[Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

nicodede62 -> [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (4/17/2010 10:40:52 AM)

End of project on the Matrix forum.

nicodede62 -> RE: MOD Gratuitous Space Battles (4/17/2010 10:43:31 AM)

ASHBERY76 -> RE: MOD Gratuitous Space Battles (4/17/2010 12:18:56 PM)

Wrong link.

nicodede62 -> RE: MOD Gratuitous Space Battles (4/17/2010 12:24:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Wrong link.

[8|][8|] Thank you, it's modified.

nicodede62 -> RE: MOD Gratuitous Space Battles (4/17/2010 12:24:59 PM)

Double post sorry.

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (4/19/2010 3:39:36 PM)

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (4/25/2010 10:52:10 AM)

drillerman -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (4/25/2010 6:05:06 PM)

Actually, I do quite like the engine exhaust like that!

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (4/25/2010 9:21:30 PM)

evildoer -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (4/25/2010 9:59:10 PM)

I like those ships, keep it up! [:'(]

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/5/2010 7:55:34 PM)

Veloxi -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 4:41:02 PM)

Heh, you should link to the original game upon which this is based. Just sayin'. ;)

Gratuitous Space Battles

Nibelung44 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 4:43:56 PM)

how do you manage to have different colors of exhausts depending of the ships/races?

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 6:01:28 PM)

quote:

Heh, you should link to the original game upon which this is based. Just sayin'. ;)

Everything is in the title of the mod [:'(] [;)].

quote:

how do you manage to have different colors of exhausts depending of the ships/races?

This is not me who decides, this is the game. I added just a blue line on the models once amended.

For information, the update is not for today, but rather for the weekend.

Veloxi -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 6:06:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicodede62

quote:

Everything is in the title of the mod [:'(] [;)].

Is it? Could you be more specific? I'm not seeing a link or a credit to the actual game anywhere in your post. Just think credit should be given where credit is due.

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 7:53:37 PM)

Ok, just for you, It will be notified in the next upgrade [;)].

Veloxi -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 8:02:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicodede62

Ok, just for you, It will be notified in the next upgrade [;)].

I'm sorry, but what does that mean?

And secondly, it's not just for me, it's for the guy who made the original GSB game, and so it doesn't look like you made all this stuff yourself without giving credit. You weren't trying to do that, were you? ;)

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 9:31:55 PM)

Credit notified now.

Veloxi -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/6/2010 9:37:59 PM)

Thank you very much. :)

vils -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/8/2010 6:39:46 AM)

my favourite mod for this game, very nice indeed! Thanks!

When do you expect the upgrade to be released (with the Swarm etc)?

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/8/2010 12:33:20 PM)

Thank you very much for the support [:)].

I think the update will not for this weekend, because I had lot of work this week. I lean toward an update next week, with only the Swarm.

The other races are very long to do, because of their particular design.

Edit: Work in progress [;)]

Erik Rutins -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/8/2010 2:17:15 PM)

Nicodede62,

Did you receive permission from Positech to use their art for a mod? I didn't realize until the recent posts above that you might have started this without their blessing. I think you should contact them if you have not and ask them if they are fine with this.

Regards,

- Erik

Fishman -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/8/2010 3:03:28 PM)

Using GalCiv's graphics for a GSB conversion seems like a bit of a mixed message.

vils -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/8/2010 8:04:42 PM)

Exellent.. keep up the good work! :-)

Veloxi -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/8/2010 8:39:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Nicodede62,

Did you receive permission from Positech to use their art for a mod? I didn't realize until the recent posts above that you might have started this without their blessing. I think you should contact them if you have not and ask them if they are fine with this.

Regards,

- Erik

Oh snap! ;)

drillerman -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/9/2010 8:10:31 AM)

If you credit the artwork to GSB/Positech and don't make money from the mod then I cannot see a problem. Plus, it is good free advertising for GSB.
Yes/No?

How many people over the years have made Star Trek or Star Wars mods for various games. Millions I would say. Don't forget, we are only talking about still images here not full games. I know there was a problem with Teardown and Games workshop. So all the Teardown did was change the names. As far as I could see all the graphics images stayed the same, plus this game is/was free.

DasTactic -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/9/2010 8:59:19 AM)

I think it can get a bit convoluted if you don't have permission. For example, if it is deemed that making a mod, even if it is free, hinders the sales of GSB and GalCiv then there may be a case for compensation. And from Matrix' position, if the files are available through their servers etc then they can be seen to be publishing the mod which could muddy the waters for them as well. Personally I think it is beneficial for them to allow it because it cross-promotes their games. Not sure about where StarTrek and StarWars are on this issue but I assume they turn a blind eye because it is made by and for fans of their movies so it gives them a longer life. Not sure how you would go if you used Disney characters but I think the story would be quite different.

Best to ask for permission as Erik said.

nicodede62 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/9/2010 9:37:59 AM)

Drillerman thank you, I feel myself less alone [;)].

I was going to take that kind of talk. I do not think the Stars Wars mod and the Star Trek mod have received the licenses to create their mod. Yet they are under development.

Gbs and GalCiv2 are excellent games, with completely different gameplay of Dw, why prohibit advertising for them. Especially since I do not sell the mod, is just for the community. Just for pleasure of gamers...

Their images and their worlds remain wholly owned by Positech and of Stardock.

Tophat1815 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/9/2010 5:48:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Nicodede62,

Regards,

- Erik

nicodede62,
All Erik is saying here is that it would be appropriate and if nothing else a proper courtesy to ask cliff the GSB developer if he is alright with his artwork being used.Personally I think he'll probably be alright with it and happy at the advertising he'll get.He's getting one additional sale for the full game bundle from me later today or tomorrow and thats thanks to you posting this mod and letting me know GSB existed!

Shark7 -> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles (5/9/2010 7:00:48 PM)

Also, Erik is spot on about needing to ask permission. Technically the BSG and SW modders should do the same. The owner of the copyright does have the right to approve or deny any use of their copyrighted material, and in this case if the owner sues, he/she/they will win. It's the techincality of the law...now whether or not the copyright owner would sue is another quesiton...more likely they'd simply send a cease and desist letter via an attorney.

Most of the time its better to ask permission rather than beg forgiveness...in legal matters, forgiveness almost always involves a cash settlement.

The only thing that might help with the BSG and SW (SW in particular) is the fact that it is widely distributed and could be considered part of the public domain. Also, I believe the BSG and SW modders have created their own models, which makes somewhat of a difference.

Not being a jerk, just pointing out that in all 3 cases, Erik's suggestion of asking permission would be prudent.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI