Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Tacit_Exit -> Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 3:32:44 PM)

Why do my default Research Base designs have Med. and Rec. centre components?

And default Resort Base design also has Med. Centre component?(Rec. Centre is required by class for the latter).

I can't see any reason but just thought I'd check.

Also pls can we get retrofitting for non-planetary bases, my Resort Base is full and I need to add more rooms without expelling the current guests into the void.

Oh and does anyone know if the Area Shield Recharge and Fleet Countermeasures components will apply to Fighters/Bombers?

Lastly, awesome work on the expansion Codeforce peeps [&o]

Spacecadet -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 3:47:30 PM)

I think the Medical and Recreational facilities are on these Bases because some locations are actually habitable planets - so you could build one of these Bases instead (or in addition) of a Spaceport.

In the case of the Resort Base, since Med and Rec make people happy, and you have lots of Peeps on your Resort Base . . . . I'm not certain on this one, but it would make sense.

caerr -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 3:47:50 PM)

I'm guessing they're in just for the flavor. The scientist staff would use them, assuming the stations aren't entirely remote controlled. And the medical centre on resort base would be for treating injured tourists on their wild escapades.

You can remove them without any ill-effects, and save a few credits. But think of the poor scientists!

forsaken1111 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 3:51:13 PM)

Yeah, I think the only reason they're there is that they 'should be'. Removing them should have no game impact. Honestly I never even noticed they were there.

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 6:30:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

I think the Medical and Recreational facilities are on these Bases because some locations are actually habitable planets - so you could build one of these Bases instead (or in addition) of a Spaceport.

In the case of the Resort Base, since Med and Rec make people happy, and you have lots of Peeps on your Resort Base . . . . I'm not certain on this one, but it would make sense.

You're correct Spacecadet. Since some research bonuses and resort locations are on planets (i.e.
special ruins, fire ring planets, etc.) and some of these planets could also be colonizable, there
needed to be a way to take advantage of those situations. From all my testing, they're rarely
generated. But I have encountered a Desert Planet with a fantastic ruin on it that gave a 43%
scenery bonus. Plus once I saw a Volcanic Planet (79% Quality at that) with fire rings for a 70%
scenery bonus and had a independent colony on it. I lost a colony ship though because the race
was not entirely friendly (Hakkonish if I remember correctly). This really is great if you have
modified your resort base design like I do. I ALWAYS add a number of all three lab types to my
resort base designs so they can encompass all potential bonuses. Plus they boost my research
capacity well enough so that I don't need a lot of other research stations spread everywhere.
The Med and Recreation facilities onboard are a plus if the planet has a colony due to the
happiness increase they provide.

Wouldn't it make your mouth water to have an explorer find a Continental Planet with a ruin that
contains a research bonus and surrounded by fire rings! OH MY!!!!!!!!! [sm=00000280.gif]

Carewolf -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 7:30:38 PM)

I haven't seen any visitors to resort bases over colonies, do resort bases even work on colonies?

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 8:15:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carewolf

I haven't seen any visitors to resort bases over colonies, do resort bases even work on colonies?

Yes. As long as the resort base is still near other colony systems that are migrating population
and tourists everything still applies the same.

Shark7 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/19/2010 11:26:06 PM)

Honestly, you could design the ultimate base to take advantage of all. Call it a resort base, but build it to starport specifications...with passenger compartments. Catagorize as resort though, should still function to get you the scenery income, but also function just like a spaceport.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 4:34:19 AM)

Would a 'resort' base still benefit from the research bonus of a location if it had research components?

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 4:45:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

Would a 'resort' base still benefit from the research bonus of a location if it had research components?

As stated in my Post#5 above, yes, a Resort Base with research lab components will receive the
research bonus percentage from the site. Note though that it needs to have the lab component that
matches the stated bonus (i.e. a energy lab component for a energy bonus at that site). That is
why, as I mentioned earlier, I place all three lab types on the Resort Bases I build. In the new
expansion, the AI does a much better job of building the correct bases on the sites with bonuses.

Solus -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 4:52:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Honestly, you could design the ultimate base to take advantage of all. Call it a resort base, but build it to starport specifications...with passenger compartments. Catagorize as resort though, should still function to get you the scenery income, but also function just like a spaceport.

Do you need to categorise it as a resort? I ask because I'm able to build a generic 'Star base' with research labs and still get a research bonus (i.e., it doesn't have to be categorised as the specific kind of research base to match the available research bonus). And likewise, you can get research bonuses from a Resort base. So you should be able to get people to travel to generic star bases (or anywhere with the appropriate facilities).

forsaken1111 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 4:56:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

As stated in my Post#5 above, yes, a Resort Base with research lab components will receive the
research bonus percentage from the site. Note though that it needs to have the lab component that
matches the stated bonus (i.e. a energy lab component for a energy bonus at that site). That is
why, as I mentioned earlier, I place all three lab types on the Resort Bases I build. In the new
expansion, the AI does a much better job of building the correct bases on the sites with bonuses.
Ahh sorry I missed that. I wasn't sure just how much of a base's function comes from the 'class'. For example if I designed a 'high tech research base' with shipyards, docking bays, and passenger compartments would it function as a resort base and spaceport as well?

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 5:01:57 AM)

Yes, if you classified the design as a Resort base. That way it would recognize and
receive any location bonuses. The passenger compartments and the commerce center that
the design requirements demand would allow the AI to know that migrant/passengers can
dock there.

Aures -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 5:07:48 AM)

I think the base has to be given the resort base role for the passenger compartments to attract tourists. But other functions like research, mining, construction do not require a particular role. If that is the case the multiple purpose bases should be classified as resort bases so those components work properly.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 5:15:55 AM)

I assume such a multi-purpose base would not work with the 'refuel/repair at nearest spaceport' order even if it had all of the spaceport equipment? (shipyards, docking bays, etc)

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 5:21:15 AM)

Yes it does work.

sbach2o -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 10:29:57 AM)

quote:

I assume such a multi-purpose base would not work with the 'refuel/repair at nearest spaceport' order even if it had all of the spaceport equipment? (shipyards, docking bays, etc)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Yes it does work.

Sometimes unfortunately so.

This is from pre-expansion experience, but there I had an unfortunate incident where I kept a starbase in an asteroid field. It wasn't much use for anything, IIRC, probably no mineable resource underneath it, as is/was rather the rule with these found installations.

But it attracted lots of ships I sent for retrofit or disassembly. At one time a pirate faction nearby joined me with more than a dozen ships. Many of these had components installed from which I could still hope to learn something. They ended up at that base for retirement.

And then construction got stuck.

There were probably some freighters under construction. Maybe those ended up clogging up the queue which is particularly nasty, as it takes away any means of control. In this case there was a lack of resources for this new construction, I think. However, over the course of a half-dozen game years or longer the base was never supplied with anything. I cannot be sure it was due to it being a 'found' base or just a generic 'starbase' or the bug that occasionally can cause any construction to get stuck anywhere... But eventually I resigned to scrap that base together with everything stuck in its queue.

Anyway, I'd be very reluctant to rely on anything but a standard spaceport for retrofits or retirements.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 11:36:26 AM)

I've experienced that as well with a starbase in an asteroid field which I found, and this is with the expansion installed. I sent a ship off to retire and it was stuck in queue behind some civilian ships which never (in 10 years or so) managed to get completed. I don't know if this was because the civilian freighters never brought the materials in or what, maybe it didn't have enough cargo space? Whatever the reason, this resulted in me scrapping the base as I couldn't cancel these ships or abort the retirement once the ship was in queue.

elmo3 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 12:41:51 PM)

We're way off topic here but maybe when you build a starbase you could designate some shipyards for military purposes only and the rest are civilian?  Or just have a 50-50 split, each with it's own queue?  Probably not that easy to reprogram the game but it's a thought.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Useless(?) Components in Default Base Designs (12/20/2010 1:31:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

We're way off topic here but maybe when you build a starbase you could designate some shipyards for military purposes only and the rest are civilian?  Or just have a 50-50 split, each with it's own queue?  Probably not that easy to reprogram the game but it's a thought.

Or just a empire policy setting which says "Give military construction priority" so they bump any civilian construction back into the queue or something.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI