Electronic Warfare (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> The War Room

BDouce -> Electronic Warfare (1/23/2011 6:41:32 PM)

How are the electronic warfare aircraft used effectively?
Do I just mix a jamming squadron into my bomber group or do they work better used separately?
Are they effective only at night or do they work during daylight as well?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

harley -> RE: Electronic Warfare (1/27/2011 3:38:07 AM)

Elint (those Wellies and Mossies at the start of '43) are passive - they receive data from LW radar units, and may advance the upgrades of later AI and radar detectors. Trawl the coast with them and use them as decoys.

ECM - Hallies, Forts and Libs (and Lancs?) - will actively down radar , creating gaps in the LW coverage...

Of course, if you create a hole big enough for a wing to fly through, it stands to reason the enemy might assume you'll fly a wing through it.

BDouce -> RE: Electronic Warfare (1/27/2011 4:32:08 PM)

Harley thanks for answering my question.

I've been experimenting and now I get it! The night fighters equipped with the various ECM devices need to accompany the bomber command raids. Huge reduction in bomber command losses now that I understand how use ECM and carefully plot my raids.

Now if only bomber command wasn't so worthless in hitting assigned targets. Apparently their only real usefulness is in area bombing!? Seems like such a waste of time to area bomb cities with 0% collateral damage to railyards/industry and no appreciable change in terror bombing score.

I've been experimenting with pathfinders using GEE, OBEE and H2S at altitudes ranging from 8k to 22k without any success against industrial targets. Other than area targets are what other targets are suitable for Bomber Command in the 43' campaign?

Thanks

mgp104 -> RE: Electronic Warfare (1/27/2011 5:46:30 PM)

I started a game in 1943, now in August 1944. Bomber command are so powerful, especially in 1943. Initially I used them to bomb large railyards, making sure that the most experienced squadrons or H2S equipped ones were the leaders. This was reasonably effective at causing Terror and Industrial Damage. Also don't forget ports, them being damaged causes further industry damage (due to supply problems) and they repair so so slowly.

Once you have enough high exp or H2S squadrons you can start attacking individual factories, I tend to fly at 22000ft to keep losses down but I still get good results. Again make sure the best squadrons are the leaders, the rest will just bomb where the leader did (with some creepback).

With regards the nav equipment I think that H2S is the best, Oboe is okay but the range is limited (basically as far as the Ruhr).

BDouce -> RE: Electronic Warfare (1/27/2011 8:17:15 PM)

After running recce missions over targets previously hit by bomber command I just determined that Bomber Command is in fact putting bombs on targets after all (rail mostly). That's encouraging! Why is it that damage assessments are instantaneous on some targets (radar, ports, PRI, troops, etc.) but other targets require a recon mission to calc damage?

Also, recce missions I am finding don't always locate FLAK on PRI resulting in heavy losses for my fighter sweeps. I might have to discontinue sweeps until I figure that one out. And that's with 1 day old recon information.

Third week of the 43' campaign and the mechanics are finally starting to come clear. Thanks everyone who posts!!!

mgp104 -> RE: Electronic Warfare (1/28/2011 12:04:54 AM)

I've found the same problem with LAA, you just have to hope really; recon only seems to pick up HAA and balloons. I've given up on sending fighter sweeps to airfields directly, you end up losing as much as you destroy (which admittedly is an affordable loss ratio). Now that I've got aircraft with good endurance I send the sweep to near the airfield and make the airfield the patrol point, that way they stay at ~30000ft and pick off any aircraft that try to land. You need to time it very well or have the good endurance aircraft that appear later though.

harley -> RE: Electronic Warfare (1/29/2011 9:16:46 AM)

Don't assume high-level recon is A) accurate or B) complete.

HMSWarspite -> RE: Electronic Warfare (2/12/2011 4:06:11 PM)

Use low altitude recce, Luke.[;)] (but carefully!)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI