How to set up good PBEM Games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Harry -> How to set up good PBEM Games (11/28/2000 4:01:00 PM)

Hi all! I'm new to the PBEM comunity. I'm wondering how to set up good PBEM games. Do you have True Cost on or off ? This Option have a big impact on points available. IMO if you play a Advance/Delay in e.g August 44 between germany(delaying) and russia (advancing), there is no way to stop the russian juggernaut with True Cost on. Do you play with Command and Control on or off? How many points you are playing with ? Simple how make a game intressting and challenging for both sides ? Harry

Mac_MatrixForum -> (11/28/2000 7:56:00 PM)

True cost Yes, I usually want the true cost on because it is... well the true cost more or less (more than it would be without true cost [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]). If you turn off the historic ratings then it does not matter. Sometimes it's good to take historic ratings off if you want a more even battle. Do you play with Command and Control on or off? Due to extremely long SP2 background I still haven't gotten into C&C so it has been off for now. How many points you are playing with ? Purely a matter of personal preference but less than 1500 for an online game and for E-MAIL games usually > 1500. Of course at early years you can get by with less than 1500 points because everything is so cheap. Simple how make a game intressting and challenging for both sides ? Mostly it's fun just to pick countries and points and then start fighting but sometimes a scenario can shake you from your habits (= fun [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]). I'm sure you will have fun just playing against a human opponent for some time. If one side is obviously a better player, then you can try to balance the play with some scenarios or rules. ------------------ Markku "Mac" Rontu "Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Sheridan in B5

Captn_Jack -> (11/29/2000 2:41:00 AM)

Different battles require different buy point ratios. Traditionally, these ratios are as follows: Meeting Engagements - 1 to 1 or Equal points Advance Engagements - 3-to 2 for Advancing Force Assaults - 2 to 1 for Assaulting Force All battles I have played have been with all options on, Limited Ammo On, Command Control Off. Buy points can be related to map size. Smaller numbers like 1000/1500 for small maps, 10 turn battles. 5000/6000 for large maps, 20-25 turn battles. Mix it up and fight different size and types of battles. Seems to work well for me. CJ

john g -> (11/29/2000 6:12:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Harry: Hi all! I'm new to the PBEM comunity. I'm wondering how to set up good PBEM games. Do you have True Cost on or off ? This Option have a big impact on points available. IMO if you play a Advance/Delay in e.g August 44 between germany(delaying) and russia (advancing), there is no way to stop the russian juggernaut with True Cost on. Do you play with Command and Control on or off? How many points you are playing with ? Simple how make a game intressting and challenging for both sides ? Harry
Part of the way to stop that unstoppable Soviet juggernaut in your first question is in your second. Play with C&C on, that is one of the advantages that the Germans have, better order generation, more radios, etc. If the Soviet player is locked into moving towards his preplanned objective hexes, without enough orders to change directions and no radio links to do it, the German can run rings around the Soviet armor. I prefer small maps and 2000 pt forces with up to 20 turns of playing time, but that is just me. Play with historical ratings, reduced ammo, true cost on, C&C on, default effectiveness for hits. About the only things I turn off in games are the floating text boxes (I make snap judgements on shooting, I don't pick out one target over another because it has a 3% better chance of being hit), music (it got tiresome after a while), and opfire confirm (which is always off in an email game). But then differnet strokes, be sure to practice with C&C on, before using it against another human, it takes a different style of play to do well. Now I don't play without it, it keeps units from zooming all over the map. thanks, John.

Harry -> (11/29/2000 5:34:00 PM)

Thanks . There is a big wall in front of me.. C&C..and I have to climb it. :-) I'm wondering how True Troop Cost work.. here some testresults of buypoints: I have used Hot Seat Mode SPWAW 4.4: Perfernces all on expect C&C and Reduced Squads. True Troops Cost on. Both sides 2 air sections. Battlepoints: Value vs XXX Germany vs Soviets Meeting 10/43 1799 vs 2248 delta = 449 1793 vs 2241 delta = 448 1597 vs 1996 delta = 399 Soviets vs Germany Meeting 10/43 2200 vs 1640 delta = 560 2197 vs 1637 delta = 560 1999 vs 1499 delta = 500 Conclusion: If you play the Soviets, set Sov vs Ger, if you play the Germans set Ger vs Sov. Something is wrong. Any thoughts ? Harry [This message has been edited by Harry (edited November 29, 2000).]

AckAck -> (11/29/2000 10:20:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Captn_Jack: Meeting Engagements - 1 to 1 or Equal points Advance Engagements - 3-to 2 for Advancing Force Assaults - 2 to 1 for Assaulting Force
i'm curious b/c in the old steel panthers it was always: meeting 1:1 advance 1:2 or 2:1 assault 1:3 or 3:1 i like your new ratios but when did i miss the change?

john g -> (11/30/2000 6:13:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by AckAck: i'm curious b/c in the old steel panthers it was always: meeting 1:1 advance 1:2 or 2:1 assault 1:3 or 3:1 i like your new ratios but when did i miss the change?
I read some of the old SP faqs and they gave 1:1 2:1 2.5:1 as the spreads. When I played a quick delay battle vs the ai, once I thought I was getting hosed by something more than 2:1 so I copied down what the end of battle report gave for that side and I tried buying it, it came out with a 2.4:1 ratio for a delay battle, and this is with ai advantage turned off. So the ai is getting more units than a simple ratio predicts. The ai seems to buy preset packages of units over and over until it uses up it's points, I noticed the pattern was repeated as I went down the list. With a small enough battle it will not get a combined arms team since it won't have enough to buy the entire first package. By keeping your force small you can force the ai into leaving out units that you don't want to face since infantry is usually the first purchase and artillary the last. thanks, John.

Pack Rat -> (11/30/2000 9:47:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Harry: Thanks . There is a big wall in front of me.. C&C..and I have to climb it. :-) .]
I wouldn't take the fun away if it's a hassle. All the pbem games I've played and I am currently playing has this feature off. ------------------ "More PT Drill Sargent" Pack Rat I lied, Redleg just showed up with a challenge. Guess I'll be learning C&C also :-) [This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited November 30, 2000).]

Captn_Jack -> (11/30/2000 3:09:00 PM)

quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Captn_Jack: Meeting Engagements - 1 to 1 or Equal points Advance Engagements - 3-to 2 for Advancing Force Assaults - 2 to 1 for Assaulting Force -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i'm curious b/c in the old steel panthers it was always: meeting 1:1 advance 1:2 or 2:1 assault 1:3 or 3:1 i like your new ratios but when did i miss the change?
I will post the link to the source of these ratios as soon as I find it again. In the meantime, here is the link to the origional Steel Panthers Primer. It's a really nice piece of work covering a lot about the game. Here is the link for it: Steel Panthers Primer Its' from the origional Steel Panthers. I believe the ratios I gave were based on Steel Panthers II battles... CJ

JN -> (11/30/2000 3:32:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by AckAck: i'm curious b/c in the old steel panthers it was always: meeting 1:1 advance 1:2 or 2:1 assault 1:3 or 3:1
I'am playing a e-mail game as Finland defending against a Russian assault in february '40. Looks like the ratio for this battle is more like 3.3:1 (True troops cost turned on) And since russian infantry is so cheap my opponent has something like a 7:1 advantage in the number of units. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Well, I guess it's back to two meters of snow and minus 40 degrees temperature for me.

Fredde -> (11/30/2000 8:25:00 PM)

Speculation mostly, i'd love to hear what others think about this.. [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I'm not completely sure true troop cost should be turned on. It might be balanced in an "all-armour" battle, where the German tank skills definately has a big impact but when infantry is involved too, the Russians can buy huge amounts of infantry where the experience doesn't seem to have as much impact. The fairly cheap Russian infantry units allow a superiority in numbers anyway (not as sure when there are many tanks involved.. but for infantry this is the case i believe).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI