Base distance chart (in hexes) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Supervisor -> Base distance chart (in hexes) (7/30/2002 7:33:56 PM)

Under "For what it's worth" department:

Attached is a zipped Excel file. On the first sheet is a chart listing all of the bases on the map (its rather large :)).

On the second sheet, only the bases that are at least 1 SPS (port or airfield) are listed (it's still fairly large, but a lot better than the first one :D).

Just something I came up with when I got tired of counting hexes. [SIZE=1](I need a job, that's my problem. :D)[/SIZE]

So, I thought maybe someone else could use it. So far, I haven't found any distances on the charts that are incorrect [SIZE=1](put legal disclaimer here: yada yada yada :p)[/SIZE].

jhdeerslayer -> (7/30/2002 8:30:32 PM)

Thanks Rowlf! What is the column "across" and "down" mean?

mariovalleemtl -> Great (7/30/2002 9:57:22 PM)

Many thanks! :)

GulfXray -> Thanks... (7/31/2002 3:39:21 AM)

Thanks Rowlf! I was needing something like this and trying to figure how best to do. Answer: Wait on you!!!

Supervisor -> (7/31/2002 9:31:31 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deerslayer
[B]Thanks Rowlf! What is the column "across" and "down" mean? [/B][/QUOTE]Hex position. xx hexes across, xx hexes down. Lunga, for example, is 38,40 (38 across, 40 down).

denisonh -> You Da Man! (7/31/2002 9:40:26 AM)

Thanks!

Bernd Hesberg -> How about calculating rather than counting ? (8/1/2002 10:11:41 AM)

[QUOTE]snip... Just something I came up with when I got tired of counting hexes.
So far, I haven't found any distances on the charts that are incorrect [/QUOTE] Well, haven't you thought about letting Excel do all that work? The necessary data are just the position of every base (you have them) and a sufficient algorithm. You may try this one

=MAX( ABS( ColumnDifference); ABS( RowDifference))+IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference); ABS( RowDifference)/2; IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference)/2; ABS( ColumnDifference)-ABS( RowDifference)/2))

Of course, you need to substitute every occurrence of the variables 'RowDifference' and 'ColumnDifference' by their actual pairs of coordinates.
I haven't checked that for *every* possible combination. So, if there's something wrong with it, please reply.

I'd think it saves a lot of counting. Even better, it can be easily used for any other hex-based map.

Supervisor -> Re: How about calculating rather than counting ? (8/1/2002 2:28:21 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernd Hesberg
[B] Well, haven't you thought about letting Excel do all that work? The necessary data are just the position of every base (you have them) and a sufficient algorithm. You may try this one

=MAX( ABS( ColumnDifference); ABS( RowDifference))+IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference); ABS( RowDifference)/2; IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference)/2; ABS( ColumnDifference)-ABS( RowDifference)/2))

Of course, you need to substitute every occurrence of the variables 'RowDifference' and 'ColumnDifference' by their actual pairs of coordinates.
I haven't checked that for *every* possible combination. So, if there's something wrong with it, please reply.

I'd think it saves a lot of counting. Even better, it can be easily used for any other hex-based map. [/B][/QUOTE]Sounds close to what I used. Actually (since I was using Quattro Pro and the formulas wouldn't translate to Excel) what I used was a nested IF statement.

Essentially it was as follows:

([I]horizontal[/I] is the absolute value of difference between the columns, [I]vertical[/I] is the absolute value of the difference between the rows, and I rounded any calculation result)

If the horizontal was less than ½ the vertical, then the distance is equal to the vertical.

Then if the vertical was 0 or 1, then the distance is equal to the horizontal.

Otherwise, the distance is equal to the horizontal + ½ the vertical.

As I said, every distance I checked worked with this logic, and I didn't find any that didn't, but I didn't check more than a random sample of all possible combinations. I may have time on my hands, but I'm not a masochist! :D

(btw: I don't have Excel. :))

Bernd Hesberg -> (8/2/2002 3:48:09 AM)

[QUOTE]snip ... but I didn't check more than a random sample of all possible combinations. I may have time on my hands, but I'm not a masochist! :D

(btw: I don't have Excel. :)) [/QUOTE] Seems to be a similar situation over here. I don't have Quattro Pro, and I'm no masochist either. :D

von Murrin -> Very Cool! (8/3/2002 12:48:22 PM)

Now, if I only had more than an hour or two a week to play... :(

(Be happy you don't have a real job :D)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI