RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Capt Cliff -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (7/26/2010 7:13:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: borner

if matrix would update it, I would buy it!

Yep!! Count me in on that. Bundle the whole bunch. America Invades, Gold-Juno-Sword, Stalingrad, Crusader, Market Garden and Velikiye Luki. How's $10 each or a $70 package?

Kung Karl -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (7/26/2010 8:33:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

If anybody gets Crusader working, please let me know how... I tried and tried and tried several years ago... it's one of a few games I can no longer run.

I tried with the same settings as in my earlier post and it worked fine.

Deathtreader -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (7/26/2010 10:11:42 PM)

Hi,

I have all of them as well and still occasionally trot one out for a quick game. I'm still running XP SP3 so they all still work except for America Invades which refuses to recognize the CD in the drive and consequently won't load. The original DOS solution was to use the Lastdrive command specifying the drive letter after your actual last drive letter.
No idea how to run the game in XP as there does not appear to be an equivalent command to lastdrive in DOS. <sigh>

Rob.

SLAAKMAN -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/23/2010 9:06:08 PM)

quote:

No idea how to run the game in XP as there does not appear to be an equivalent command to lastdrive in DOS. <sigh>

Will it work in DOSBox?

nicwb -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/26/2010 12:04:08 PM)

Some of them were originally put out as a bundle - I got (and still have stored away) market garden/utah beach/gold-juno-sword/ velikye luki - that came as a V4V 50th anniversity end of WWII commemorative edition.

Good stuff - but I'm not sure my current operating system is compatible with the old CDRom's [:(]

PJJ -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/26/2010 1:28:22 PM)

I own Stalingrad and D-Day, and they both work fine in DOSBox. They are still surprisingly good games, even after all these years. I'd love to see some updated versions for sale in the future.

diablo1 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/27/2010 11:56:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kung Karl

quote:

If anybody gets Crusader working, please let me know how... I tried and tried and tried several years ago... it's one of a few games I can no longer run.

I tried with the same settings as in my earlier post and it worked fine.

I used D-Fend Reloaded and it works fine on Vista 64bit OS.

Fullbanu -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/28/2010 2:09:01 PM)

wow ,
its really a superb game ,
love to play games,
thanks for sharing here ,
the link is really good one ...........................[&o]

hgilmer3 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/29/2010 12:32:33 AM)

What's up with all the requirements to download those games.  Good grief, finish this page, and oh on the next page finish two more, yayy!

hgilmer3 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/29/2010 12:35:22 AM)

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/646/V+for+Victory.html

This is a better site, I think.

Fred98 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/29/2010 5:07:37 AM)

quote:

For those who don't know "E" was one of the developers if this great wargame !

-

reg113 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/29/2010 7:22:54 PM)

Aint that ironic

diablo1 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/29/2010 8:19:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

For those who don't know "E" was one of the developers if this great wargame !

-

You're kidding right? A developer of his own game can't get it to work on modern day OS's?

At any rate D-Fend Reloaded is the ticket for just about all hard to get to play DOS games.

Something else you can try if you've downloaded at least one game from GOG is use their DOSbox program file and open the config.ini and just change the name of the game .exe to the new game you want it to try to load.

Edit Note: Be sure and copy and paste this DosBox folder and don't just write over it or you'll lose the game it's suppose to work with in the first place. Once you've pasted it somewhere else then you can play around with the changes to the name of the .exe

Saint Ruth -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/29/2010 10:51:57 PM)

Yeah, love those V4V games...

I love 'em so much I am writing one.

Here's my version:
http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/

It's a working game. You can download it (it's java so it'll run anywhere -- or should run anywhere [:@])
Though it doesn't have an AI yet and needs more features (and better graphics) and has a few LINUX issues.

Easy to play. Left mouse button to drag and drop units. Right button to drag and drop stacks. Wheel button zooms in and out.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (9/30/2010 7:32:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3

I tried that link and dl'd it. But what do I do after the file is unzipped? I don't see any instructions. [:(]

sol_invictus -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (10/1/2010 1:59:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3

I tried that link and dl'd it. But what do I do after the file is unzipped? I don't see any instructions. [:(]

I just opened DosBox and dumped the files into the large open area and the games fired right up. I expect that GOG will be picking these gems up sometime soon.

hgilmer3 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (10/2/2010 1:17:43 AM)

I have not done it yet, but if it is like any other old game, I extract the files to a directory that I make up. I'll probably name it V4V and then sub folders based on the expansion name.

Then I will locate the .exe file grab and drop right on the dosbox shortcut. That usually starts the game right up.

Edit: I just did it and it is one program so I extracted to one folder and then pulled the V4V.exe file and dropped it onto the dosbox shortcut on my desktop. Started right up. I have issues with color, though.

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (10/2/2010 4:11:46 AM)

I used Abandonia.com to get the game, and D-Fend Reloaded to operate it. As Arinvald suggested, I dropped the V4V application file into the large open area (technical term unknown). It went thru a bunch of set up boxes that I ignored by hitting next at each one, which I thought might make it not function, but in the end all I need to do is double click the highlighted file and voila, she works! Thanks very much for the help. [&o]

[image]local://upfiles/24850/9E0B09793C2B4886AA6FC1128D2609BD.jpg[/image]

sol_invictus -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (10/2/2010 1:52:50 PM)

Glad to hear that you got it working. These are such good games.

JJKettunen -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/5/2011 2:28:22 PM)

Reinstalling these beauties to my laptop. Thanks for the info gentlemen, googling got me into this thread. [:)]

diablo1 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/5/2011 3:22:05 PM)

quote:

I got it working with a Commodore 64 emulator http://www.ccs64.com/ and downloaded it from here : http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=1838&d=18

This site http://www.c64.com/faq.php#3.7 tells you how to use the emulator to setup and play commodore 64 games that require a joystick to move and play. Also how to save games and swap disks.

EDIT:Oh nevermind this is not the same game I thought you were talking about the classic Crusader game with Ike's picture on the front of the box.

Alan Sharif -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/5/2011 9:40:17 PM)

Saint Ruth, excellent work. Do keep us all posted.

AndweKennyJesse -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/9/2011 6:55:34 AM)

I'm coming! Let's see what happens

Fred98 -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/9/2011 1:40:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

The fold out map and manual they shipped with the V4V series was fantastic.

I still get upset when I think about the phenomenal game manuals from these old games.

I still have the Crusader and Stalingrad manuals. Yes me! [;)]

And the Crusader map!

Not that I have any use for them !
-

jjdenver -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/9/2011 2:05:42 PM)

I still consider Stalingrad probably the best PC game and best PBEM game I've ever played. It'd be great if these would be re-released by gog.

JJKettunen -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/9/2011 3:36:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I still consider Stalingrad probably the best PC game and best PBEM game I've ever played.

Ditto!

e: dropped the gog sentence. [;)]

jmlima -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/10/2011 9:55:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I still consider Stalingrad probably the best PC game and best PBEM game I've ever played.

Ditto!

e: dropped the gog sentence. [;)]

By far the best PC wargame I ever played. It's the only I constantly revert back to, and much to my surprise I discovered it was not a selective memory trick. These games are really good, far better than any hex wargame available these days.

sol_invictus -> RE: Atomic Games V4V Series (5/11/2011 1:57:50 PM)

I always preferred Operation Crusader over Stalingrad but both were great. I was devastated when the next title; Kharkov; was cancelled and the series died. I really wish an independent developer would pick up the reins and make similar games again. I always wanted a Bulge and Gazala title with the engine as well. I really need to fire these beauties up again soon. It has been a while since I have played them.[&o]

I have never played an email game with them. The WEGO system always seemed like it would be perfect for that. I read that it was a little tricky to get going. Who has played email with these games recently?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI