Research mechanics questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

redchaostry -> Research mechanics questions (7/16/2010 8:05:18 PM)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not locate the information on the board.

Research "Total Empire Potential" is this the number modified by Race and Government research modifiers correct? Examples would be Quameno's Gifted Researchers and the government Technocracy.

What do the values of research actually mean? Not sure how to express this more clearly, but I will try to provide examples. Example 1. I am producing 7, 7, 7, 81 research in their respective fields. Averaging every 6 months I gain 4k into one weapon project. Example 2. I am producing 17, 17, 81, 17 research, and I am doing crash research on an industrial project. Averaging every 6 months I gain 27k into this project.

What is the standard time period for a unit of research to be applied? Such as a turn or "tick" of research.

I have read that only up to 25% of Total Empire Potential can be applied to any of the groups (Weapons, High Tech, Energy or Industrial) of research. Is this correct?

Thank you for your time and patience,

Red

rk0123msp@mindspring -> RE: Research mechanics questions (7/23/2010 8:35:00 PM)

In adddition to the above question I'd also like to know:

1) How are the research Caps determined?

2) Is there any kind of research tree or flowchard that shows all researchable techs and their prerequisites at a glance? Games like this usually have a flow chart or diagram accessible in the science menu somewhere.

randal7 -> RE: Research mechanics questions (7/24/2010 3:06:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rk0123msp@mindspring

2) Is there any kind of research tree or flowchard that shows all researchable techs and their prerequisites at a glance? Games like this usually have a flow chart or diagram accessible in the science menu somewhere.

You can go into edit mode, then (IIRC) select edit empire, your empire, then tech. There will be a slider for each tech area that shows the progression as you slide it across (although I found it somewhat hard to control precisely). After examining the tech order this way, max all sliders, go to the ship design screen, and select show all techs from the dropdown to compare tech functions.

But yes, I too would be delighted if there was a handy tech reference in the encyclopedia rather than this clunky method.

Florestan -> RE: Research mechanics questions (7/24/2010 6:47:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rk0123msp@mindspring
1) How are the research Caps determined?

The more population you have, the bigger the potential. To this is added the possible gifted researcher bonus, the intelligence bonus of the main race of your empire, and the possible bonus given by the ruins found on some planets.
This potential is the maximum research you can make in total. If you produce more research point than it, the surplus will be wasted.
If I'm correct, when you are in this situation, the repartition of the research depends on the percentage of production, i.e. if 33% of your production is in high tech, then 33% of the research actually done will be in high tech. I usually try to get 25% on each.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI