Watchword Freedom comments/suggestions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

cjpaul -> Watchword Freedom comments/suggestions (11/27/2000 3:49:00 PM)

The following may contain SPOILER information. Wild Bill: I've finished the Watchword Freedom campaign. I enjoyed it thoroughly. others. I would like to make a couple of comments: 1. In general, there seemed to be a lack of Russian artillery. I know that the Russians relied heavily on artillery, so I was expecting more. 2. In the last battle, where the trapped troops appeared, when they showed up, they made it too easy. They were still fairly combat effective. Had you considered something like lowered moral to reduce their effectiveness? What kind of condition would the troops actually have been in? 3. Were there too many repair points between battles? These battles are set within a context of 12 days, so would it really be possible to completely repair everything? Also, the number of points allows some to upgrade their units in between battles. That wouldn't have been possible in the time span that it took place in. Is it possible to permit the repairing of units but not the upgrading? Or to have fewer repair points for battles on consecutive days and a few more if there is a day between battles? I think having to choose your core units knowing that there are no upgrades makes it much more challenging. Also, having fewer points, forces one to command in such a way as to not let your troops be decimated. Is there some way, perhaps with OOBs to do so? 4. Is it possible to use the map with the results from the previous battle in the next? For example, there is the first battle to get across the river and there are three bridges. The next battle is to secure the area and bridges and hold it against a Russian counter attack. In the first, all three bridges had been destroyed but in the following, two of them were still intact. These are just ideas, and I'm not sure if, especially 3 & 4, anything could be done. I've enjoyed playing the campaigns and scenarios you've made, so I'm looking forward to the USSR vs western allies campaign that you're working on.

David F. Wall -> (11/27/2000 8:46:00 PM)

Oh, if only one could use the effects on the map from one scenario in successors! That's just asking too much of the game, at least in terms of the user-designed campaign. I don't know what WB did, but I have a similar situation in the developing Operation Sea Lion campaign, and I think what it boils down to is you have to guess what the first battle is going to do to the map and then edit it for subsequent scenarios in the same. Depending on the combination of victory conditions, forces, etc., you can get some pretty good ideas of what's going to happen, which may be confirmed or denied by playtest. From there, you have to rely on suspension of disbelief, just like every other storyteller since the artist at Altamira. DFW

Wild Bill -> (11/27/2000 9:38:00 PM)

Since I answered all of these the best that I could earlier, I'll only summarize for you CJ, more for others reading here than for you. You've already seen this. 1. Artillery is very powerful in SPWAW. Usig too much paralyzes one or both sides in allowing the game to develop. In fact one could almost win a battle with artillery. The result of that is I try to include no more than one btn or maybe two of artillery per battalion size battle. 2. They may indeed be too strong. The reason was their fanatical desire to get free. According to both Carell (Scorched Earth)and Buchner (Ostfront) many units performed courageously. What I should do is limit their ammo supply. This might reflect their dilemma better. Good point. 3. Another good point. Some were lamenting the lack of repair points, so I accomodated them. But yes, the campaign should reflect that excessive losses can hurt you both in that battle and those to come. 4. I would love to have this map rollover feature, but so far, no joy. Thanks for the good comments. Nice feedback! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI