RE: Confused.com (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Nemo84 -> RE: Confused.com (3/30/2010 10:06:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Automated ships that take damage will leave the fleet to repair. If fleet automation is on, they will be pulled back into the fleet (or another replacement will be) when ready. If you are running your fleets manually, you need to keep track of their fuel and damage.

This makes manual fleet control pretty much impossible in larger empires, as players would need to constantly hunt after ships to keep their fleets intact during warfare.

Though reading this, I think many of us might be misinterpreting the fleet automation option. Can you state exactly what fleet automation AI will and will not do? Will it alter, move or disband player-created fleets? Does it treat the ships in a fleet differently whether they are automated or not? Will it create fleets containing non-automated ships? Will it create fleets to attack enemy systems, and is this dependant on the "Attacks against Enemies" option setting?

I really think many of the problems and complaints people are having with the game are because the whole automation AI, such an important and innovative feature, is simply not documented at all and people are unknowingly fighting against it instead of working with it.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Confused.com (3/30/2010 11:06:13 PM)

If you have Fleet Automation on, you can create a new fleet but you will be asked if you want to turn off automation. If you say Yes, then you can create a new fleet - and more. If you say no, it will create the fleet you suggested, but remove the current fleet (or a-nother fleet).

In the example I saw, I said no to turning off automation and it created 2nd Fleet...but when I looked, 1st Fleet had gone. Kind of makes sense - if I say "No - leave automation on" then why wouldn't it get rid of my other fleet as it deems it surplus to requirement.

I'm going to leave fleet automation on for a bit and see how it manages.

As for this
quote:

I really think many of the problems and complaints people are having with the game are because the whole automation AI, such an important and innovative feature, is simply not documented at all and people are unknowingly fighting against it instead of working with it.

I agree. That was my initial thought...that I was fighting against the feature...but purely through lack of understanding of what exactly it was doing.

Again with my example, I left Fleet Automation on so it disbanded 1st Fleet - like I said, I guess it thought it was a surplus fleet.

It's probably down to my own play style. I like to be very hands on. I like knowing where everything is. I'll position fleets in strategic locations so they can zip between systems if danger appears. I don't think I've given the AI fleet control a fair crack tbh...so I will do that and see what gives.

Nemo84 -> RE: Confused.com (3/31/2010 9:17:31 AM)

quote:

If you have Fleet Automation on, you can create a new fleet but you will be asked if you want to turn off automation. If you say Yes, then you can create a new fleet - and more. If you say no, it will create the fleet you suggested, but remove the current fleet (or a-nother fleet).

In the example I saw, I said no to turning off automation and it created 2nd Fleet...but when I looked, 1st Fleet had gone. Kind of makes sense - if I say "No - leave automation on" then why wouldn't it get rid of my other fleet as it deems it surplus to requirement.

In this example you give, did you create 1st Fleet yourself or was it an AI creation? And will the Fleet AI leave this player-created fleet intact even if the ships themselves are automated?

I'm really starting to hate having to spend my days at work instead of being able to experiment with this great game. So many questions, so little time. Better hope my professor doesn't read this [:D]

sanderz -> RE: Confused.com (3/31/2010 9:39:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo84

This makes manual fleet control pretty much impossible in larger empires, as players would need to constantly hunt after ships to keep their fleets intact during warfare.

Though reading this, I think many of us might be misinterpreting the fleet automation option. Can you state exactly what fleet automation AI will and will not do? Will it alter, move or disband player-created fleets? Does it treat the ships in a fleet differently whether they are automated or not? Will it create fleets containing non-automated ships? Will it create fleets to attack enemy systems, and is this dependant on the "Attacks against Enemies" option setting?

well said Nemo84

playedabit -> RE: Confused.com (3/31/2010 10:35:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Automated ships that take damage will leave the fleet to repair. If fleet automation is on, they will be pulled back into the fleet (or another replacement will be) when ready. If you are running your fleets manually, you need to keep track of their fuel and damage.

Please include an option to stop this behaviour. Ships left behind in this way are a pain to find and reassign. Anyway, doesn't manual control mean that I control who's in the fleet and who's not? Some level of semi-automation is always welcome (such as a 'go to and engage enemies' command would be), but - for me at least - this is a great annoyance. If they really need to do something then have ships in need of repair try to stay out of fight but remain in the fleet.

zenryl -> RE: Confused.com (3/31/2010 11:28:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

As for this
quote:

I agree. That was my initial thought...that I was fighting against the feature...but purely through lack of understanding of what exactly it was doing.

Again with my example, I left Fleet Automation on so it disbanded 1st Fleet - like I said, I guess it thought it was a surplus fleet.

It's probably down to my own play style. I like to be very hands on. I like knowing where everything is. I'll position fleets in strategic locations so they can zip between systems if danger appears. I don't think I've given the AI fleet control a fair crack tbh...so I will do that and see what gives.

Fleet automation works well but as I said we need to be abble to create fleet, give them ships and objectives. The AI don't modify the fleet and try to do its objective with what you give to it. If it can't be done the AI ask you for more ships. It's done in HOI3 and it's a great feature.

Because as it's done now, you have no control if you don't look your ship carefully they even go to attack independant world...

Nemo84 -> RE: Confused.com (3/31/2010 6:23:24 PM)

Ok, I've done some experimentation with automated fleet management and I'm rather disappointed frankly. So here's what I've noticed so far when manually creating a fleet of 6 destroyers at my homeworld and giving them some orders.

- Ordered the fleet to blockade a planet: no problem, behaves as expected.
- Ordered the fleet to move into system or to empty space: no problem, behaves as expected.
- Ordered the fleet back to their home planet with the "return home" function: AI automatically adds 8 frigates to the fleet, pulling them away from their automated patrol in my outlying systems, leaving these open to attack.
- Activating individual ship AI at any point: AI automatically adds 8 frigates to the fleet, pulling them away from their automated patrol in my outlying systems, leaving these open to attack.
- Ordering the fleet to attack a passing freighter: AI automatically adds 8 frigates to the fleet, pulling them away from their automated patrol in my outlying systems, leaving these open to attack.

At this point I don't even want to know what the AI would do with this fleet if I declared war. So it seems right now we either pick no automated fleet management and ships can randomly wander away when low on fuel or damaged. Or we pick automated fleet management and ships get randomly added or removed from player created fleets. Either way the player loses way too much control to a bunch of AI routines that may or may not end up doing what the player wants.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI