Why research advanced Bombard tech? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support

ASHBERY76 -> Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 10:42:23 PM)

1st tier Bombard is seriously overpowered.I can just build a few destroyers with nuclear devastators and can wipe out a whole homeworld in a few minutes which has the highest population in the game.Most colonies have small pop numbers and get nucked in seconds so why would you actually waste research on this tech tier?

Lower level bombard techs needs a huge nerf to make this a relavent tech.Bombarding colonies to death should be a lot slower in general.

diablo1 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 10:51:56 PM)

Wow everytime I turn around something else is bad about this game. Makes me wonder why so many can promote it when it has so many issues from fueling, to lame ai to overpowered nukes. That's just on the front page I haven't got back to the others yet.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 10:53:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Wow everytime I turn around something else is bad about this game. Makes me wonder why so many can promote it when it has so many issues from fueling, to lame ai to overpowered nukes. That's just on the front page I haven't got back to the others yet.

Please just stop trolling our forum.

diablo1 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 10:54:12 PM)

If you keep following me from thread to thread forsaken1111 I'm going to report you for harassment and stalking.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 10:56:45 PM)

quote:

If you keep following me from thread to thread forsaken1111 I'm going to report you for harassment and stalking.

Feel free to do so. As long as you continue to spam every thread with unhelpful unconstructive posts I will continue to ask you to stop.

diablo1 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:06:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

quote:

Feel free to do so. As long as you continue to spam every thread with unhelpful unconstructive posts I will continue to ask you to stop.

Consider yourself reported then.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:10:11 PM)

So noted. I'm not worried, I've done nothing but ask you to stop spamming advertisements for X3 and start contributing to the forum.

PDiFolco -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:17:16 PM)

Rerail pls... Yes the basic nuclear bombs are totally overpowered, to the point I don't want to use them!

forsaken1111 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:19:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Rerail pls... Yes the basic nuclear bombs are totally overpowered, to the point I don't want to use them!

Sorry about that. [sm=00000436.gif]

I too find the bombard weapons a bit overpowered, but that isn't a bad thing to me. I'm playing as evil space bugs at the moment.

PDiFolco -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:22:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

quote:

Sorry about that. [sm=00000436.gif]

I too find the bombard weapons a bit overpowered, but that isn't a bad thing to me. I'm playing as evil space bugs at the moment.

It's not fun to wipe out all of an empire with a paltry 3 frigates fleet that operates once the fleet/base defense has been disposed of...

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:24:03 PM)

quote:

[It's not fun to wipe out all of an empire with a paltry 3 frigates fleet that operates once the fleet/base defense has been disposed of...

Indeed the balance is way out and more important the bombard research tree is pointless as it stands.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/29/2010 11:25:02 PM)

Well, it's fun once or twice. [sm=00000612.gif]

But yeah I agree with you. Maybe the difference between the researched bombardment weapons should be greater.

feygan -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 12:16:15 AM)

+1 on them being overpowered, although simply nerfing them really wouldn't help that much as you would just bring along an extra couple of bombard only ships loaded up with them and get the same end result for what works out as maybe 20k extra credits.

So how about as you progress up the tech tree they do less planet damage instead, this way your basic nuke will leave you a nice clean planet in that it kills 99% of everything. But a tier 4 bombard would be so advanced its almost like a nano bomb it just wipes out the pop and enemy troops only leaving everything else intact and a nice new shiny homeworld for you. Of course you would still get just a big if not larger rep hit as your still commiting genocide, but at least theres a viable reason for bigger better WMD's.

forsaken1111 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 12:18:16 AM)

Oh nice idea. So they become 'cleaner' while still blasting away the xenos filth.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 1:24:45 AM)

Why has this been moved to tech support? This is a game balance flaw.

EisenHammer -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 1:40:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Why has this been moved to tech support? This is a game balance flaw.

Good question [&:]

I also agree bombard tech needs to be balance.

BigWolfChris -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 2:14:34 AM)

Personally I've never use bombard weapons as that's simply not the way I play (prefer to "assimilate" my targets lol)
But I notice most games have always had these type of weapons fairly over-powered
Is there not facilities that can be researched to increase resistance to these weapons?
Might also be worth limiting how many can be placed on a ship maybe?  Or increase their energy requirements

Shark7 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 4:03:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

Personally I've never use bombard weapons as that's simply not the way I play (prefer to "assimilate" my targets lol)
But I notice most games have always had these type of weapons fairly over-powered
Is there not facilities that can be researched to increase resistance to these weapons?
Might also be worth limiting how many can be placed on a ship maybe?  Or increase their energy requirements

On the other hand, you have me...who hates creepy crawly bugs...I need the industrial strength RAID. [;)]

In truth I don't wipe out any species, but I do reduce their numbers through firepower. Meaning I capture one planet of the bugs and will clean the rest and re-colonize with my people.

More on topic...limiting the bombard weapons to 1 or 2 per ship would still leave plenty of them, without making them too overpowered maybe?

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 9:34:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

More on topic...limiting the bombard weapons to 1 or 2 per ship would still leave plenty of them, without making them too overpowered maybe?

It only takes one or two weapons to bombard a homeworld population to death in a few minutes on the first tech tech level,hence the Bombard tech tree is redundant.

BigWolfChris -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 1:36:24 PM)

They are really that powerful?  Wow
Defo need to have their power reduced then
For a planet with billions of people, it should take many many ships to wipe them out... or a few ships with that the researched version

Setekh -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 1:58:01 PM)

Never used these weapons because I prefer to leave planets in good condition as I tend to conquer them the old fashioned way and not inherit a nuclear wasteland.

solops -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 4:07:55 PM)

Considering what is actually happening, I think that obliterating a civ from orbit should be pretty simple with just a few low tech ships. What may be out of balance here is not the weapons, but the defenses.

Shark7 -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 4:50:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

It only takes one or two weapons to bombard a homeworld population to death in a few minutes on the first tech tech level,hence the Bombard tech tree is redundant.

Then to make it non-redundant: Start out very heavy (IE triple or quadruple the current weight), and each tech level reduces the weight. Would that make it more worth researching the higher levels?

dzilla -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (12/30/2010 7:26:37 PM)

The other way to reduce the power of these weapons is to limit ammo. MoO used to do this with both missiles and bombs. The higher level techs would increase ammo loadout and/or reduce size/weight.

PDiFolco -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (1/2/2011 6:47:59 PM)

Mod : Pls move back this thread to discussion forum, it's OT here !!

Puzzlemaker -> RE: Why research advanced Bombard tech? (1/2/2011 7:26:21 PM)

I only used bombard when I get frustrated because I didn't bring enough troops.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI