vunerable hit? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

Truckeye -> vunerable hit? (8/5/2002 9:33:17 AM)

i see this pop up a lot. recently i peppered a sdkfz with about 9 shots from a US halftrack and 7 said vulnerable hit. the next turn, the scout car fired right back at me. presume he rallied.

so i thought i would pay more attention when i was hit with VHits. in gaming today i was hit with a 50mm round that said VH. i quickly pulled up my tank expecting to see the number change under "Damage:" but it was still "0".

what exactly does vulnerable hit do?

G_X -> (8/5/2002 10:43:15 AM)

A 50mm round won't do much to a tank, even as a Vhit.

But if that had been a 5cm round from a PzIIIj, I think it would be a different story. I'm pretty sure Vhits add more Penetration, or lower the armor score of the tank/vehicle.

Sometimes it still does nothing, this is especially evident about small arms fire against heavily armoured vehicles. So...I think I have it.

Anyone else know for sure to confirm?

Bernie -> (8/6/2002 4:44:59 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G_X
[B]A 50mm round won't do much to a tank, even as a Vhit.

But if that had been a 5cm round from a PzIIIj, I think it would be a different story. I'm pretty sure Vhits add more Penetration, or lower the armor score of the tank/vehicle.

Sometimes it still does nothing, this is especially evident about small arms fire against heavily armoured vehicles. So...I think I have it.

Anyone else know for sure to confirm? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh... 50mm = 5cm.... Same thing, different measurement scale.

G_X -> (8/6/2002 5:43:13 AM)

Wooops. :D

Dumb me, I knew that, I meant .50 Calibre. Or 12.7mm.

Just was off the ball on that one.

Kanda' -> (8/7/2002 11:38:56 AM)

Greetings...

Vulnerable Location hits have a chance to either knock off a piece of equipment, like radio, skirting, 3rd or 4th weapon or kill crew members. At least thats what I've seen. That and a lot of extra suppresion. As to what it actually does in the game mechanics I don't know for sure. But when i see it, i look for missing men and weapons.

Kanda'

G_X -> (8/8/2002 3:30:09 AM)

Aye Kanda, I forgot to mention the damages it can do.

This is probably the only way you can take down a tank with small arms fire, as a tank with no men becomes destroyed, and you can knock enough of the weapons and other things off to make the tank nothing more than a mobile block of steel, and if you get tread hits, sometimes not even a mobile block of steel.

Capt. Pixel -> (8/8/2002 5:25:59 AM)

What I hate seeing is: "Pen 122, Armor 54". But then nothing happens to the target.

If this is one of those "Through-and-through" shots, I think they happen way too often. :(

G_X -> (8/8/2002 1:48:48 PM)

Hum, I see it alot too, makes me so angry.

What's worse is my Spec-ops assaulting the *** of a AT Pillbox 5 times in a turn, each with like 30%+ chance of success, and all 5 failing.

antarctic -> (8/8/2002 3:15:57 PM)

[QUOTE]my Spec-ops assaulting the *** of a AT Pillbox 5 times in a turn, each with like 30%+ chance of success, and all 5 failing.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm... must be other spec ops guys in the bunker....or else someone needs to be sebnt back to school.....

Antarctic

bigtroutz -> (8/9/2002 12:23:17 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by antarctic
[B]

Hmmmm... must be other spec ops guys in the bunker....or else someone needs to be sebnt back to school.....

Antarctic [/B][/QUOTE]

hehe, the game cheats is all :D This is so typical that alot of folks just smoke the front of bunkers and bypass em.

G_X -> (8/9/2002 10:41:19 AM)

Seriously, bunkers are thick and heavily armoured...but this is ridiculous, that game ended before that bunker became a problem though.

Hades -> (8/9/2002 11:15:07 AM)

I can't stand when a squad assaults a bunk and they fail and become supressed but have no causulties. But smoke works just has well so its really not a problem.

Svennemir -> (8/20/2002 6:10:18 AM)

I think "vulnerable location hits" reduce the nominal armour thickness. Thereby it makes the probability of penetration greater.

At close ranges, many more vuln. location hits will occur, simulating that the troops can better aim for them. So if you want to take out a Tiger with T-34/76 tanks, just go for the sides at range=1 (if you can get there of course) and try a couple of times. But small arms fire won't go through however good the hits are (at least the chance is so low I've never seen it happen).

A vuln. loc. hit doesn't necessarily add suppression, only penetrating hits do. Also, if the round caliber is great enough there is chance of stunning the crew, giving lots of suppression.

G_X -> (8/20/2002 9:14:47 AM)

In My Experience, ANY hit causes Supression.

Most Penetrating hits I get cause damage, usually in the form of a burning hull. I've peppered an IS-3 in a Hot-Seat play with Shermans that had no hope of killing it form the front, got lots of Vuln hits, and had no penetrating hits, the tank was routed when it came the Soviet turn.

rbrunsman -> (8/20/2002 11:35:08 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Svennemir
[B]Also, if the round caliber is great enough there is chance of stunning the crew, giving lots of suppression. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you get the "crew stunned" result, should you stop shooting at that unit? What exactly does "crew stunned" mean? I know that with the Russians, if you shoot a routed unit, it can magically become "ready" so it is a bad idea to shoot a Russian unit with a stunned crew. But, with other countries, if you have no hope of actually destroying the vehicle, is there any good in continuing to shoot at a stunned crew?

fud -> (8/21/2002 1:58:10 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]

If you get the "crew stunned" result, should you stop shooting at that unit? What exactly does "crew stunned" mean? [/B][/QUOTE]

Getting a 'crew stunned' is a good thing. It means that you really rattled them - the shot didn't kill the AVF, but it added a LOT of suppression to the crew. Blaze away some more, maybe you can finish the job. Chances are they'll bug out on their turn if they can.

Svennemir -> (8/21/2002 3:09:16 AM)

Yes, the "crew stunned" means lots of suppression.

[QUOTE]I know that with the Russians, if you shoot a routed unit, it can magically become "ready" so it is a bad idea to shoot a Russian unit with a stunned crew. But, with other countries, if you have no hope of actually destroying the vehicle, is there any good in continuing to shoot at a stunned crew?[/QUOTE]

Of course one might consider shooting at other AFVs now since they obviously won't be up to shooting back anymore this turn. If you have no hope of destroying the vehicle you can still add *more* suppression to them, thereby making it even less likely that they can rally the next turn.

Beside that, the Soviets only get this "fanatical" bonus if they are defending/delaying, so in other engagements feel free to chop away. Otherwise I'd say leave them alone :)

Belisarius -> (8/21/2002 11:01:17 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]

Ahh... 50mm = 5cm.... Same thing, different measurement scale. [/B][/QUOTE]

actually, it's still the same scale (meter), just different prefixes. :D

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI