TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

ralphtricky -> TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/14/2011 8:34:50 PM)

I'm writing this because of an article on Wargame UI Design on tleaves.com
I also posted there.
http://tleaves.com/2010/12/31/a-battle-lost-through-attrition/#more-2504

I'm going to talk about some of the changes to the UI with 3.4. (Currently in public Beta.)

Here are some things I added/changed and more importantly why. These are example of things that can be done to help a UI without redesigning it.

The simplest ones... Escape closes most dialogs. I hate programs that don't do that. Arrows scroll up and down. The scroll wheel works to scroll the dialogs and zoom the map (4 zoom levels). Touch works. I tested it by running TOAW on my PC and connecting through a third party software called iTap RPD. It's my favorite way to play, but does require both an iPad and a PC to be on and connected.

I changed things to have the RTS or other reasonable default behavior. The default (switchable of course) is now left click select (or center the map on the click), right click move or attack. Right click and hold bring up the detailed menu. Right click on the selected unit pops up the menu. Scroll or pinch will zoom in or out. It jumps because I can't scroll smoothly with this engine. I break convention, and zooming does move the mouse to keep it over the hexes it's on. You have the option of double-clicking to bring up the attack planner or the group composition dialog. It's optional because people are used to being able to click through a stack to see the units instead of double-clicking to being up the dialog with all the units in parallel. Habits are hard to break.

That means that you can explain the mechanics of how to play TOAW very quickly to anyone that's played an RTS. The rounds system is still hard to explain. I've added more information on what's going on with the rounds system so people can plan a little better than they could, but it's still hard.

Terrain effects were obscure before the patch, but are a rich part of the combat model. To help this, I added in 'Tool-Tips.' It includes detailed terrain effects on combat. I also include a picture of the terrain since the tile is normally covered by a unit, and the eye understands pictures better than words. The space bar hides and shows units to let you do analysis of the terrain more easily in order to determine chokepoints, defensive terrain, etc. I deliberately chose the space bar because it's be biggest key and easiest to hit.

I also added the capability for 'Elmer' the AI to move your units. I did this for several reasons. Elmer isn't a great player, but if you don't deliberately go outside his comfort zone, he does OK. I added this for several reasons. One reason was that it would help beginning players to understand what was going on long enough to become interested. Another reason is that I think that there is a segment of people that are interested in playing at the formation level instead of the unit level. The final reason is that people don't have time to play some of the full games. This allows someone to play a 'quick' game. Some scenarios work better than others of course, but by playing at the higher level you can move more quickly than moving individual pieces. It should also help the designers create good AIs. It's nowhere near as good or easy as I would like it to be, the UI is more of a proof of concept, it was what I could do easily with what I had. If people like it, I'll expand it. You can also import and export AIs to try out different things.

An important issue with the combat results screen is that it obscured the combat location! There was no way to figure out where the combat occurred. You get an endless series of screen wiht no context. The best solution would be to slide the map to the left and present the results on the right to present the information in parallel. Since that wouldn't work on a small screen, I took the alternate approach of saying that if you press the space bar or left mouse, then display the map and do a circle around the combat location of decreasing diameter. The space bar also hides several of the screens like the OOB and formation screen now.

A tutorial would be great, although it would be difficult for TOAW. I would almost rather see a longer tutorial what went through Napoleonic, WWI, WWII, Modern which introduced the new concepts and some basic theory of warfare in that era.

Ralph Trickey

marjur -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/14/2011 9:00:33 PM)

What does the following mean: AT: 500%, AP: 200%, FORT: 100%? How am I to interpret it?

I've checked the whatsnew.doc file but only found some of the abbreviations explained, not everything. E.g. I didn't find anything about AT or AP... Could someone explain these abbreviations? They may not be comprehensible to new TOAW users.

ALso, the tooltips stay on only for a few seconds, and then disappear. Is it possible to make them stay on as long as my cursor is over a given hex, without disappearing?

Oberst_Klink -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/14/2011 10:23:02 PM)

(A)nti (P)ersonal (A)nti (T)ank (FORT)ification
The tooltips etc. you can adjust in the options, e.g. how long they gonna pop up etc.

kLiNk, Oberst

sPzAbt653 -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/15/2011 1:19:15 PM)

Nice changes and improvements. Having options for the old timers to continue in their set ways is good. The blogger asserts that 'Hardcore operational-level computer war games have a serious problem: most of them are unplayable'. Certainly a statement made for the sake of drama. Unplayable games have no longevity. Recreating a tabletop boardgame environment on a computer is exceedingly more complex than getting a robot to shake a human hand. Designing an interface that makes thousands of individuals comfortable multiplies the complexity.

Tutorials are nice, but I don't want to watch a 12 hour video. Just give me a quickstart guide and I can get to work. When I purchased COW, I didn't expect Checkers. I expected Chess x1,000 or more, and got it.

The blogger should stick with Ms. PacMan and leave us Robotrons alone.

Panama -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/15/2011 3:07:49 PM)

The guy in the blog reminds me of someone who wants his hand held, doesn't want to think too much and will never play a Paradox strategy game. His brain would explode. Many of these games are not for beginners. Why every game should be for a beginner puzzles me. It's like saying all models should be very easy, maybe even preassembled. There are levels to everything.

He makes a few good points but some of his logic in trying to make those points isn't logical.

Silvanski -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/15/2011 3:09:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
The blogger asserts that 'Hardcore operational-level computer war games have a serious problem: most of them are unplayable'.

If I manage to master it, everyone can!!![:D]

damezzi -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/17/2011 3:20:32 AM)

Since we're talking about UI...

I don't remember if it was Larry, but someone suggested a graphical note layer (for things like sketching plans and marking combat results etc), which I think is a wonderful idea, but I'm sure it's something very difficult to implement with Toaw's present graphics engine.

Since I was, for the first time, playing a scenario with PLENTY of units, I fell the need of some marking tool. It was a hell without one. I moved some units partially and set some attacks. After this I got back to moving some units, but I just didn't remember which units I have moved, so I had to go around and find it out, among hundreds of units and dozens of stacks. It was a hell and I think some players, mainly those not used with huge scenarios, can be driven to the point of thinking it isn't worth going through all the effort. A tool to set some markers would make things A LOT easier.

I thought about proposing a solution that would use the characteritics of Toaw's graphics engine as it is and still be very useful, as in the picture below. One could use something like a new counters set, whith graphics changed to letters and symbols, which would display with a command like CTRL+LETTER KEY( and CTRL+NUM PAD (for arrows). The whole layer could be toggled on and off by some key shortcut (like the space bar for counters). Each Player would attribute meaning for letters and symbols at their own will. What's on the picture serves only as an example.

[image]local://upfiles/25850/634FD0CDE194491D967C683414B46F18.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/17/2011 11:13:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi
I don't remember if it was Larry, but someone suggested a graphical note layer (for things like sketching plans and marking combat results etc), which I think is a wonderful idea, but I'm sure it's something very difficult to implement with Toaw's present graphics engine.

Yeah, it was me. I called it a "grease pencil" function and I'm pretty sure it's badly needed. Especially with monster scenarios like FITE. I've been doing a workaround by grabbing a screenshot and annotating it by hand using some graphics program. The problemo with that is that you gotta update your picture every time you make a change to the game. I was thinking you could use the grease pencil to tell yourself which enemy arty tubes were still entrenched and which ones you've already bombarded and unentrenched, etc. But different colors and or different fonts would be muchly appreciated as well. And it would be wonderful if your markings could show up in the "movies" the game already produces. It does sound like something that might be rather moderately difficult to add to TOAW however and might really be better to be added to the 4.0+ version of TOAW if at all.

Judykator -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/23/2011 10:00:04 PM)

And I do not like that in planning the attack window disappeared "arrow" icons on the units that are involved in the attack.

[image]local://upfiles/32398/4D71120381C4455A9B3DAAE661A90384.jpg[/image]

Judykator -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/23/2011 10:07:16 PM)

Now they are gone

[image]local://upfiles/32398/D810D62AAC97494384437BE009D52336.jpg[/image]

Now I noticed that the "arrows" are visible in the 2D map view and are not visible in the 3D map view. Previously they were also in 3D.

Judykator -> RE: TOAW 3.4 Patch UI Design Notes (1/31/2011 12:09:18 AM)

I found - missing image file "D3_arrowheads.png"
Copied "arrowheads.png" to "D3_arrowheads.png" and work [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI