Suggestion - Construction stalled (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support

KW -> Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/28/2010 6:08:27 PM)

I've noticed there doesn't appear to be any indicator/popup/message to let you know when construction on a project is stalled (if there is, someone please let me know). At the moment, I can only identify when construction is stalled by periodically checking the construction yard screen and recognizing that certain projects have been under construction for what seems like longer than required.

Can we get a message on this?

Perhaps something like "Construction ship ABC has not made progress on Resort Hotel in the past 3/6/9/12 months because it is lacking resource(s) X, Y, and Z." It doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) an immediate thing since the usual transport of resources may cause minor delays of a couple days or weeks. But a notification that construction hasn't progressed any in several months would be extremely helpful.

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else but I didn't see anything.

Fishers of Men -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/28/2010 7:47:19 PM)

Elliot,

Your creation and concepts in this game show a lot of thought and creativity. I believe there could be some improvement in this area of ship construction.

I have been reading about, and personally experienced, the issue of vessels under contruction that lack sufficient resources to be completed. In this case the ship(s) remain in the shipyard slot blocking any new construction and waiting for a long time. A player could believe there is a code problem because there is little info available, but it is a lack of resources. Here are some suggestions.

If for example, the need would arise to build 5 destroyers, several events should happen. When the ship construction is fully automated, the A.I. would calculate the units of credit and resources needed, and build only the number of ships that it was able still leaving a small reserve of each resource. A scrolling message would appear stating the number of destroyers being created. If the player used the advice option, where there is a suggestion to build 5 destroyers, and the player says "OK", a calculation would be made to build only the number that the resources were currently available, still leaving a little in reserve. Then if only 4 could be built, then a pop-up message would state that. If the player were to manually build ship(s) at a shipyard, he would be warned with a pop-up that there was not enough resources available(and name which ones are lacking), and go ahead at his own risk.

It is not always easy to see what resources are available where you need them. Maybe the info is there and I need more practice in finding it. There is a lot going on in the galaxy and it is very hard to keep track of all your resources.

The possibilities in your amazing creation are endless. I commend you and your team for the hard work and patience that is shown in this production.

FoM

KonkeyDong -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/28/2010 8:19:26 PM)

I second (or third) this suggestion.

The timed approach by KW seems good. The game should also warn you immediately if your empire has no access to a required resource and all stockpiles are low. The cat race (Zenox?) start with an advanced shield that requires Dilithium Crystals and Kryptonite. The starting cache of these resources are quite small and deposits are rare. I had a hard time on my first game figuring out why not even measly scout ships wouldn't complete. Turns out they have that shield in their design by default. Quite annoying.

davidjruss -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/29/2010 11:58:14 AM)

I also find that it is quite difficult to know why a construction has stallled and there needs to be more visual indications of why.

In connection with this there needs also to be an overiide to mining ships to instruct them to mine a certain resource or gas which is stalling the construction of ships.

( In my game construction is stalled for want of Argon but the stupid Gas Mining ships will mine any Gas Cloud but an Argon cloud. )

DavidR

Joram -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/29/2010 2:36:54 PM)

Agreed, high on my wish list though will point out the info is in the empire planner.  It's just there is so many things going on, it's easy to miss so some kind of warning would be nice.

csebal -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/29/2010 2:59:37 PM)

+1

Gertjan -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/29/2010 3:01:03 PM)

+1

playedabit -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/30/2010 1:09:31 AM)

+1

A simple constructor stalled my capital planet's only construction slot for a very long time until I figured out it wasn't progressing at all. I was guessing it might be a resource issue but the on-planet stores seemed to be plentiful - then again I might have missed one material. Feedback in this case would've been critical. An immediate pop-up warning that the construction site doesn't have enough resources for the ship would be my preferred choice, but a delayed warning pointing out that a certain construction hasn't advanced for a week/month or so might also do the trick.

Midas -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/30/2010 6:29:53 PM)

+1

I personally would prefer, if said ships or mines COULD only be built if all the resources are available when the build command is given, with the resources being allocated to the construction yard/Ship and removed from the empire pool.

This would allow all jobs to be completed, provided the resources needed are available when the command is given. If resources are not available you would not be able to select that item to be build, it would also list the unavailable resources required and amounts.

ductape -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/30/2010 9:09:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Midas

+1

I personally would prefer, if said ships or mines COULD only be built if all the resources are available when the build command is given, with the resources being allocated to the construction yard/Ship and removed from the empire pool.

This would allow all jobs to be completed, provided the resources needed are available when the command is given. If resources are not available you would not be able to select that item to be build, it would also list the unavailable resources required and amounts.

+1 to this

I played the cat race recently and i cant imagine how they would even have developed a technology on their home world based on resources that were unavailable to them.

Easier ways to understand resources that you have would be nice. When you view a ships design, you can see what resources go into it. OK cool. But from there you cannot see what resources you have. You must close that screen and open up another to see what you have. How am I supposed to remember it all? A screenshot maybe? This could be placed in a column next to the required resources. Now the above suggestion will show you WHY you cant build a ship instead of just not allow you to.

Also, a way to incentivize the miners to go after a certain resource, perhaps a way to weight their targets similar to what the older game Majesty does. Just let the private sector know you really need this or that and let them go get it?

FerretStyle -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/30/2010 10:45:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ductape +1 to this

I played the cat race recently and i cant imagine how they would even have developed a technology on their home world based on resources that were unavailable to them.

Easier ways to understand resources that you have would be nice. When you view a ships design, you can see what resources go into it. OK cool. But from there you cannot see what resources you have. You must close that screen and open up another to see what you have. How am I supposed to remember it all? A screenshot maybe? This could be placed in a column next to the required resources. Now the above suggestion will show you WHY you cant build a ship instead of just not allow you to.

Also, a way to incentivize the miners to go after a certain resource, perhaps a way to weight their targets similar to what the older game Majesty does. Just let the private sector know you really need this or that and let them go get it?

I suppose you mean dilithium crystals. I've just spent the last hour trying to figure out why all my ships are stuck at 95% before realizing I had no dilithium crystals for their shields. Now I'm manually flying my one and only exploration ship around in an attempt to find any location that has this resource.

I guess you could say that their home planet somehow had a very limited supply of certain resources before becoming space-faring, and run out rather quickly unless you find more. That's the way I look at it, anyway [:'(]

tykemalcolm -> RE: Suggestion - Construction stalled (3/30/2010 11:53:47 PM)

I also agree that it would be nice to know when construction has stalled for whatever reason. I've just had construction on a space port pick up again after it was stopped and I wondered what was happening. Thanks to you guys/gals posting, I now know what to look for.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI