Spreadsheets / Organization (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

brian800000 -> Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 4:04:25 PM)

I recently purchased this game, which is undoubtedly going to cause nothing but chaos and trauma in my life.

The first problem I wanted to tackle was to work out a way to stay organized (in the game, not in my life, any organizational hopes I had irl were dashed when I bought this game). After reading the forums I envisioned doing this through a series of spreadsheets--one category to track naval ships, one for ground units, one for bases, and one for air units. As the turns play I could update key changes (such as location and combat losses), and then once a month review to update the other data. By sorting and using pivot tables, I could quickly customize almost any report I would ever need.

I think this was a great idea, until I opened the game and saw the incredible number of units. There is no way I can type that info into a spreadsheet! Are there perhaps already made spreadsheets out there with this info? I did a search and found some that may help (primarily around allied set up).

Also, I was planning putting in units under construction. So for example, for CVs I would list all that both I and the enemy have on 12/7/1941, and also all that are under construction with a note of the date in service. However, when I reviewed this I noticed that I have the Lexington (makes sense), but a new Lexington is under construction. That makes sense historically, but what if the first Lexington doesn't get sunk? Will I have two Lexington carriers floating around?

Nomad -> RE: Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 4:16:21 PM)

1. Download Tracker, the best there is for seeing how your forces are. Plus, many of the screens can be downloaded into a CVS file that can then be uploaded into a spread sheet.

2. Any of the ships with a II at the end can be renamed before they are on the map. On the ship available list, select one, and you will see the name is in yellow, not white. You click on it and put in a new name.

3. You should also look at WitPLoadAE. It comes with the game and is in the scen folder of the installed game. It will download the scenario files into CVS files also.

Mike Solli -> RE: Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 4:20:10 PM)

Yeah, the game is a shocker the first time you open it.  [:D] Concerning the Lexington II, you can rename her, along with any ship with a "II" designation.

I fancy myself as the spreadsheet king, and find them very helpful.  Unfortunately, I play the good guys.  Can't help you with my spreadsheets.  There are many spreadsheets from the bad guy (Allied) perspective.  You just have to dig a bit.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the best game ever created!

Mike Solli -> RE: Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 4:20:11 PM)

Duplicate.

brian800000 -> RE: Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 4:49:29 PM)

Thanks guys. I think those tips are going to help a lot.

Djordje -> RE: Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 5:44:09 PM)

You can find tracker and all information about it here:

http://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2236936

pws1225 -> RE: Spreadsheets / Organization (9/17/2010 5:48:38 PM)

When i first bought the game almost a year ago, I too thought spreadsheets might help bring order to the maze of units being offered. However, I found two other simpler approaches that helped simplify the task. The first is the editor. I used it to tell me in a rather convenient form when major combat ships would become available, and when the components of the major (division level) land units would arrive. The editor provides a convenient way of seeing which regs combine to form a division.

The other device is uased is simply a dedicated pen and pad of paper. For me, the most challenging task at the outset was organizing an amphibious invasion. The pad of paper approach simply lists the units I wanted to include and where they are located. That list helped enormously when it came time to load and go.

The bottom line, imo, is to keep it simple at first.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI