The Name of the Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

MacSporran -> The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 11:40:17 AM)

Hi - new here - and am really looking forward to the game but I have a question. Why is it called

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945

when a much more apt name would be

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The Axis-Soviet War 1941-1945

??

The reason I ask is that when I sent the link to a friend of mine , who is a confirmed Italianophile, he queried that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

karonagames -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 11:55:19 AM)

With respect to all the other nations involved, the Germans and the Russians were the only ones that fought the whole war from 1941 to 1945. The Hungarians may have had some isolated units in existence at the end.

It is a reasonable question, but I think the box is now printed.

Helpless -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 11:58:56 AM)

Technically yes, it should be Axis (although not all Axis powers were at state of war with SU), but in many official docs (including Soviet) it was called Soviet-German, eg. SGF - Soviet German Front. So current name wouldn't be historically incorrect as well.

warspite1 -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 12:05:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MacSporran

Hi - new here - and am really looking forward to the game but I have a question. Why is it called

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945

when a much more apt name would be

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The Axis-Soviet War 1941-1945

??

The reason I ask is that when I sent the link to a friend of mine , who is a confirmed Italianophile, he queried that.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Warspite1

Two things spring to mind:

No one doubts (unless we move into Irving [sm=vomit-smiley-020.gif] territory) WWII was Germany's war - and in particular Hitler's obsession for Lebensraum.

The fact that a sad individual like Mussolini and a hotchpotch of "minor nations" joined with Germany for a variety of their own reasons, does not alter that fact.

Secondly, the German effort compared to the Italian, Spanish, Finnish, Romanian, Slovakian et al combined, simply dwarfed the efforts of the other Axis nations.

You could liken it to the Desert War where the British Army fought the Germans. In fact, you could make the case for it being the Empire or Commonwealth Army + Assorted Czechs, Poles + Free French!!

EDIT: sorry forgot the Hungarians [:(]

sitito -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 12:16:33 PM)

Correct me, but i think that all the german allies involved in the east front were under control of the OKW, so they were an extension of the german army.

MacSporran -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 12:41:16 PM)

Thanks for the replies guys - I value the responses. I understand that the game will be marketed as it is just now.
I was merely curious. I'll feed the answers back to my friend.

Cheers!!

Helpless -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 12:46:12 PM)

quote:

Correct me, but i think that all the german allies involved in the east front were under control of the OKW, so they were an extension of the german army.

Not all and not always. Ex. Finnish High Command was very independent.

sitito -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 3:48:45 PM)

quote:

quote:

Not all and not always. Ex. Finnish High Command was very independent.

Touché

paullus99 -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/27/2010 10:03:18 PM)

The Japanese were also considered part of the "Axis" and weren't involved on the Eastern Front - just a nitpick, but you know how people are.

Dukemourn -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/28/2010 12:15:21 AM)

Here's another inconsequential title nitpick. To the Soviets it was the War in the West.

Neal_MLC -> RE: The Name of the Game (11/28/2010 6:34:05 AM)

Wasn't it known as the Great Patriotic in the SU?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI