Stability of Expansion on Release Day (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Delta_V -> Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/13/2010 4:08:50 AM)

Erik/Elliot/Beta-testers,

Vanilla Distant Worlds took a few months and a few patches to get to the 1.0.6.0 level of stability and balance that we have today (which is fantastic). What kind of stability and balance do you predict we'll have for the expansion on day 1 release?

rmielech -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/13/2010 4:19:02 AM)

I'm going to take a wild guess that this will not be a negative response.

TheLastRonin -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/13/2010 6:20:09 AM)

I have no fear... I think it will be balanced enough and if it's not then as far as I'm concerned Matrix Games has a good track record of polishing and supporting their games [:)].

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/13/2010 10:33:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delta_V

Erik/Elliot/Beta-testers,

Vanilla Distant Worlds took a few months and a few patches to get to the 1.0.6.0 level of stability and balance that we have today (which is fantastic). What kind of stability and balance do you predict we'll have for the expansion on day 1 release?

Thanks for the inquiry Delta_V. On behalf of the beta-testers, I think it's safe to say we are really
putting the expansion through the testing "ringer". I don't think you will be disappointed. I expect
both great stability and balance in the game.

Kadrush -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/13/2010 10:34:05 AM)

I would understand if the game is released with a few bugs and unstable on late game (to many variables to beta testers to test or hunt).

It will be playable, but its maximum performance would probably demand a few patchs, which is a classic in any strategy game.

A shooter, on the other hand and for example, is easier to make, to bug hunt, action or racing games are the same (there is no complexity increase during the game, late game is very similar to game start).

A simulation or a strategy game demands inteligence to play (sometimes a lot) and even more inteligence to make it.

DW is a classic example of a strategy game which is probably made by strategy gamers (not sure about the staff).

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/13/2010 5:50:34 PM)

I hope late game testing has been stronger this time.

J HG T -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 8:26:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I hope late game testing has been stronger this time.

Same here. The only real bugs I've encountered in DW have been in late game.

oxenshtrudel -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 9:46:21 AM)

As another beta-tester I agree with Ehsumrell1 that the expansion will have great stability and balance. I think I had one CTD (crash to desktop) during the entire beta and that was on one of the first builds almost 2 months ago and I have been playing in average 2 hours/day on two different computers. Balance however is always a matter personal preference so there will always be those who think some part is unbalanced. In my view the latest builds have been more stable and balanced than 1.0.6 and I will never go back to original distant worlds. Playing with the expansion is so much more fun.

Igard -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 11:35:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

Playing with the expansion is so much more fun.

It certainly looks it, oxenshtrudel. I have to admit at first I was a tiny bit disappointed to hear that UI was a focus of the expansion rather than things like diplomacy and mod support. However after seeing the improvements to the UI, I realise the game looks so much better for it.

I'll be expecting bugs though. I don't think beta testing can compare to the game being tested by everyone and I always expect the worst. Hopefully they aren't too nasty and Elliot can get to work on mod support, after he's has a suitably long enough period of R&R. [;)]

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 8:02:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

Playing with the expansion is so much more fun.

It certainly looks it, oxenshtrudel. I have to admit at first I was a tiny bit disappointed to hear that UI was a focus of the expansion rather than things like diplomacy and mod support. However after seeing the improvements to the UI, I realise the game looks so much better for it.

I'll be expecting bugs though. I don't think beta testing can compare to the game being tested by everyone and I always expect the worst. Hopefully they aren't too nasty and Elliot can get to work on mod support, after he's has a suitably long enough period of R&R. [;)]

I'm seriously hoping to disappoint you concerning expecting bugs Igard. In addition, as a modder,
I'm more concerned that you will have enough time trying to figure out how many more, and what
type of new race you're going to add. [:D] Plus the different shipsets they'll need.... I'll
just leave it at that for now.[sm=00000506.gif]

tjhkkr -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 11:18:55 PM)

Thanks for the inquiry Delta_V. On behalf of the beta-testers, I think it's safe to say we are really
putting the expansion through the testing "ringer". I don't think you will be disappointed. I expect
both great stability and balance in the game.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAA
I am so looking forward to this.

tjhkkr -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 11:20:32 PM)

Oh, it ran of the page, so I will be a little more restrained.
Yeeha!

Erik Rutins -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/14/2010 11:40:38 PM)

I'm sure there will be bugs that will only come out after release, that's unfortunately almost inevitable when you go from a test team to the full public. However, we kept development and testing going longer than originally planned to make sure we had all the serious issues we could find (including crashes) fixed. As with the original release, we will also be watching the reports carefully and responding quickly with post-release support if any serious or critical issues show up.

With that said, I just played through the entire end game again last night and this morning (for about the 100th time) to make sure it was still working fine in the gold master and got my butt kicked, without any bugs, crashes or other odd stuff. I think that compared to the 1.00 release of Distant Worlds, which had far more issues than we would have liked, hopefully this will be a much smoother release (knock on wood).

Regards,

- Erik

Delta_V -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/15/2010 12:14:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'm sure there will be bugs that will only come out after release, that's unfortunately almost inevitable when you go from a test team to the full public. However, we kept development and testing going longer than originally planned to make sure we had all the serious issues we could find (including crashes) fixed. As with the original release, we will also be watching the reports carefully and responding quickly with post-release support if any serious or critical issues show up.

With that said, I just played through the entire end game again last night and this morning (for about the 100th time) to make sure it was still working fine in the gold master and got my butt kicked, without any bugs, crashes or other odd stuff. I think that compared to the 1.00 release of Distant Worlds, which had far more issues than we would have liked, hopefully this will be a much smoother release (knock on wood).

Regards,

- Erik

Awesome, thank you so much Erik. When you say you were playing in the gold master did you mean you are playing in the ACTUAL gold master or a release candidate?

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/15/2010 12:36:04 AM)

quote:

With that said, I just played through the entire end game again last night and this morning (for about the 100th time) to make sure it was still working fine in the gold master and got my butt kicked, without any bugs, crashes or other odd stuff.

Regards,
- Erik

Admiral Erik.....got your butt kicked...... OH NO! ALL IS DOOMED! [sm=fighting0056.gif]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/15/2010 1:44:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
Admiral Erik.....got your butt kicked...... OH NO! ALL IS DOOMED! [sm=fighting0056.gif]

It wasn't even close this time and I watched through to the end in fascination as I was run over. I've beaten the end game before, but it is tough. I will say no more until after release.

Regards,

- Erik

Solus -> RE: Stability of Expansion on Release Day (12/15/2010 1:55:42 AM)

quote:

...I will say no more until after release.

*waits patiently*

*fidget**fidget**fidget*

[:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI