overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> The War Room

flyingduk -> overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? (1/15/2011 11:37:45 AM)

I have noted that the number of RAF fighters reported as destroyed when caught while landing well exceeds the actual loss count... is there a reason for this?

WaveRuler -> RE: overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? (1/27/2011 10:04:12 AM)

I've seen this also and while I have no idea why this happens (in terms of the game mechanics), I put it down to the fact that claims were historically higher than the actual losses recorded by the other side.

For an airfield attack during the recovery of a squadron I know that attacking fighters would be facing a 'wall' of small arms fire and flak so it would be imperative to get in and out very quickly. I imagine that some pilots would be targetting the same enemy aircraft or installation and when that target was destroyed it would be understandable to have multiple claims recorded. I recall a gun camera picture (I think it's in Roger Freeman's excellent 'The Mighty Eighth') of a P-47 getting dangerously close to the line of fire of a squadron mate during an attack on a flak tower showing both aircraft were attacking the same unit.

So although I have no idea why this happens, I can live with it by accepting that the 'Fog of War' had a big effect on claims made by pilots. Hope that helps!

flyingduk -> RE: overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? (1/27/2011 12:39:32 PM)

yes thanks i assumed the same, and 'double claims' by 2 fighters downing the same target..... there just didnt seem to be a lot of point in the 'fog of war' in that screen, when you get the #real* losses on the next one !

WaveRuler -> RE: overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? (1/28/2011 7:09:22 AM)

The first time you see it you just sit there grinning like an idiot, then you see the real losses and it's not so good! I still get excited when my fighter sweeps catch interceptors landing though!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI