laptop with a two gig limit.
I wouldn't mind turning down the glimmer and fireworks if needed. Good thoughtful game play, reasonable AI and loads of fun are the key requirements for me.

lordxorn -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 4:13:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhohltjr

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II
Well put!

Perhaps Joseph. I hope Code Force will stick with it and not cut and run like Infogrames did us with Moo3. [free plug]Code Force could not have picked a better publisher than Matrixgames though[/free plug][8|]. I've been here forever(b4 M003), mostly with the Pacific war games and they really are top notch. The community here is every bit as talented as the modders we know back in MOO3 community.[sm=character0272.gif]
rhohltjr[;)]

I just reinstalled moo3, can you pm me some good links and recommended community patches/mods?

rhohltjr -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 2:40:34 PM)

I PM'd you with a link.
rhohltjr[8D]

Gargantou -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 3:02:23 PM)

The automation is indeed great, personally I probably wouldn't buy the game if it didn't feature the choice to automate as much or as little as you want, I just don't have the time these days for games that require you to micromanage everything.

Lucky for me most grand strategy devs seem to be realizing that the ability for the user to choose what areas to automate is the way to go.

jnpoint -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 7:24:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou

The automation is indeed great, personally I probably wouldn't buy the game if it didn't feature the choice to automate as much or as little as you want, I just don't have the time these days for games that require you to micromanage everything.

Lucky for me most grand strategy devs seem to be realizing that the ability for the user to choose what areas to automate is the way to go.

agreed!!
It is good that the user can choose themselfs what to micro-manage and what to automate. It is just my point, as long as they also take account of us who want to micro manage, us who have no life [;)]

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 7:28:45 PM)

The epic EU style living galaxy with the strategic resources are the great innovations I see in DW.

Gertjan -> RE: Anticipated features (3/23/2010 11:33:02 PM)

@lordoxon: how is moo3?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI