RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

hgilmer3 -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/11/2010 1:36:46 PM)

C and C is my issue.  I think I'm doing it right, but something is going wrong.  So, obviously not doing it right.

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/11/2010 1:59:07 PM)

Distance from Division to corps HQis usually OK to manage, but in Early turns with the big advances, the corps HQs can get too far from the Army HQs.

Use the "C" button then sort by the DtHq column, anything that is negative needs to be moved into command range.

Rasputitsa -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/14/2010 1:09:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

In most of the scenarios and campaigns, several stacks will contain combat units and HQs that are adjacent to enemy units. Be sure to move your HQs away from the hex before you move the combat units out of the hex.

Can we have a warning box to show if an HQ is going to be left alone - 'HQ will be isolated - move units yes/no'. This post is a good tip, but when the mouse goes to click overload, a hint box will save a lot of heart-ache. This mistake could break a game at a critical time and should have an on screen safety warning. [:)]

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/14/2010 1:22:16 PM)

What's the matter with the school of hard knocks? [:)]

Thanks for the suggestion I will see if I can get it to fly in the Development forum.

pompack -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/14/2010 3:04:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

In most of the scenarios and campaigns, several stacks will contain combat units and HQs that are adjacent to enemy units. Be sure to move your HQs away from the hex before you move the combat units out of the hex.

Can we have a warning box to show if an HQ is going to be left alone - 'HQ will be isolated - move units yes/no'. This post is a good tip, but when the mouse goes to click overload, a hint box will save a lot of heart-ache. This mistake could break a game at a critical time and should have an on screen safety warning. [:)]

Actually I find that "cntl-1" works very well for now. Among other things, just before I end the turn I first hit "c" and insure that no units are out of range of their HQs then I hit "cntl-1" to highlight the HQs. I find that I can quickly spot lonely HQs by the "shape" of the highlighted stacks

Josh -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/14/2010 3:51:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

Seems a good idea to me too. Imagine, three quarters of an hour into the turn, you pushed around a zillion counters, and *poof* gone is your HQ.
That's a school of hard knocks indeed, it might become a gamebreaker for some though.

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/14/2010 4:37:39 PM)

Formal suggestion has been made in development forum.

If you can't break the habit of mistake #1, at least try to get in the habit of pressing "Q" every so often so you can reduce the damage from mistake #1.

Rasputitsa -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/14/2010 10:49:53 PM)

Thanks very much.[:)]

randallw -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/15/2010 5:18:15 AM)

quote:

More tips to follow.

I am confused about this; why must the HQs be moved first? If the combat units move first, does that eliminate the HQ's movement points? Or is it some other problem, such as being in an enemy ZOC and they suffer some retreat attrition?

I have been reading the manual and I did not perceive any rules in there about suffering something awful if I move the HQs after the combat units. Of course I have been reading it while a bit tired.

Aurelian -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/15/2010 5:23:33 AM)

The way I understand it, the instant a HQ is alone and next to an enemy unit, it will be displaced.

It will also lose supply dumps when that happens.

randallw -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/15/2010 5:33:38 AM)

I think they lose dumps even if you move the HQ before the combat units, as a regular move?

The displacement does cause losses among support troops though.

1275psi -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/15/2010 6:36:21 AM)

OK -I'm mucking about with this, only had it a few hours
My NOOB question
I can't sem to unstack stacks - I try to move just one unit (select unit screen on the right) -but all three move.
What doing wrong?

gawd! -so much to learn!

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/15/2010 10:13:48 AM)

Everyone was a noob once!

Unit selection is covered in Don's "opeartional boot camp" tutorial in the "War Room" section of the forum.

But basically once you click on a stack, the right hand selector box pops up. each unit box has a white border. click on the box, the border vanishes and the unit is deselected. Only the units with the white border will move.

But be careful to avoid noob mistake #1!

Zovs -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/15/2010 11:29:29 AM)

Bob, I thought noob mistake # 1 was playing against Andy, no?

First its like [X(] and then [:@] and then you just gotta [:)] and [:D] your butt off and hang your hat up and say I [&o] to the master...

FM WarB -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 4:41:58 AM)

quote:

It became a tradition in the development forums, to post "Where did my HQs go?" threads. So to avoid any similar threads appearing here, you need to know that if HQs are left in a hex on their own, adjacent to enemy units, except when separated by an un-crossable hexside, they will displace 5-6 hexes and lose all their MPs and accumulated supplies.

If I understand it, this erratic HQ displacement is there to insure HQs are not destroyed. Yet HQs are placed in scenarios such that they must move back one hex to avoid scattering back five or six hexes? This does not sound like Noob Mistake nunber 1, but Game Design or Scenario Design mistake number one.

Rosseau -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 5:31:29 AM)

I had like 10 Corps HQs "disbanded" in one turn in the RtM scenario when the Axis shot through a couple of holes. I was five hexes back, but don't seem to have the manpower to cover all my HQs. Or mostly likely, I am missing something.

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 11:26:40 AM)

Soviet Corps HQs do disband on a semi-random schedule, and they should all be gone by November/December 1941

dwesolick -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 6:17:30 PM)

Hi guys,

Great thread! The info here is much appreciated. Finally launched into the grand campaign last night (spent 5-6 hours just moving AG North!!) and have a couple rail repair questions:

I understand the FBD units and they seem to work fine (wish I had more of them!), but just wondering what happens if an enemy unit comes adjacent to them. Do they displace like HQs? (thought I read that somewhere but now can't find it in the manual)

Also, regarding construction Bns, I understand it's best to leave them in HQs, but does it help to have those HQs on or near rail lines...or does that not matter? Does the AI just automatically pick up the slack from what the FBD units missed? I assume they repair at a slower rate than FDB units? Does it help to load up on construction Bns in a particular HQ or is it best to spread them out to all HQs? Is it best to leave them only in corps HQs? Or would you also want them in the higher HQs?

thanks!

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 6:49:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Hi guys,

Great thread! The info here is much appreciated. Finally launched into the grand campaign last night (spent 5-6 hours just moving AG North!!) and have a couple rail repair questions:

I understand the FBD units and they seem to work fine (wish I had more of them!), but just wondering what happens if an enemy unit comes adjacent to them. Do they displace like HQs? (thought I read that somewhere but now can't find it in the manual)

Also, regarding construction Bns, I understand it's best to leave them in HQs, but does it help to have those HQs on or near rail lines...or does that not matter? Does the AI just automatically pick up the slack from what the FBD units missed? I assume they repair at a slower rate than FDB units? Does it help to load up on construction Bns in a particular HQ or is it best to spread them out to all HQs? Is it best to leave them only in corps HQs? Or would you also want them in the higher HQs?

thanks!

yes they are type of HQ.

With regard to CBs, I think most people let them do their own thing, as they are only back-filling your rail grid.

The CBs do pull a double duty by contributing to entrenchment. To get maximum benefit from this you need corps HQs within 5 hexes of Army HQs and army HQs within 5 hexes of an Army Group HQ, so for corps that you can't get the coverage for, it may be worth transferring some CBs direct to the Corps HQs to help build entrenchments ready for the first winter.

dwesolick -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 7:23:52 PM)

Excellent! Thanks for that info. One other quick question: On the unit detail screens it shows the name of the unit in the upper left (in large white lettering) and in the upper right a number (usually 3 digit for my German units, but 4 digit number in the example on page 98 of the manual: 11th Tank Corps 3122), just wondering if that number has any meaning? No reference to it on pg 98.

thanks again!

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 7:27:35 PM)

No meaning; it is the index number for the unit in the Master OOB list in the Editor.

Neal_MLC -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 11:04:09 PM)

41 campaign-Turn 5- normal -German AI. The destroyed units screen that the Soviets lost 52, thats fifty two, HQ units. This cannot be right. That would be just about every one of my HQ units. I'll be more than happy to send a save game file after work tonight

karonagames -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/16/2010 11:08:26 PM)

PM sent.

Flaviusx -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/17/2010 1:02:51 AM)

Those are the Soviet Mech Corps headquarters disbanding. They all go away on turn 5. You will see other corps HQs disband in bits and pieces after that, until the only ones left on the map are the airborne corps HQs.

Some of us think that corps HQs are the spawn of the devil so far as the Red Army goes and cheer when turn 5 arrives.

Rosseau -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/17/2010 2:29:03 AM)

I assumed the disbanding of all these Corps would throw my divisions into C&C and supply turmoil. Ah, I'm just going to keep playing. I guess if I want to change the date to '42 in the editor, this disbanding won't happen.

randallw -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/17/2010 3:54:34 AM)

I believe there are a bunch of army HQs that spring up as replacements.

Rosseau -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/17/2010 5:11:22 AM)

Thanks Randall. I have to remember that whatever scenario you edit, you'll still have the programmed historical events popping up. I'm sure at some point we'll be able to create fictional operations outside the campaign framework.

janbak -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/26/2010 4:22:41 PM)

Hello everybody,

I'm sorry if I'm asking you a very stupid question but I'm a super noob in this kind of games: what are the 2 number at the bottom of each counter? How can I use them to make decisions?

Thx

elmo3 -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (12/26/2010 4:32:56 PM)

attack - move and attack = defense.  Note the - and = are just separators, not minus and equals signs.

JAMiAM -> RE: Where did my HQs go? Noob mistake #1 (1/16/2011 10:29:00 AM)

Any word on getting the warning for imminently displacing HQs? Really, it's like 10 lines of code and yes/no graphic popup. This is one of the roughest edges in the game, and really inexcusable given the vast amount of detail elsewhere.

Yes...I did just brainfarted tonight and displaced one of my Pz Korps HQs on turn 2 of the GC41-45, in a tight PBEM game, and I'm f*cking pissed off. Not only at such a stupid move of my own, but of such a glaring omission in basic UI design...[:@]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI