Thunderstorm attack (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

newoldposter -> Thunderstorm attack (7/31/2010 6:59:04 AM)

I am in a PBEM game where I both attacked and was attacked..(a CV battle) While the hex I was in had thunderstorms...

Is this right? I do have the file..

castor troy -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (7/31/2010 8:08:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: newoldposter

I am in a PBEM game where I both attacked and was attacked..(a CV battle) While the hex I was in had thunderstorms...

Is this right? I do have the file..

happens all the time so I guess thatīs wad

Puhis -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (7/31/2010 8:29:14 AM)

I think 90 % of all air attacks happens during thunderstorm, severe storm or heavy rain... [:)]

Knavey -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (7/31/2010 9:33:55 AM)

Just because you see the clouds, doesn't mean that they are going to close your flight ops down or that you will not get attacked. It only has a chance of disrupting things.

newoldposter -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (7/31/2010 6:22:21 PM)

Really? Historically how many instances of sucessful naval air attacks happened during a Thunderstorm? Visability would be next to nothing wind sheer quite a problem..

Do you know of any? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic but honestly..in World War II, I looked and could not find any. Even today, with all our technology, it would through off quite a bit of our weapon systems.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Just because you see the clouds, doesn't mean that they are going to close your flight ops down or that you will not get attacked. It only has a chance of disrupting things.

Knavey -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (7/31/2010 7:06:10 PM)

I think its more like a high percentage chance of scrubbing the action in that hex. Since the hexes are 40 miles wide there is still a chance there are areas that are not affected by the thunderstorms.

Coral Sea was one of those IIRC. Some ships were obscured by clouds (Zui?) and not subject to attack while others were unable to hide in the squalls and so got hammered.

Botany Bay -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (8/2/2010 12:49:42 PM)

Clouds are not the same as thunderstorms..

crsutton -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (8/2/2010 10:13:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: newoldposter

Really? Historically how many instances of sucessful naval air attacks happened during a Thunderstorm? Visability would be next to nothing wind sheer quite a problem..

Do you know of any? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic but honestly..in World War II, I looked and could not find any. Even today, with all our technology, it would through off quite a bit of our weapon systems.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

You are talking a hex that is about 45 square miles. Some thunderstorms were very big and you could not even risk flying in, but mostly when you have thunderstorms in warm seas you are talking about a number of small squalls with some fair weather in between. The kind of thing a lucky ship might hide in but just as easily get caught in the open. This is exactly what happened to the Hornet during the battle of Santa Cruz. The Big E was able to hide in a sqall but the Hornet remained out in the open and got hammered.

The big thunderstorms sweeping in line such as we get on the East Coast of the US are not as common over water where you don't have large land masses.

I remember from my days out there at sea that you could go in and out of a squall in a few minutes. Lots of rainbows and you might see a waterspout or two.

TheElf -> RE: Thunderstorm attack (8/6/2010 1:32:13 AM)

Thunderstorms, can be isolated, or scattered....this isn't represented in game, but it is true...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI