How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

fflaguna -> How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 12:27:28 AM)

I want to make interstellar travel VERY SLOW in order to increase the sense of distance in the game. How can I do this? Thanks!

tornnight -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 12:39:10 AM)

There is no way right now. We've asked for this for a long time.

I think we need both a reduction in fuel tank size and speed.

I'm guessing the issue is the AI won't know how to handle it. There won't be anyway to intercept pirates or attacking fleets in time for anything.

BigWolfChris -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 12:57:59 AM)

Wasn't there something in an ini that helps abit?
I'm sure it's wasn't by much, but it's something

fflaguna -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 1:04:39 AM)

Yeah, I've been messing around with the "hyperdrivespeed" in startup.ini. It seems the default is something like 1.6, and it doesn't do anything for values less than 1.0.

tornnight -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 1:13:04 AM)

During ROTS beta we determined it only makes things faster and it uses a very strange formula.

Setekh -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 1:14:32 AM)

I suppose for hardcore realists this would be nice. Not sure I'd personally want it though.

Data -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 8:23:00 AM)

you can underpower your designs so that there isn't enough spare energy to fully power the hyperdrive.....but this would affect other areas as well

J HG T -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 8:32:48 AM)

Woodman suggested adding hyperspeed (and some other good ones) slider into game settings screen, hope that it will be added in some future patch/expansion.
Personally, I'm quite fine with current hyperspeeds. More options wouldn't hurt though.

Data -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 1:08:48 PM)

they nerver do...more options increase the gameplay offer and replayability

BigWolfChris -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 1:52:42 PM)

Personally, as long as the game keeps expanding and improving, I'm happy
Bigger starmaps, bigger tech trees, bigger variations of worlds and systems

The engine beneath is quite solid tbh, just needs balancing, bug fixes here and there, and then adding on top of

ASHBERY76 -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 2:00:53 PM)

I have no issue with the speed but I want to see range decreased.

It is like man discovered space flight and then just added more fuel and can reach the other side of the galaxy.

BigWolfChris -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 2:21:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I have no issue with the speed but I want to see range decreased.

It is like man discovered space flight and then just added more fuel and can reach the other side of the galaxy.

quote:

man discovered space flight and then just added more fuel and can reach

We could do this now IRL, we're just limited by the amount of fuel/supplies we can carry (so add more), plus that it'd take lifetimes just to get to the nearest star system (need faster propulsion)
With our current technology, our sun would be dead by the time we reached the edge of our own galaxy
So while possible, it's completely impractical

Zakhal -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 6:05:18 PM)

The map is way too small. You can only change the density of stars in the map but not the size of the map itself which is always the same. Problem is that the map gets very small very fast once you advance in the game. The game lacks distance as factor of strategy.

WoodMan -> RE: How do I make interstellar travel SLOW? (1/16/2011 6:10:21 PM)

If you are interested in this issue please support this thread, and bring it back to the first page where it is more likely to be noted by the Dev/Publisher

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2687409

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI