Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

grofaz -> Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/22/2011 3:13:01 PM)

I am finding it a bit difficult to organize the game. With so many units it's hard to keep track (color coding is also a pain). I have started to print screen shots in paper to then mark general orders with pen and pencil. I was thinking of using other programs as well.

Just wondering what you guys are doing (if anything) and compare ideas. I want to have a nice comprehensive system before starting the 1941-45 campaign.

Cheers!

CharonJr -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/22/2011 3:23:51 PM)

I am sure the GröFaZ has no need for such punny tools ;)

Personally I find writing an AAR very helpfull since you have to review your situation again and from a slightly different perspective. And at least I tend to become more aware about my corps and army positions, making it easier to remember who belongs to whom.

gradenko2k -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/22/2011 3:31:59 PM)

I tend to have a text file open with what's essentially a pre-flight checklist before hitting the end turn button.

I do agree that it would be nice to have something like a map view where you can draw and make annotations

grofaz -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/22/2011 4:55:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CharonJr
I am sure the GröFaZ has no need for such punny tools ;)....

HAHA good one...my generals are all traitors!

Anyways, I think we can use this thread to make a comprehensive Campaign Organizer. I like the pre-end-turn checklist idea, and certainly AARs help in the review process.

I am looking for a happy medium between let's say the COCAT tool (used some years ago in the CM meta campaigns) which has a very steep learning curve, and simple screenshots with notes and overlays. Perhaps cyberboard?

*Lava* -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/22/2011 10:25:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000
I do agree that it would be nice to have something like a map view where you can draw and make annotations

Indeed a real map could be quite handy.

Perhaps Matrix could print them up with a thin plastic covering so that you could use a grease pencil to draw on them and reuse afterwards.

Short of that I take screens of the small map view and put them all on one document so I can see my progress and plot my strategy.

Like this (start of turn 2 after air recon):

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/lavaslair/Turn2.jpg[/image]

grofaz -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/23/2011 3:02:52 PM)

I was looking at the art files and the map is in sections. I would need to paste them together to get the entire map in one file.

heliodorus04 -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/23/2011 3:53:06 PM)

I create my own screenshot maps via Paint (which comes basic with Windows PCs). It works quite well (for me) although it can be time consuming.

Here's a screenshot from a game where you can see me diagramming where certain units will/can move. I draw a circle where the unit CAN reach, and the line to show a sort of "start here/end there" plan.

[image]local://upfiles/30405/6518EBA7922B429C81214298F065E7A5.jpg[/image]

grofaz -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/23/2011 4:16:57 PM)

The map has already been created, here's the link:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2643336

buchand -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/27/2011 6:16:34 AM)

Though I hate to make Mr Gates even more money using MS One Note keeps maps [screenshots] and text of plans, AARs etc together. Not as good looking as many of the above but easy. the graphic tools are basic but enough to plot Corps/Army moves.
Especially during winter turns you can pop up the window and then have something to do while the AI churns away[;)]

jomni -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/27/2011 6:20:14 AM)

Currently playing the Soviets and I don't plot these plans yet.
I just push counters and see where they lead me. ;)

mmarquo -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/27/2011 2:03:49 PM)

1. I use print screen and then paste into Word - it works quite well and of course I can comment as much as I want.

2. This game could use a private Axis, private Soviet and common message boards on the administrative tool bar. This way players could write private notes to self and could also send each other notes/messages with the turns. This would address some of the complaints I have read (not personally yet used) about exchanging pbem turns on the server.

Marquo

Zovs -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/27/2011 3:12:58 PM)

I use the free utility Gadwin for print screens and then I can load them into my photobucket account and then use the insert image from within the threads here.

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

ParaB -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/27/2011 3:19:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CharonJr

Personally I find writing an AAR very helpfull since you have to review your situation again and from a slightly different perspective. And at least I tend to become more aware about my corps and army positions, making it easier to remember who belongs to whom.

100% true.

Writing an AAR really tends to focus your thoughts and make you formulate plans, and stick to them.

grofaz -> RE: Organizing Strategy/Orders/Units/Map - Ideas (1/31/2011 7:50:25 PM)

Since I use a MAC I found a great program called Curio 7.0.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI