[Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

robske -> [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 10:55:39 AM)

Link to playthrough 1
Link to playthrough 2

Basically, this video shows me starting an empire in a quite hospitable map. I've been playing Distant Worlds since it had been released. I mostly play with the Sluken race, but now I went for a game with the Zenox :)

Constructive criticism is welcome!

PS: I recorded this with fraps, with the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

edit1: Added link to the second playthrough! Sorry for the msn popups!

Igard -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 12:02:39 PM)

Awesome job, robske! I also used fraps to make my Archer era mod video. It took me a while to figure out you need the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 12:36:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Awesome job, robske! I also used fraps to make my Archer era mod video. It took me a while to figure out you need the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

Ty! Basically, I'm planning on going strong straight from the start with this game. Hence that I build so many ships. It's a different approach then usually. Usually, I try to keep it peaceful in the beginning, and expand as much as I can. Here it will be a mix of expansion and military prowess.

tegenAQR -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 1:15:59 PM)

Hey robske,
great video! I was searching for this kind of videos on ytube but couldn't manage to find anything besides the videos from codeforce.
I know that your video is not ment to be for newcomers to the game (quite sure about that) but it would be even better if you would do your actions a bit slower. You say that your trying another strategy. Try to give more insight on that in your commentary. I'm sure it would improve your videos.

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 1:48:38 PM)

Thanks! The next video will be telling my strategy for this game!

I will also make my actions slower in the next one!

Thanks for the feedback!

Merker -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 2:09:34 PM)

Awesome dude, that's what I've been looking for for so long, thanks a lot. Now hopefully, it will also bring DW to light so that many more people can see it.

Cheers

Erik Rutins -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 3:34:30 PM)

Hi Robske,

Great job, I really enjoyed watching you play. My only suggestion for your next video would be to reduce the music volume a bit as in a few places it was hard to hear you through the music.

Regards,

- Erik

s20dan -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 3:47:09 PM)

Nice Video Rob!

quote:

It took me a while to figure out you need the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

Thats odd, you really shouldn't need Aero mode enabled to record a video....
Ok I havent actually tried this with DW, but I have never noticed this with Fraps recording any D3D application.

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/10/2010 6:07:19 PM)

@Erik: Thanks! I will likely make a next playthrough tomorrow, and will process the suggestions in that.

@s20dan: Ty again [:)] The thing is that fraps is not compatible with how DW draws. It likely uses alternate directX libraries or GDI+ for drawing. Fraps only has a hook for the default DirectX libraries as far as I know. But I can never be sure. It's simply that I know this, since I've worked with GDI+ and a bit of directX (yes, I can code [:)]).

Expect the next video to be released tomorrow or sunday [:)]

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/11/2010 4:59:26 PM)

Update: Added episode 2!

Erik Rutins -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/11/2010 6:57:02 PM)

Excellent video, Robske!

Which mods are you using? They look good.

I also noticed you upgrading ships one at a time on the Ship Design screen. Did you know that you can Shift-Click to select multiple ships and upgrade them all at the same time? Once I have my custom designs set, I often shift-click to select all the designs on that screen and use the Upgrade button to keep them up to date, until a new tech makes some redesign necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (12/11/2010 7:27:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Excellent video, Robske!

Which mods are you using? They look good.

I also noticed you upgrading ships one at a time on the Ship Design screen. Did you know that you can Shift-Click to select multiple ships and upgrade them all at the same time? Once I have my custom designs set, I often shift-click to select all the designs on that screen and use the Upgrade button to keep them up to date, until a new tech makes some redesign necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Hey, thanks! Would it be better to make a jump to wartime in the next playthrough, or continue with buildup?

Mods used: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2443302

And thanks for the tip! I will use that next time!

Cheers,
Robske

Data -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (1/8/2011 2:26:33 PM)

more, more [&o]

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (1/8/2011 5:13:04 PM)

I will make more, just need a well-set-up DW:RotS game :) Or do you want one straight from the start again?

Data -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (1/8/2011 6:12:49 PM)

hmm, do i want to wait or get one straight way? now, now please :)

robske -> RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1 (1/9/2011 12:39:32 AM)

Video will be coming soon [:)]

Will be one straight from the start [:)]

Just very busy with setting up competitions for a certain game [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI