Bettys and Nells-the skinny? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

crsutton -> Bettys and Nells-the skinny? (4/26/2010 9:45:32 PM)

Does somebody know about how many betty and nell squadrons were actually trained in torpedo bombing. Could any plane be field modified to carry torpedoes or did it require more sophisticated modification in the rear or factory? I can't find any reading on this.

treespider -> RE: Bettys and Nells-the skinny? (4/26/2010 10:52:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Does somebody know about how many betty and nell squadrons were actually trained in torpedo bombing. Could any plane be field modified to carry torpedoes or did it require more sophisticated modification in the rear or factory? I can't find any reading on this.

No modifications they were designed and spec'd to carry torpedoes...recomended reading:

Combat Aircrat 22, Mitsubishi Type 1 Rikko Units of World War 2 by Osprey

spence -> RE: Bettys and Nells-the skinny? (4/27/2010 2:53:46 AM)

The aircraft were designed from the get-go to to attack with torpedoes.

The squadrons that attacked the PoW and Repulse spent a month or so training intensively to make torpedo attacks (against those particular ships even) prior to the start of the war. They did well. The very same squadrons did not make a single other torpedo attack for roughly six months thereafter. When they did they didn't hit a thing (Coral Sea). It would seem that constant training was required for the potential of the torpedo attack to be realized.

The performance of the Netties in torpedo attack after the attack on the PoW/Repulse wasn't very good: scoring perhaps two dozen torpedo hits total over the course of the rest of the war in return for losing hundreds of aircraft and thousands of aircrew to fighters and flak.

thegreatwent -> RE: Bettys and Nells-the skinny? (4/27/2010 4:57:13 AM)

quote:

Combat Aircrat 22, Mitsubishi Type 1 Rikko Units of World War 2 by Osprey

I second that recommendation. The info on unit deployment is also good reading.

jeffs -> RE: Bettys and Nells-the skinny? (4/27/2010 9:44:24 AM)

However...In AE, you will find trained Nells and Bettys have a hit rate of 60% against transports (mine at least) and around 25 % against men of war...

Also....They seem to have developed pretty thick skin against AA (though I would agree they actually go get shot down if worked over by fighters)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI