Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Hanzberger -> Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/11/2011 7:12:58 AM)

Plz write your thoughts below, thanks. [:D]

Puhis -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/11/2011 7:26:52 AM)

You can't expand oil centers, just repair them. And if you're Japanese player, you must repair every oil center.

Hanzberger -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/11/2011 12:26:55 PM)

got it, but aren't they halved? I thought I could get the half back at least or is that part of the repair?

Puhis -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/11/2011 12:56:42 PM)

When the game starts some oil centers are "damaged", for example Miri is half damaged (150:150). So you can repair it to full 300, but you can't expand it.

Chickenboy -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/11/2011 4:06:18 PM)

Puhis is right about oil centers on all counts. As regards refineries, there's more debate about the value of repairing refineries, particularly those in the DEI and / or Burma, versus just transporting oil to the HIs.

My preference is to ship oil back to the HIs, as there is plenty of underutilized refinery capacity there. Others have a different strategy.

CV2 -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/11/2011 9:43:52 PM)

I rarely if ever repair anything and cant say Ive even come close to running out of fuel. Makes me wonder what you all are doing that Im not.

Hanzberger -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/12/2011 2:02:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV2

I rarely if ever repair anything and cant say Ive even come close to running out of fuel. Makes me wonder what you all are doing that Im not.

I dunno, I haven't gotten that far on the IJF side, but I do know that I got almost every piece of equipment running. [X(]

CV2 -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/12/2011 3:25:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV2

I dunno, I haven't gotten that far on the IJF side, but I do know that I got almost every piece of equipment running. [X(]

Well there's your problem then. I only move things when I have to. Keeping the allied player guessing as to where your carriers and battle wagons are is often more effective than showing them. Not to mention the fuel savings [;)]

Hanzberger -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/12/2011 4:02:02 PM)

I've just started a new game so right now it seems I have to be moving everything. Also this is my first strong attempt at playing the IJF side of things, so maybe I should re consider not moving stuff as much, that is a great point you made.
With the allies it was never a problem, although I haven't really played that much on the allied side of things in AE only in WiTP vanilla.

erstad -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/14/2011 12:50:09 AM)

Something that took me a while to get the hang of is minimizing fuel use as Japan. Things like:
- If you send out a troop or supply convoy from Japan, it returns with fuel (or maybe resources)
- Avoid fueling ships in the HI, try to fuel them in the DEI. Especially your tanker TFs as they are going back to locations with fuel. If your TFs are going south/south-east, think about whether you want them to return to HI or dog-leg to Balikpapan or whatever.
- If you can't fuel in the DEI, try to fuel as close as possible; for example (only examples, there's many possible options) you might put fuel in Takao, Manila, and Sorong for TFs operating north and east of those bases.

All of these sound obvious and easy, but I found it took a while before they became second nature. I probably burned a lot of extra fuel before developing good habits.

Puhis -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/14/2011 6:20:33 AM)

Also, don't expand ports you don't need. Every port point is requesting 1000 fuel points (actually 3x that). So if those bases don't have any Heavy industry, all the fuel sitting there is wasted. That can be problem espesially in China/Manchuria, when all the fuel is going to costal bases and inland industy centers are lacking fuel...

Hanzberger -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/14/2011 3:09:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Also, don't expand ports you don't need. Every port point is requesting 1000 fuel points (actually 3x that). So if those bases don't have any Heavy industry, all the fuel sitting there is wasted. That can be problem espesially in China/Manchuria, when all the fuel is going to costal bases and inland industy centers are lacking fuel...

I didn't know you used fuel to expand ports, has it always been that way?

anarchyintheuk -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/14/2011 5:46:59 PM)

Fuel is not consumed to build ports (only supply). However, the larger the port the more fuel is requested by the supply routine. If the port is not in an HI site it just sits there.

Puhis -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/14/2011 5:50:29 PM)

No, expanding ports don't use fuel. But ports do request (stockpile) fuel. Big ports stockpile more fuel, and if there's no heavy industy or ships, that fuel is basicly wasted. So expanding ports might suck your fuel to wrong places.

Just my minor observation.

Hanzberger -> RE: Thoughts on expanding oil centers? (2/15/2011 6:57:55 AM)

Ok thanks for the tip

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI