parachute troops - new player struggles (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

obvert -> parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 4:56:01 PM)

I have tried in several places, with different units, and with various aircraft and settings, but can't get anything to transport paratroops. I always get 'no friendly airstrip' at location message.

I've tried changing the unit's op mode, but think it should be in combat, right? I've tried different bases, all of which are empty base hexes, confirmed by multiple recons. I don't know what else to try.

I'm sure there is a very simple answer, but I haven't found it searching here yet, either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

PS - I also understand that paratroops cannot land in open areas, but must land on bases? Isn't that a bit odd? Lets drop them on enemy towns or ports rather than on a nice open field nearby?

Thanks

Sredni -> RE: parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 5:38:37 PM)

Sounds like they're not really para troops tbh. Some units with para sections arn't really para troops, and some are. It's listed just after the forts part (x unit with x forts) weather its a para capable unit or not. Here's an example with some OZ units. 1's para capable and ones not, even though they're the exact same sort of unit.

[image]local://upfiles/14202/3172409B41064D808FED94AB2A2E92A9.jpg[/image]

Patbgaming -> RE: parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 7:11:07 PM)

Are you trying to drop them within the aircraft's normal range ? I think beyond normal range is only for air-transport not airdrop.

obvert -> RE: parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 7:56:40 PM)

It could be just that they are not paratroops. Good call. As it says para in the unit title I assumed they were paratroops, and since I've only played one this one game into May 42, I may not actually have any yet. They are 10 LCU with only fighting squads and support, one engineer.

I'll check when I get back in the game later.

Thanks for helping out the rookies!

obvert -> RE: parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 7:58:51 PM)

I have transported troops just fine, it's just the para drop that i can't manage. I think Sredni may have solved it, but have to check later in the game.

obvert -> RE: parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 9:02:19 PM)

Ok. One unit as you suggested Sredni, is not paratrooper. (The Viper force in Burma).

The other is paratroop, and it seems to now be working. Previously I just set the transports, Cats, to the distance to the destination. I thought that might have been the problem. Just tried it here, and even that had no problems. Not sure what the cause before, but all seems well now, and I learned a bit. Here goes a paradrop on Tarawa.

Thanks

obvert -> RE: parachute troops - new player struggles (1/31/2011 9:11:07 PM)

One more thing. I can probably try this out over time, but just offhand, is there a good guide for how aircraft load translates into troop capacity. I have an idea with supply, (mainly that it's not very much), but not with troops.

Obviously guns and things get in the way, but if it's just men, is there a standard conversion from load to troops?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI