31 Battles in WW2 Campaign!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Figmo -> 31 Battles in WW2 Campaign!! (9/3/2002 7:50:19 AM)

This may not be much for others - but a first for me with 31 battles.

29 Decisives and 2 marginals. I played as the Germans and must have picked the right countries to fight. My campaigns usually only last about 22 or so battles. I started on 9/1/39 and it ended after a 3/45 battle.

Anybody else experience this? Anybody have more battles in a campaign - just curious?

BTW - with doing some other wargame stuff, work and being possessed by this campaign - that's where I've been for a while.

Figmo

Supervisor -> (9/3/2002 9:29:05 AM)

Mine usually lasted between 20-25 battles not with as many DVs though, maybe that's why it keep going and going. They wanted to see if it was possible to break you, and they figured out it couldn't be done. And that would explain the disapperance, glad to see you back.:D

john g -> Re: 31 Battles in WW2 Campaign!! (9/4/2002 2:49:16 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Figmo
[B]This may not be much for others - but a first for me with 31 battles.

29 Decisives and 2 marginals. I played as the Germans and must have picked the right countries to fight. My campaigns usually only last about 22 or so battles. I started on 9/1/39 and it ended after a 3/45 battle.

Anybody else experience this? Anybody have more battles in a campaign - just curious?

BTW - with doing some other wargame stuff, work and being possessed by this campaign - that's where I've been for a while.

Figmo [/B][/QUOTE]

Back with v2.3 I started a long campaign with the Germans vs the Czechs, Poles and French projected dates 1/38-12/40. Somehow I managed to load it into the WWII campaign while playing against the Poles and it continued on there. I went from 1/38-3/45. Never have looked at why my core force was able to switch campaigns. I also went thru several version upgrades ending up at 4.3b before I ended the campaign, each time I upgraded I got a draw score inspite of the real victory. I had something like 36dv 3mv and 3draw. So far it is the only time I have made it all the way thru the WWII campaign.
thanks, John.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (9/4/2002 8:32:55 AM)

My loooong campaigns are always looooonger if I stay in the desert against the tommies with a german force.

Finally got tired this time round and went to russia in 42 where I am getting a good shellacing now heheh.

Figmo -> (9/4/2002 8:47:44 AM)

I usually stay on the Eastern Front but this time went to North Africa and the Western Front a lot. My biggest surprise was those Pershings, when I first ran into them I let them get a side shot on a JgdTiger and lost a crew with something like 60 kills, then some Easy 8s knocked out another - I gave them much more respect after that. Already knew about the British 17lbers - knock out the Fireflys first and life is easier.

BTW - Don't tell Fabio I lost some JgdTigers to American tanks - I think it's sacrilege. :eek:

Figmo

Charles2222 -> (9/4/2002 8:21:39 PM)

As I've been doing for the last 1 1/2-2 years I switch from SPWAW to SPWW2 in playing campaigns. I usually did it out of frustration and just plain boredom. I've yet to get beyond the first battle in Russia before I switch to another campaign, usually of a different nation, and often from the opposite SP. I may never get past the first battle in Russia, but something has started to occur to me after all this time. I think I'm actually getting to where I "like" to play that way. One reason is readily apparent, because the two are different enough that there are some surprises along the way if you've been absent awhile. If I'm really sure this sort of arrangement has promise, I'll have to remember to guard my previous saved games with the utmost respect. All too often when I do some sort of switch, say in this case I want to play the Germans, I'll completely wipe out my prior GE campaign and start all over. Maybe the ultimate would be to have the highest regards for both a USSR and GE campaign in both versions, so some continuity develops. I don't know, though, because after I've switched awhile and came back, the reason I usually restart is because I feel distant from my forces and I enjoy picking cores.

Over the period I described, I've even gone through 3-4 phases on how and what I'll pick in my forces (which doesn't help). For example, I used to alternate between infantry/tank/artillery in the order I picked them, that shifted to picking a tank company 1st, infantry 2nd, and more tanks and artillery last. Now recon infantry first, infantry company 2nd, tank company 3rd, and assorted things including artillery after that.

Anyway, I got somewhat bored with my last campaign in SPWW2 lately, so I switched back this weekend to a GE SPWAW one. Man if after all this time the GE campaign is going to last only 20-25 battles I'm going to be sore. That would just about seal SPWW2 as the favorite with me, although my track record hasn't been going beyond 6/41.

Bing -> (9/5/2002 1:14:52 AM)

Keep trying, with 32 you get a toaster.

Didn't you get .. sort of ... caught up in the relentless nature of 31 consecutive battles on the same subject? I know I sighed an huge sigh of relief when I got near the end of LV.

Wild Bill's U2R is about half as long, actually shorter I believe. That is plenty long enough for me - qualified by the fact that I took the ratings my GI's had earned and edited them into the US for The Victors.

Man, you shoulda seen those Ivans run. Had to scale back on weapons such as US rockets. There wasn't anything left to fight. Literally.

Bing

Figmo -> (9/5/2002 4:10:13 AM)

I usually get 2 platoons of Paras in my core force along with the usual tanks, infantry and artillery. Then deploy the paras so I have to rush to save them - haven't always made it. Sometimes I'll reenforce them too. But if the victory hexes are "Points per turn" I'll land right on those - it's difficult because I will only have about one platoon per victory hex group. Or I'll drop them on the other side of the last victory hex and rush it. I've even lost a few gliders and para planes - ARGH! They never come in where you expect - Double Argh!!

Makes for some interesting battles - it's never the same. A few auxilary Engineers and core Paras behind the lines can mess up anybody's attack - if they survive. :D

BTW - I had one tank with 135 kills - that may not be much for most - but it's a lot for me.

Figmo

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI