Customizing Return of the Shakturi (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Shark7 -> Customizing Return of the Shakturi (12/16/2010 9:27:03 PM)

While I assume the old customization guide still holds true, I'd also like to know what additions have been made so I can start tinkering with a custom theme. [;)]

So I'll ask some Q's to get it started, and those that know (Elliot, Erik) can fill out the list.

1. How many races are we limited to in RoTS? Can we have more than the 20 we were limited to in the original?
2. What new stats are available for editing?
3. Can any new areas of the game be editing yet (IE resources, etc)?

I'm sure others will add to this list...

TheLastRonin -> RE: Customizing Return of the Shakturi (12/16/2010 9:47:25 PM)

quote:

1. How many races are we limited to in RoTS? Can we have more than the 20 we were limited to in the original.

I can answer this one. There is no upper limit to the races you can have but I believe you can only have 22 (?) shipsets or the game will crash. If you share shipsets though you could have 100 races.

elliotg -> RE: Customizing Return of the Shakturi (12/16/2010 10:00:53 PM)

Hi Shark

We will be making a revised modding guide sometime soon. And we'll be adding further modding support in updates. Not sure which will come first [:D]

But to address the extended modding abilities already present in Return of the Shakturi:

While there is currently no limit on the number of races, I would suggest keeping it at 40 or under.

As mentioned you can now have up to 22 ship image sets (up from the original 9).

Here's a few more new settings plucked straight out of the races.txt file:
' - Tech Focus 1: 0=None, 1=Beams, 2=Torpedoes, 3=Missiles, 4=Area Weapons, 5=Ion Weapons, 6=Fighters, 7=Shields, 8=Reactors, 9=Engines, 10=HyperDrives, 11=Hyper Disruption, 12=Construction, 13=Computers, 14=Sensors
' - Tech Focus 2: 0=None, 1=Beams, 2=Torpedoes, 3=Missiles, 4=Area Weapons, 5=Ion Weapons, 6=Fighters, 7=Shields, 8=Reactors, 9=Engines, 10=HyperDrives, 11=Hyper Disruption, 12=Construction, 13=Computers, 14=Sensors
' - Native planet type: 0=Continental, 1=MarshySwamp, 2=Desert, 3=Ocean, 4=Ice, 5=Volcanic
' - Special Component: 0=None, 1=Death Ray, 2=Devastator Pulse, 3=Super Laser, 4=StarBurner, 5=TurboThruster, 6=Swift Vector, 7=Megatron, 8=NovaCore, 9=VelocityDrive, 10=ShadowGhost ECM, 11=Shaktur FireStorm, 12=High Density Fuel Cell, 13=S2F7 RepairBot, 14=PulseWave Cannon, 15=Raptor Targetting System
' - Special Government: 0=None, 1=Technocracy, 2=HiveMind, 3=MercantileGuild, 4=UtopianParadise, 5=Way of the Ancients, 6=Way of Darkness
' - Preferred Starting Government: 0=No preference, 1=Technocracy, 2=HiveMind, 3=MercantileGuild, 4=UtopianParadise, 5=Way of the Ancients, 6=Way of Darkness, 7=Despotism, 8=Feudalism, 9=Monarchy, 10=Republic, 11=Democracy, 12=Military Dictatorship
' - Expanding: indicates whether this race will colonize new planets or not (Y/N). Set this to 'N' to create a static empire that does not colonize
' - Can be Pirate: indicates whether this race can be a pirate faction or not (Y/N)
' - Playable: indicates whether this race can be selected by the player as their empire's race at start of game or not (Y/N)

Hope that helps
Elliot

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Customizing Return of the Shakturi (12/16/2010 10:07:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

While I assume the old customization guide still holds true, I'd also like to know what additions have been made so I can start tinkering with a custom theme. [;)]

So I'll ask some Q's to get it started, and those that know (Elliot, Erik) can fill out the list.

1. How many races are we limited to in RoTS? Can we have more than the 20 we were limited to in the original?
2. What new stats are available for editing?
3. Can any new areas of the game be editing yet (IE resources, etc)?

I'm sure others will add to this list...

Hello Shark7;
In adding to what Elliot just provided I'll repeat a response to a previous post.
There are a total of 22 races in the races file in the expansion. The 20 original races
plus the 2 new races. There are ten ship families in the expansion. The 8 from the
original plus the ship families for the 2 new, added races. In addition, a fighter and bomber
image file was added for each existing ship family.

Mod-wise, 12 more ship families (for a total of 22)can be added (ie. family13, family14, etc.).
You must create/supply the shipsets for each individual ship family. Otherwise, like in the
original, the additional races you add without a shipset will revert to using the shipset in
the ship family1 directory. With that said, you can add as many races to the races text file
as you please. There is no upper limit (But heed what Elliot just said).
Note that more that 22 ship families will crash the game. In addition, if you place shipsets in the additional ship families you create from 13 up to 22, your loading times WILL increase and the game speed will be dependent on the strength of your system. I have tested this with 22 ship family games and it does work (it's a blast!)

Finally remember that this has to be done as a theme via the customization folder like any
previous mod. I'm sure that Elliot will post more in the modding forum and I'm certain that the
customization guide will be updated soon as feasibly possible as he stated.

Shark7 -> RE: Customizing Return of the Shakturi (12/17/2010 12:08:03 AM)

Thanks for the replies Elliot and ehsumrell1. The race limit was my main concern, and I only plan to add about half a dozen, so I should be good. and as everyone is probably aware, I've been working on a shipset over the last week or so, nearly finished with it.

The new stats will come in handy...now off to tinker with a theme. [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI