Ok, my WTF moments now. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

HsojVvad -> Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 1:21:11 PM)

The first time I thought I did something wrong. Now the second time I made shure I didn't hit or do anything wrong. I told my construction ships to build 2 bases. The first one built a research base at a neutron star. Then I told it to build a defensive base and it went to my homeworld. Ok maybe I think you can only have one building or structure at a star.

The second construction ship, I told to build a gas station at a Gas Giant. It got attacked, then the orders said it did nothing so I told it to build a gas station. Now it went back to my homeworld. WTF? Why did these 2 construction ships head back to the home world and do nothing? The orders still say what I wanted them to do, but they are nowhere near where they are suppose to buid it, the 1st in a different star system, the 2nd, at a different planet in the same system.

So what is going on? What is happening that I don't know what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Huwie -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 1:37:27 PM)

They have to pick up the required materials first, so they go somewhere that has them.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 2:04:48 PM)

Yes, they're heading back to get the required resources, if you give them time they'll load up and head back to build the base. They can't build it without the required materials.

HsojVvad -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 2:05:11 PM)

Thank you Huwie, I didn't know that, I was scratching my head trying to figure it out.

KonkeyDong -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 2:38:05 PM)

Seems logical, but there should be a mention somewhere in the selection screen to reflect that.

sbach2o -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 3:04:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KonkeyDong

Seems logical, but there should be a mention somewhere in the selection screen to reflect that.

I think that would be over the top. A mention in the galactipedia would be fine. Maybe it is aleady mentioned in galactipedia?

Now, the real test comes when you queue up N build orders someplace. Does the constructor collect resources for each project separately? Or does it pick up everything needed (provided the cargo space is sufficient) just once?

And how does it handle cases where closer warehouses have only part of the materials, or no warehouses at all (a somewhat unlikely proposition)?

IIRC, a constructor has a docking bay? In theory then, the materials could be supplied by freighters. Does that actually happen? I am not sure, but I think I have seen freighters around construction sites.

HsojVvad -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 3:06:42 PM)

My guess it would be each time it needs to make a project, unless it has cargo bays big enough to carry everything. I don't know, It would be nice to know.

sbach2o -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 3:12:02 PM)

Well, I was mostly teasing with my questions. In actual implementation, simple is usually best. It offers the least opportunity of stupid bugs creeping in.

impact -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 3:24:01 PM)

From what I could see, it goes back and forth when picking up resources for queued projects. But that is possibly because the cargo space seems big enough to pick up resources for just about one project.
However, when you start building a mine, let it pick up the resources, it comes back and you cancel and want to build a mine somewhere else, it uses the resources it has in it's cargo hold already, so that definately works.
Usually they pick up resources at the nearest space port. If the necessary resources shouldn't be available there, civilian ships usually transport them there for the constructor to pick up very quickly.

Wade1000 -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 3:34:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KonkeyDong

I agree. Getting confused is not fun to new players. Fun and new players drive a game to success. All the little things that cause confusion that lower fun should be refined.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 3:36:10 PM)

Adding some kind of note regarding that in its current mission is a good suggestion.

FirstPappy -> RE: Ok, my WTF moments now. (3/31/2010 5:56:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

My guess it would be each time it needs to make a project, unless it has cargo bays big enough to carry everything. I don't know, It would be nice to know.

This usually happens to me when I go to Home Depot. Most of the stuff winds up either tied onto the roof or in the trunk with the door swinging open - or both! [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI