Don't add designs of found ships (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

OverlordCW -> Don't add designs of found ships (3/29/2010 9:52:40 AM)

Could you add an option to disallow the automatic addition of designs of ships I found?

OverlordCW -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/3/2010 9:03:26 AM)

bump

Mark Weston -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/3/2010 9:47:45 AM)

I suspect that's not possible, for the same reason that you can't edit a ship design when you already have one or more of those ships in service. After all if there's a ship in your fleet then the design of that ship must be stored somewhere in the game's database.

If you don't want it listed in your summary screens or construction dialogs you can always mark it as obselete.

BigWolfChris -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/3/2010 11:20:24 AM)

It shows on the design screen for the sake of information
But, because it's newer it "hides" your actual design... this part is what needs changing IMO

OverlordCW -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/4/2010 9:39:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Weston

I suspect that's not possible, for the same reason that you can't edit a ship design when you already have one or more of those ships in service. After all if there's a ship in your fleet then the design of that ship must be stored somewhere in the game's database.

If you don't want it listed in your summary screens or construction dialogs you can always mark it as obselete.

There is a workaround: first mark it as obsolete and then you can edit and delete it, even if there are still ships of this design around. But still, always cleaning out ones designs this way is tedious.

Shark7 -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/4/2010 3:31:31 PM)

You might actually want to retire an abandoned ship you acquire anyway, you get nice big research bonuses for them, and any ship you design is going to be far more powerful than the base designs anyhow.

OverlordCW -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 10:11:55 AM)

I always do this, but I don't want to have to clean my designs afterwards.

sbach2o -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 11:35:54 AM)

Maybe not adding them at all would, apart from posing a conceptual problem in the game's design, go too far.

Acquired designs should be a category of their own. They could also get their own filter settings, so we have something like:

1) obsolete designs.
2) current designs, not-obsolete or what you want to call them
3) 'alien' or acquired designs that we are able to build
4) 'alien' or acquired designs with components that we haven't researched

Then we could get the ability to move designs from category 3) to 2) by an explicit command. I wouldn't make use of that often, because once I have everything researched, i have tweaked one of my native designs to my needs. But seeing these alien designs as suggestions is a nice notion.

Under automated ship design, the AI should of course ignore the alien models.

Korvus77 -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 4:17:23 PM)

If it's a game requirement to add them, then fine. Add them with obsolete already checked. If I want to build it I can go back and uncheck it. It's annoying for the ai to queue up a bunch of defenseless mining bases because I forgot to make some stupid abandoned base obsolete. :p

Shark7 -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 4:40:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OverlordCW

Yes but after you retire it, you no longer 'own' one so you can safely delete it. [;)]

FerretStyle -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 4:51:16 PM)

I don't see why the game would need to add them. It was already mentioned but, you can mark in-service designs as obsolete and delete them.

OverlordCW -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 5:44:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Yes but after you retire it, you no longer 'own' one so you can safely delete it. [;)]

Obviously you don't get my point but that's ok.

taltamir -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/8/2010 8:06:24 PM)

quote:

Could you add an option to disallow the automatic addition of designs of ships I found?

i totally agree, actually I suggested it already... but slightly differently.
I suggested that a found design will be added as an "obsolete" design automatically.

if you want to get fancy about it then it can be added as a "found" design, which is effectively the same as obsolete but under a different name (so you can filter for it)

OverlordCW -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/9/2010 6:57:39 PM)

It seems this workaround has been fixed with 1.0.3

taltamir -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/9/2010 8:51:48 PM)

quote:

It seems this workaround has been fixed with 1.0.3

how so? i don't think it was fixed in the beta and it isn't among the 3 fixes that were made from 1.03beta to 1.03 final

PDiFolco -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/9/2010 11:40:30 PM)

I don't see the point here ... if you got a ship it has a design, if it doesn't please you obsolete it, what's the problem ?

OverlordCW -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/10/2010 10:02:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

I don't see the point here ... if you got a ship it has a design, if it doesn't please you obsolete it, what's the problem ?

This part.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Don't add designs of found ships (4/10/2010 1:07:04 PM)

I'm not sure this is a recommendation that everyone would agree with (not adding found designs). Personally, for my playstyle I enjoy seeing them in the list, even if I decide to obsolete them. Adding more ways to filter designs in the future is something I agree with though.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI