Applauding Malwarebytes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

MajFrankBurns -> Applauding Malwarebytes (6/15/2010 9:51:39 PM)

Well I have to applaud Malwarebytes free scan and clean program.

For awhile now I'd been having issues with IExplorer. It was slow to popup when clicking on the icon and slow to load new pages when I would create new tabs or windows. Also when I was searching through links the links would redirect me from the site I wanted to go to to advertisement sites and even malicious sites that my virus protector Windows Essentials would detect and at least prevent me from getting more infections/viruses than I already had.

I downloaded several virus detection programs. Norton Anti and Kaspersky 30 day free trial and did a FULL scan with both of them and even Windows Essentials and nothing nada not one of the 3 detected anything wrong with my system.

Then I went googling for answers (tab searching to get past those malicious advertisements) I found some suggestions to try Malwarebytes or Avast. So, I used Malwarebytes and it detected 11 infections that Norton and Kaspersky never saw. It removed them and cleaned up my system and now I don't have any slowness when clicking on the IEexplorer icon and no longer get any redirections to malicious advertising sites.

Yes I also tried Firefox and had the same issues with it. I don't know what these infections attached themselves to but it was affecting my entire web browsing system and experience. What a pain in the arse it was everytime trying to look at something and getting misdirected to an advertisement or malicious site. Glad it is over.

If you don't have Malwarebytes or have tried it I'd recommend it. I was very surprised it found so many infections that major virus protection programs didn't detect.

htuna -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 1:00:52 AM)

Yes it's very good... some are pretty tough to remove even with that.. my Mother Inlaws PC.... of course she left it up 24/7 with no router/firewall.. anyways I ended up having to pull the harddrive, to run malware from a clean OS.. of course one of the files was a system file that I had to replace.. but it cleaned her PC in the end!

ilovestrategy -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 6:43:22 AM)

I have it too. I love it!

jomni -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 6:58:38 AM)

Better than Spybot?

Josh -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 8:58:05 AM)

Well no virusscanner is 100% proof, that has been proven again and again. So yeah, where one might not discover a virus the next virusscanner will detect one.
Years ago I had two, sometimes three scanners working at the same time... [8|]
A lot of crooks out there on the web you know.

joeblack1862 -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 7:46:58 PM)

I use it in conjunction with Microsoft Essentials. Malwarebytes is know to be good at picking up those obscure viruses / trojans that others miss.

I personally like to use it as a scanner and keep Essentials as the main protection.

KG Erwin -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 10:31:42 PM)

Yeah, I d/l the freeware version last night. It removed some 30 trojans from my system, and IE8 now runs much faster for me now. Thanks for the recommendation. [;)]

MajFrankBurns -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/16/2010 10:37:05 PM)

Wow KG good for you. [:)] That Malwarebytes is something else. Might want to change your passwords on any financial accounts you use online since you found that many though.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/18/2010 4:42:57 AM)

Giving it a try now. So far, 31 minutes into a full scan and nothing found. That's a good thing.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/18/2010 7:14:31 AM)

I run Malwarebytes when I suspect a problem. Spyware Doctor is my first line of defense. I also own IOLO System Mechanic Professional, but disabled its anti-virus and anti-malware functions due to a variety of problems with it interfering with the operation of way too many programs. I also run the Microsoft anti-malware tool occasionally.

I have some adopted Navajo "grandchildren" who are on the computers several times a week. I have a guest login set up for them, but if they pop in unexpectedly they often get on my full access admin account and quickly pile up junk from "Hannah Montana" web sites and game sites and the like. I need the cleanup tools after they leave (the little darlin's). It sure shows you what happens when children start clicking on "free" stuff and "download the Hanna Montana Toolbar" and God knows what else! [:)]

Poolmick -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/19/2010 5:05:09 PM)

try to stop them before they get in your system

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/securing_browser/

Andrew Williams -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/19/2010 10:54:51 PM)

just ran malwarebytes...

I regularly use other products... malwarebytes picked up 7 new ones.

it's now joined my suite of programs. 

:)

MajFrankBurns -> RE: Applauding Malwarebytes (6/22/2010 1:46:24 AM)

I'm glad it's helping others like it helped me. Now my browsing and exploring is back to normal and fast again.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI