Hvy PZ btns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

robarrieta -> Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 5:13:09 AM)

Do the heavy tank battalions like the 501st SS have any special combat modifiers that they contribute to a battle beyond just their combat value?

CarnageINC -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 5:26:07 AM)

Good question, I would like to know too, I've been wondering how best to use these bad boys.

amatteucci -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 12:49:29 PM)

I presume they don't. Just attach them to your leading units in the Schwerpunkt.
Anyway, for what I've seen, their impact is hardly negligible since they, sometimes, have a CV comparable to brigade/division sized units.

ool -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 12:52:00 PM)

I'm wondering about survivability of these units. So armoured they must have some better factor in that regard.

karonagames -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 1:42:03 PM)

The combat model does account for relative armour thicknesses and superior weaponry etc., so there should be no need for additional bonuses.

My experience in the 1943 campaign is that the heavy panzer battalions have high survivability and contribute about 5CV when fully supplied and with max. experience and morale. In 6 months of tough fighting with Flavio in 1943, I was losing on average 2 Tigers a week.

mmarquo -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 2:04:56 PM)

I add the Tiger Bn to an armor unit facing a Soviet armor unit I really want to displace, and it seems to work; I want to see how the work on the defense since this how they were really used.

ool -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 2:08:23 PM)

As the Soviet it is unfortunate that we can't do that with a battalion of KV-1's. They would be a real difference maker in the beginning of the conflict. Certainly they would be very useful in defending around Leningrad.

Great_Ajax -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 2:31:14 PM)

The Army and SS Heavy Panzer Battalions are considered 'Axis-Elite' units and receive a bonus to their morale.

Trey

Q-Ball -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 5:08:39 PM)

If you have captured KVs in your pool, will the Heavy Panzer units draw them, if you are short on Tigers?

tiger111 -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/2/2011 8:10:10 PM)

Stll waiting to use mine They`re sitting in the mud waiting and waiting.....(it`s May `43)

abulbulian -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 1:08:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

If you have captured KVs in your pool, will the Heavy Panzer units draw them, if you are short on Tigers?

This is a great question. I was wondering the same as I have many KV models as captured, but have not got as far in the campaign to get the hvy btns.

Ametysth -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 1:21:19 AM)

Historically most of the Tigers were destroyed by Germans themselves when sPzAbt was commited to one of those Russian tie-down attacks as they found themselves inside a forming pocket. I doubt this be done in the game, when Tigers are attached to a HQ. Wouldn't these units be almost imortal compared to real-life counterparts?

Klydon -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 2:38:04 AM)

KV's have a lot to recommend for them, but reliability is not one. The transmission in them just flat sucked. They often carried a spare strapped to the engine deck.

Even when it did work, the only time you could reasonably shift it that well was when the tank was standing still.. not very helpful in most cases.

Steelers708 -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 3:54:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ametysth

Historically most of the Tigers were destroyed by Germans themselves when sPzAbt was commited to one of those Russian tie-down attacks as they found themselves inside a forming pocket. I doubt this be done in the game, when Tigers are attached to a HQ. Wouldn't these units be almost imortal compared to real-life counterparts?

Whilst it is true that most Tigers were destroyed by their own crews to prevent it being captured intact, it has nothing to do with being trapped in a forming pocket. You will find that the vast majority of those destroyed by their own crews were for the following:

1. Knocked out and not able to be recovered.
2. Damaged(e.g. mechanical or battle damage) and not able to be recovered.
3. Ran out of fuel and not able to be recoverd.

randallw -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 7:32:40 AM)

KVs are scarce in 1941; having them in separate battalions would mean less for the tank divisions.

amatteucci -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 10:43:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

The combat model does account for relative armour thicknesses and superior weaponry etc., so there should be no need for additional bonuses.

About this issue I wonder how HEAT and APCR ammo availability is treated in the game.

Ametysth -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/3/2011 1:06:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelers708

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ametysth

Whilst it is true that most Tigers were destroyed by their own crews to prevent it being captured intact, it has nothing to do with being trapped in a forming pocket. You will find that the vast majority of those destroyed by their own crews were for the following:

1. Knocked out and not able to be recovered.
2. Damaged(e.g. mechanical or battle damage) and not able to be recovered.
3. Ran out of fuel and not able to be recoverd.

And when you check WHERE they were when they couldn't recover them; In a front, trying to hold back a classic Russian tie-in attack.

Standard Russian doctrine was to force a breach on enemy's line, wait until enemy sends in the reserves (often sPzAbl or other armor Kampgruppe units) to block the attack and then launch the real strike on different part of the line, striking deep. Sure, most of the time there wasn't a pocket as Germans were extremely fast reacting in tactical level, but this is still where they lost their heavy armor; retreating to avoid being cut off after being sent to front to block a breach in German line and running out of fuel or time to repair.

Thus those "can't recover" losses were result of Russian doctrine and this can't be done in the game.

jaw -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/4/2011 12:27:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: amatteucci

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

About this issue I wonder how HEAT and APCR ammo availability is treated in the game.

There is a matrix built into the game which determines the probability of a weapon (device) using an ammunition type other than the default type for that weapon. The matrix considers both nationality and year of the War. For example, HEAT ammunition is not available for anyone prior to 1942 and German HVAP (APCR) availability declines as the War goes on.

amatteucci -> RE: Hvy PZ btns (1/4/2011 1:15:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw
There is a matrix built into the game which determines the probability of a weapon (device) using an ammunition type other than the default type for that weapon. The matrix considers both nationality and year of the War. For example, HEAT ammunition is not available for anyone prior to 1942 and German HVAP (APCR) availability declines as the War goes on.

Perfect. Thanks for the clarification.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI