Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword

[Poll]

Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you?

1st Bull Run/Manassas
  56% (62)
Wilson's Creek
  30% (33)
Mill Springs/Logan's Cross Roads
  2% (3)
Williamsburg
  10% (12)

Total Votes : 110
(last vote on : 10/15/2019 8:32:30 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

Gil R. -> Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/22/2010 10:03:14 PM)

Since I like polls, I thought I'd post the first one: Of the four early Civil War battles included in "Brother Against Brother 1: The Drawing of the Sword," which one is of greatest interest to you, from either a historical or gaming perspective?

Obsolete -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/22/2010 10:54:59 PM)

I cant really seem to answere cause I can't remember much.   Bull Run I remember because both sides fought like total amateurs.  The only real map that sticks out in my mind is Kernstown, since that was the only battle Jackson lost, and I loved playing that one over and over with the odds stacked against you.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 12:01:18 AM)

I had to vote Bull Run because it's the only one I know.

I have read an ACW book recently (last year and a very good one as well) but my mind doesn't retain info very often - so I forget alot of books as soon as I turn a page.

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 12:13:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I had to vote Bull Run because it's the only one I know.

I have read an ACW book recently (last year and a very good one as well) but my mind doesn't retain info very often - so I forget alot of books as soon as I turn a page.

Not surprising, since Bull Run is the only one everyone knows at least something about. At some point I'll post some bibliography on these four battles, for those who are interested. Also, the game itself will include lengthy summaries of each battle (three so far from Battleline, who wrote so many of the FOF bios).

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 12:16:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

I cant really seem to answere cause I can't remember much.   Bull Run I remember because both sides fought like total amateurs.  The only real map that sticks out in my mind is Kernstown, since that was the only battle Jackson lost, and I loved playing that one over and over with the odds stacked against you.

I think our best "odds stacked against you" battle might be Mill Springs, where the Confederates had inferior weapons and troops. Williamsburg is one, too, since the Union has a larger force with reinforcements arriving throughout the day, though the Confederates have some good defenses.

rickier65 -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 12:40:27 AM)

I had to choose Wilson's Creek as I seem to recall playing an old SPI game by that name. (it maybe have been in their S&T mag).

Looking forward to seeing more about this series, though I have to admit I'm not really familar with WCS's games.

Rick

Erik Rutins -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 2:57:15 AM)

Williamsburg for me - if the Union had won that one...

JudgeDredd -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 6:27:47 AM)

ok - I'll tell you what, I shall not be so lazy. I'll wiki the battles and come back with a more informative answer [:D]

oldspec4 -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/23/2010 11:13:16 AM)

Mill Springs and Wilson's Creek since I'm a "student" of the Western/Trans-Mississippi theaters.

JD Walter -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/25/2010 7:23:25 PM)

Wilson's Creek.

Not only the second major engagement to occur in the whole war, in an oft-neglected theatre, but with a Confederate-aligned state militia in a non-seceding state!

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/26/2010 7:04:48 AM)

I know it's only 22 votes so far, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Wilson's Creek getting substantial interest. The battle itself is a very interesting one, but the whole back story (Missouri's politics, Lyon's actions back in St. Louis, the soured relationship between Price and McCulloch, etc etc.) is perhaps even more so.

And it's good to see Mill Springs getting some love. Having read a 500-page book about that battle as my research for this game I have come to have a healthy appreciation for its importance as well as how the battle developed.

2ndACR -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/27/2010 12:27:46 AM)

Gettysburg, Fredricksburg, all those really really big battles, and make those company level please......LOL

Waiting to purchase, not that I will have time to play, but will have it for next winter.

johandenver -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/27/2010 7:03:38 AM)

Wilson's creek has my vote, for sure.
It's a forgotten battle with many interesting factors to it.
Nathaniel Lyon himself for one.

scifiguy -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/29/2010 3:52:26 PM)

Wilson's Creek. I live in Missouri, I have visited the battlefield many times and I have gamed it often. The historical battle almost plays out like Little Bighorn - split forces trying to surprise a large camp of sleeping enemy. The hard part to get right in a game is the initial Confederate/Missouri State Guard's confusion. It took them quite a while to recover from the initial surprise and muster their troops into line to attack Sigel and then Bloody Hill. Can the Union forces make enough hay while the Rebs are organizing? Makes for a great game.

hmssws -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/29/2010 4:53:08 PM)

I chose Williamsburg because it is the only one that I have not played multiple times on other games.....

comte -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/30/2010 9:33:41 AM)

I picked Wilsons Creek for Nathaniel Lyon of course [:)]

Plainian -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/30/2010 11:20:47 AM)

Good answer. I voted Williamsburg for similar reasons.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hmssws
I chose Williamsburg because it is the only one that I have not played multiple times on other games.....

janh -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (5/1/2010 1:35:38 PM)

I'd vote for the 7 Days battles, if that were an option.  1st Bull Runs has been covered so many times in games that it is not drawing my attention so much anymore.  The Madminute Games 1BR, TC2M and new the new Gettysburg all had the 1st Bull run either as main action, or later modded.  Therefore all but the famous ones (1BR, 2BR, Antietam, Gettysburg) is my 1st priority.  Also, 7-Days could allow for a nice campaign mode that could include all of Johnstons, McClellans and Lees moves from March throughout July, and maybe even be promising for a later addon "Jackson in the Shenandoah"...

Edit: Ok, just saw your comment on the latter in another thread.

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (5/1/2010 5:53:09 PM)

We knew that 1st Bull Run is not exactly a battle that hasn't been covered, but it still made sense to cover it. We hope that for people such as yourself who have played it a lot the other battles will give sufficient novelty. And as I guess you saw, we'll definitely be doing the Seven Days Battles (well, most of them), almost certainly in our next release.

I haven't played these other 1st Bull Run's, but it occurs to me that there is a chance that our version will be different if other games' maps are more focused. Ours goes from west of Chinn Ridge all the way to Centreville on the east-west axis, and from the flanking march to the various fords on the north-south axis -- about 50 square miles. That should lend itself well to numerous scenarios and mods. So that might be something worthwhile, though admittedly I don't know the ranges of these other versions.

Werewolf13 -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (5/9/2014 4:03:13 PM)

I voted for Wilson's Creek 'cuz you can only pick one. Any of the other 3 except 1st Manassas/Bull Run would be fine - especially Mill Springs. I've read about that one and though I don't remember the details I do remember Shelby Foote (I think that's who) commented that the battle had ramifications that far exceed the sideshow rep it's gotten (though I don't remember the details).

If the 1st iteration of BAB is 1st Manassas I will wait until the next iteration to purchase. Not interested in replaying a battle that was essentially a major Cluster *&^%$% for both sides and served little more purpose than as a wake up call for both armies and the civilian population of the north.

zakblood -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (5/11/2014 4:03:12 PM)

trust me to pick the winning one :)

1st Bull Run/Manassas

[&o][&o][&o]

scattergun -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (5/18/2014 2:15:57 PM)

Wilsons creek! I live very close to the Battlefield and familar with the local history of the battle.

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (6/7/2014 9:15:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scattergun

Wilsons creek! I live very close to the Battlefield and familar with the local history of the battle.

Cool. I've visited there twice, and think it's a great area.

kennonlightfoot -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (7/13/2014 10:22:05 PM)

I voted for First Bull Run. The forces are relatively well balanced for a Civil War battle. And if you can handle the messed up Confederate command structure for that battle you will be able to handle most other battles.[:D]

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (7/15/2014 1:30:01 AM)

Man, Mill Springs sure doesn't get the love. And I guess I can see why. But it's a pretty interesting battle, and a nifty battlefield to visit. In BAB we consider it something of a starter battle -- we'll have small scenarios that will have just a few units (e.g., Blackburn's Ford), but this will be a good way to learn the game before moving on to the larger battles.

zakblood -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (4/16/2015 6:12:07 AM)

All battles are good, also all are different and fun, after playing them all, over 200+ times now, i'd still go for my first choice, as the map scale and units involved adds to longer play, while saying that, the smaller ones are fun to do when you want a quicker battle, but for me if i was advising others on what to play first, start small and work your way up, as the mechanics are the same in all of them, but with less troops to use in the smaller ones, it's not so hard to manage, not that the larger ones are harder as such, just takes longer per turn as you have more to do...

as with all games, read the manual, or like me play first and loose, then play again and loose, then read the manual, then study the maps, read the books, then re read the manual, then you win some and laugh as you understand now why you lost the first few, it's not complex, it not rocket science, it's a game, which also can be a sim if you look and want to go that deep, in the manual are the menu functions, leaving it as it is, while be fine for most, altering it after a few plays to suit yourself is your choice and call as again it's your game if you buy it, to play it how you wish to play it, like history, that's fine as it caters for you, have no idea about Civil war history like me, also that's fine it caters for you and me also with a few menu changers, so it's as deep and rewarding as you want it to be, see and what almost every bullet fly, if that rocks your boat, can be done, or skip past it all and go straight into the action,it's you call and your choice...

all you need to do is buy it and make the call, game has more options than most game, mind you there easy to use, but also easy to forget so i still use the manual from time to time as well

Mill Springs and Wilson's Creek has hard terrain but also many choices of attack and in defence, so are good for smaller scale strategy and learning on how to use and plan attacks, while Williamsburg which is imo should be second best has a totally different place in the game as it has fixed defences in it, so plans and plays different depending on which side chosen to play, but Manassas is the mother of all battles and is the icing on the cake, can be played any number of ways so is good for any level of player, but in the end like all of them, give multiple choices and places to attack and defend...

all maps are great in single player against the AI, on either side, some have a slight advantage to one or the other, regarding troops involved, terrain, morale or history or a combination of all 4 tbh.

head to head opens up them all to a totally different prospective altogether with PBEM being again another step up, i played 200+ battles before i even tried to do one head to head, and still only done a few PBEM ones.

what i'm trying to say without writing a book is, it's a game, it's fun, play it, it's a sim or can be, replay history or make your own, just play it, then replay it, then replay it some more, it won't be the same, unless you can remember where you place 200 units each 20 minutes for 8 or so hours, then add in random factors in, either way it will be different and still fun next year, and the year after that, 5 years in the making, 5 years in the playing...

shoelessbivouac -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (5/10/2015 3:21:31 AM)

I'd probably have to say Antietam ... oh, wait ... that's not on the list just yet. [;)]

Ironclad -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (6/11/2015 10:12:36 AM)

The two player Manassas provides a really exciting fight in PBEM. I can't wait to experience BAB for Gettysburg and the other larger battles to come. Congrats on a great game which can only get better with future enhancements.

bdoubled -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (6/11/2015 10:52:06 PM)

Wilson's Creek, mainly because I live in Oklahoma and am interested in the ACW on the western front. I'd like to see more of the smaller battles like Pea Ridge in Arkansas and Honey Springs in Oklahoma. At this scale, I think that the really large battles like Gettysburg might be just too much to handle.

Gil R. -> RE: Which "Drawing of the Sword" battle is of most interest to you? (6/12/2015 6:18:11 PM)

I've been to Pea Ridge twice, and right now that's on the list.

(And I've been to Gettysburg thrice, and right now that's also on the list. Which probably goes without saying.)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI