Discussion: Random Empire Events (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Shark7 -> Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 3:48:08 PM)

Something is missing from the game...we have universe events when you investigate a ruin, but where are the random empire events? You know the ones I am talking about, things that change the situation on a planet or empire wide for better or for worse. Yeah those.

The ones I am talking about are pulled from a pool of events...they arrive in a random order at a random time. The can have a positive effect on your empire, they can have a negative effect on your empire, they can even require your attention and action be taken. Basically they give you something to do while not ruthlessly slaughtering alien empires.

Example 1: Pop-Up: A major earthquake has struck Colony ABC! Our advisors suggest that $5000 will be needed to repair the damage and set up temporary shelters for the citizens displaced by the disaster. Will you approve the funding for the clean up? Yes or No.

The result is: Temporary reduction of income and happiness, longer period if you don't spend the money to fix it.

Example 2: Pop-Up: Our geological survey team on planet KLM has discovered an ancient ruin buried in the sands. With a small investment of $5000 these ruins could be turned into a viable tourist attraction. Will you make the investment? Yes or No.

The Result: By spending the money, Planet KLM gains a random 'scenic location' bonus of between 25-75%.

Example 3: Pop-Up: A previously uncharted vein of Iridium has been located on planet TUV. We should start mining it immediately.

The result: You can now mine Iridium at planet TUV.

Example 4: Pop-up: The renowned galactic entertainer Diva Divine has made a surprise concert at planet XYZ. Morale on this planet has greatly improved by her performance. However, a horde of rabid fan-bois attracted by her performance has caused damaged to the colony's main city. The clean up has cost us $1000.

The result: You lose $1000 but morale on the planet increases by 10 for a short time.

Anyway,these are just some examples, you guys can come up with your own or completely shoot down the idea. Discuss. [:)]

OberonDark -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 4:27:09 PM)

A meteor has been seen streaking across the sky!

Ignore the Alien Rabble : Lose 1 Stability

It's an Omen! : Lose 1 Stability

It looks nice : Lose 1 Stability

the1sean -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 6:01:43 PM)

Reminds me of the empire-wide events in Galactic Civilizations, and there were those events/choices you had to make up on planet colonization as well, and it would effect your empire's happiness or reputation (good/evil). Also, there were the galaxy spanning events of Master of Orion 2 where there would be a hyperspace-flux (no hyperspace travel, ugh!) for a period of time, or those events where there was a galactic plague (had to focus empire research on a cure or plague would spread and wreak havoc), meteor showers (where you would have to send a fleet to shoot the meteors or a planet would get really jacked up/bombarded, cant remember which game that was), etc. I also miss the more diverse space monster lineup from MoO2 and Sword of the Stars:

Space Dragons: Guarded the best systems with multiple awesome planets/resources
Space Amoeba: would nest and reproduce at habitable worlds, then fan out and grow/attack like an infestation
Space Crystal: usually located at mineral rich planets, making players work to be able to claim it
Space Eels: like Space Crystal, but at planets with good environments, again making players work for great planets
Space Swarms: (like a killer beehive)
Von Neuman machines: machines that replicate, like the Space Amoeba, but at resource rich worlds

dont get me wrong, I have been extremely pleased and impressed with DW's variable event system, but I love variety of monsters, very vintage star-trekish :)

WoodMan -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 6:24:20 PM)

Great idea Shark, but not just for players please, for AI too!

Other ideas: Space Plague starts at one planet, can be spread to others by ships moving between, population loss at planets infected.  All Empires get a popup when it occurs at the first planet in the galaxy "Shall we inooculate our population against the plague, 5000 credits? (will be more expensive for higher population Empires) Answers: Yes, make our population immune or No, we'll take our chances.

dwaine -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 6:25:41 PM)

something like " a new way of living ( let's say hippies ) is raising among the population of this planet "
1) Let them be ( + 10 in contestation, +100% for consumption of drogs [ economic boost ] ).
2) Do anything you can to avoid hippies planets ( using an agent for propaganda ).
3) Go to hell, hippies are rats and are useless, in jail, and, of course, the family will pay their stay at the prison and also some amends ( + 15000 credits, - 5% of population ).

Excellent idea, DW as a lot of simple things that can be implented.

@ the1sean,
you mean this ? These events made laugh so much [:D] espiecally the "evil" way to deal with it !

[image]http://www.armchairgeneral.com/wordpress/wp-content/gamereviews/pc/galciv2/ethical.jpg[/image]

Shark7 -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 7:33:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwaine

something like " a new way of living ( let's say hippies ) is raising among the population of this planet "
1) Let them be ( + 10 in contestation, +100% for consumption of drogs [ economic boost ] ).
2) Do anything you can to avoid hippies planets ( using an agent for propaganda ).
3) Go to hell, hippies are rats and are useless, in jail, and, of course, the family will pay their stay at the prison and also some amends ( + 15000 credits, - 5% of population ).

Excellent idea, DW as a lot of simple things that can be implented.

ACK! No Hippies. I'll take Option 4: Initiate the Hippie Erradication Program. [;)] I'd rather have plague ravaging my empire than have a single hippie. [:@]

But you guys do seem to understand what I'm wanting.

Gertjan -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 7:37:38 PM)

I like it as long as you distinguish between mega events and more normal events.

Shark7 -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 7:44:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

I like it as long as you distinguish between mega events and more normal events.

Actually, having thought about it some more, perhaps the frequency and magnitude of the events could be tied to either its own slider, or perhaps the galactic stability slider. If you choose a stable galaxy, then you don't get so many of them, and the really good/really bad ones are rare or non-existant. However on Chaos level, anything goes.

the1sean -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 9:49:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

ACK! No Hippies. I'll take Option 4: Initiate the Hippie Erradication Program. [;)] I'd rather have plague ravaging my empire than have a single hippie. [:@]

yep, pirate infestations are preferable to hippie infestations! Bath the planet in cleansing nuclear flame!!!

the1sean -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/14/2010 9:56:06 PM)

quote:

@ the1sean,
you mean this ? These events made laugh so much [:D] espiecally the "evil" way to deal with it !

Yep, I really enjoyed GalCiv, especially the diplomacy/trade system, but the combat wasnt as engaging as DW by a long shot. Here's a link to all of the events in MoO2:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/197873-master-of-orion-ii-battle-at-antares/faqs/14668

Texashawk -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 6:14:43 AM)

Yes... for the sake of all amateur DW players it's a good thing Ubik's occupied these days... [:'(]

quote:

ORIGINAL: OberonDark

A meteor has been seen streaking across the sky!

Ignore the Alien Rabble : Lose 1 Stability

It's an Omen! : Lose 1 Stability

It looks nice : Lose 1 Stability

2guncohen -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 8:56:09 AM)

I love Hippies [:D]

Goddsch -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 10:37:32 AM)

Love the idea! There could also be the good old Marriage between citizen of empire 1 with citizen of empire 2 which results in diplomacy points towards that empire if you make a gift, and negative points towards enemies of them or such.

Pipewrench -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 11:46:01 AM)

great idea:

1 event might effect the resort bases.

call it the mating of the hippies festival and make it 100 years or so with a boost in tourism revenue and lower unrest...unless your at war. This, of course, cannot go on forever as production and research would suffer from all the relaxed attitudes.

peace man and all that..

Shark7 -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 2:29:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goddsch

Love the idea! There could also be the good old Marriage between citizen of empire 1 with citizen of empire 2 which results in diplomacy points towards that empire if you make a gift, and negative points towards enemies of them or such.

Hehe...I can see it nonw...

'Yes sweetie, I realize he is a disgusting insectoid brute, but think of what you are doing for galactic relations. You'll be a heroine of the empire..."

A lead balloon comes to mind.... [:D]

the1sean -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 5:39:29 PM)

I dont know if anyone here has played the boardgame Twilight Imperium (Second Edition was my fave) 4x space empires
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26055/twilight-imperium-2nd-edition

In that game each empire could vote on events/laws, a lot of which were very cool and could be converted into empire-wide or galactic events.

dwaine -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/15/2010 11:37:46 PM)

Paul the otcopus made a surprise visit at the resort base #, +500% income bonus [8|]

hippies is an original idea of gal civ 2 :
quote:

Mid-Evil Hippies
While most individuals welcome new technology, a new Pre-Galactic way of life has been embraced by a small percentage of the population. Over the last hundred years, followers of this philosophy have banded together to live off the land, building communal stone buildings in unpopulated areas. While they do little to interfere with others, these tribes use up valuable planet space that could be put to more efficient use. What do you propose?
Good Option: Let my people live how they wish. (-5% Population Growth penalty)
Neutral Option: While I respect their decisions, we will continue to expand our cities and do our best to work around them. (-5 bc)
Evil Option: Enough of this hippy crap! Send the tree-huggers packing - we have cities to build! (+5% Population Growth bonus)

There's also tons of ideas from civ 4,
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236727

quote:

But you guys do seem to understand what I'm wanting.

Don't understand either, a yes/no event ?
Do you want to spend 5000 credits for ...... yes ? no ?
That's it ?

the1sean -> RE: Discussion: Random Empire Events (7/16/2010 5:42:50 PM)

quote:

Don't understand either, a yes/no event ?
Do you want to spend 5000 credits for ...... yes ? no ?
That's it ?

yeah some of the decisions are pretty simple and straight forward. pay the cash/prestige/research points etc, gain the benefit/dont get a penalty.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI