I don't like TOAOW (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

PhilM -> I don't like TOAOW (7/25/2002 12:21:47 PM)

The Operational Art of War.
Will I like this game?

I didn't like it cause it was too abstract.
Seeing Hex's move onto each other and that was
the battle.
I'm not a Hypo teenager either...
...in fact I'm 47.
It's not that I want BOOM BOOM all the time
or anything, but I just couldn't get into it.

I like Harpoon II.

mjk428 -> (7/25/2002 12:38:18 PM)

Hi Phil M,

Just to make sure I understand: You don't like TOAW but do like Harpoon II (H2), so would you like Uncommon Valor (UV).

I don't know if you've supplied enough info however I'm willing to take a shot. Just so you know, I like all 3 games mentioned.

I'd have to say that if what you liked about H2 was the tactical aspects of commanding individual small units, you might not like UV.

On the other hand, if you liked the detail of H2 then you'd really like UV. Also, the combat results are much more gratifying than TOAW.

My hunch is, since H2 was a pretty complex game that had a pretty steep learning curve, UV is a game you would enjoy. I would cautiously recommend it to you. Please let us know some other games you like so we can provide more informed advice.

I hope I was of some help. Take Care.

Raverdave -> Re: I don't like TOAOW (7/25/2002 1:02:41 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PhilM
[B]The Operational Art of War.
Will I like this game?

I didn't like it cause it was too abstract.
Seeing Hex's move onto each other and that was
the battle.
I'm not a Hypo teenager either...
...in fact I'm 47.
It's not that I want BOOM BOOM all the time
or anything, but I just couldn't get into it.

I like Harpoon II. [/B][/QUOTE]

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Harpoon! God I loved that game! But until H4 comes out, I am content with UV...in fact I play UV to the exclusion of anything else.

PhilM -> (7/25/2002 1:11:48 PM)

I don't think I play any Hex games.

I did try Talonsofts Eastern Front. Liked it for a while,
but don't play it any more.

I like Waterloo NLS...the Breakawaygames game.
Can't really think what other similar type games I play.
I'll post back later if I think of some more.

Oh, it was only the DEMO of TOAOW.

What else I didn't like about it was the speed at
which things moves. Forces would move from one
end of the map to the other like greese lightning.
I just didn't understand that.

Don't think I seen a Hex representing enemy planes
when they attacked.

About UC...

I like the Idea of say, sending out search flights
looking for the enemy...a bit of intrigue and suspense.

Anyhow, I have to go now. I'll be back another day.

Jupo -> (7/25/2002 6:39:26 PM)

Well, only strategy games i have ever liked are based on hexagonal map. :)

Without hex map, it's makes me feel so lonely and world is so empty. :D

edit: besides, hex map helps in multiplayer play-by-mail games to communicate with other players without print screens etc :)

P.S. sorry, this was little bit out of topic ;)

Sonny -> (7/25/2002 7:00:59 PM)

If what you like about Harpoon2 is the absolute control over every aspect of combat then UV will drive you crazy. You tell the TF commander where to go but he is on his own as far as what and when to strike and if he decides he needs ot maneuver his ship into combat position then he may do it in spite of your orders.
:)

Spooky -> (7/25/2002 7:22:56 PM)

Well, I must be an exception but I play UV without the hex displayed ... and it looks great :)

However, please don't forget it is an operational level game and not a tactical one ... so as Sonny said, if you want to control everything, it is not the right game !

BTW, the game is really wonderful. For more infos, check the UV reviews on the website below

Spooky

motaman -> (7/26/2002 1:40:19 AM)

Toaw is the best operational level strategy game. I've played it since the origional. From the origional to the COW edition, it's been patched many,many times. Do not expect TOAW to satisfy any desire to have large naval battles, as it's not modeled with much detail. Everything that has to do with ground and air units in TOAW is the best i've seen. In addition, a group of very good scenario makers have made lots of excellent scenarios, so you're not limited to what comes with the game for a good, balanced realistic scenario.

Mark Ezra -> (7/26/2002 6:13:11 AM)

I bought TOAOW and I bought UV. One gathers dust and has never lasted more then minutes on my hard drive. The other is in constant use with three PBEM's going right now...Wanna guess which one?....Sometimes gaming, like life, is a gamble. Had I not had a friend push me into buying UV I would have missed a truly remarkable gaming experience. Why don't ya just take a chance and buy UV...I did

Auggie -> (7/26/2002 2:00:55 PM)

New poster here. Just to chime in like Phil I tried TOAW, and really couldn't get into the game. I've been playing CPU strategy games since I got, reach of the stars, way back in the early 80's for my C-64. I just never seemed to get a feel for TOAW.

I've ordered UV, and by reading in the forums here, looking at reviews, I know I'll love. Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow cant wait to play

Auggie

Raverdave -> (7/26/2002 3:39:30 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spooky
[B]Well, I must be an exception but I play UV without the hex displayed ... and it looks great :)

However, please don't forget it is an operational level game and not a tactical one ... so as Sonny said, if you want to control everything, it is not the right game !

BTW, the game is really wonderful. For more infos, check the UV reviews on the website below

Spooky [/B][/QUOTE]

No I also play without the hex displayed....but I do toggle it on when I am looking to marry-up TFs, plot sub wolfpacks and mine laying ops.

Raverdave -> (7/26/2002 3:40:47 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]If what you like about Harpoon2 is the absolute control over every aspect of combat then UV will drive you crazy. You tell the TF commander where to go but he is on his own as far as what and when to strike and if he decides he needs ot maneuver his ship into combat position then he may do it in spite of your orders.
:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh man....could you imagine this game but with the same controls as in Harpoon??? ******Drool********:cool:

Sonny -> (7/26/2002 6:43:07 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]

No I also play without the hex displayed....but I do toggle it on when I am looking to marry-up TFs, plot sub wolfpacks and mine laying ops. [/B][/QUOTE]

I too do not use the hex view except, like you, when TFs need to link up (and are more than one or two hexes away from each other).:)

Jupo -> (7/26/2002 6:49:03 PM)

Well you can allways look the hex number like 23,25 and coordinate your moves with numbers... You don't have to toggle hex view on :D

PhilM -> (7/26/2002 7:08:32 PM)

Think I now know the main reason I don't like TOAOW.
It's the scale. I feel like I want to zoom in a few more levels.

Guess that means UV will probably hit me much the same way.
May be I'm just a tactical game player and that's that.
If only there was a demo, I would soon know.

"If what you like about Harpoon2 is the absolute control over every aspect of combat then UV will drive you crazy. "

No, wouldn't bother me at all.
Doesn't that sort of add drama to UV.

Spooky -> (7/26/2002 8:38:54 PM)

[B]Think I now know the main reason I don't like TOAOW.
It's the scale. I feel like I want to zoom in a few more levels.

Guess that means UV will probably hit me much the same way.
May be I'm just a tactical game player and that's that.
If only there was a demo, I would soon know.

"If what you like about Harpoon2 is the absolute control over every aspect of combat then UV will drive you crazy. "

Doesn't that sort of add drama to UV. [/B][/QUOTE]

Read the reviews, even if some most of the reported bugs have now been corrected, they are quite accurate in their description of UV ... and of the kind of players you must be in order to enjoy it

UndercoverNotChickenSalad -> (7/26/2002 11:52:08 PM)

I bought TOAW. Played it. Absolutely hated it.

But wait, I'm not finished.

For whatever reason I messed w/ the game a little more and it has become one of my all time favorite games. I've TOAW 1+2+Kosovo. When my TOAW2 disk became damaged, I went and bought it again. :eek:

Anyway, TOAW is a good game once you really get to understand what's going on.

Sonny -> (7/27/2002 1:21:40 AM)

[B]......

Doesn't that sort of add drama to UV. [/B][/QUOTE]

Indeed, it does add drama - and I like it that way. But if you wanna tell the weapons loaders what type of bomb to load on your Vals, or which ship to attack, then you are out of luck. This is what really gets to some people.:)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI