Panzer 88 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

bairdlander2 -> Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 4:32:42 PM)

Anyone heard when this film is being released?Its about the crew of a King Tiger fighting some demons in Russia.Saw some artwork and it looks good.

diablo1 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 7:00:39 PM)

Demons? ohpahleezeeeezah

bairdlander2 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 7:43:52 PM)

So whats wrong with horror flicks set in WW2?

cantona2 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 8:02:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Very few ww2 films are being made, at least the ones they do make should be at least relevant to the war and no horror crap like that bunker film of a few years ago.

Phatguy -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 8:24:06 PM)

There was a series of books about vampires set in the ETO and PTO...Slightly interesting

bairdlander2 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 9:40:28 PM)

Its called fiction/fantasy/horror.There is nothing wrong with that,whats the harm in such entertainment?

Arctic Blast -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 11:07:03 PM)

quote:

Its called fiction/fantasy/horror.There is nothing wrong with that,whats the harm in such entertainment?

Hadn't heard of it before. Kinda curious now. [:)]

Obsolete -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 11:07:59 PM)

I guess it's that most horror movies tend to.... come across as cheap and poorly written?

The only horror movie that I thought was half-decent was maybe Aliens. And even then, people debate if it really should be horror or sci-fi.

wworld7 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/13/2011 11:30:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

quote:

Very few ww2 films are being made, at least the ones they do make should be at least relevant to the war and no horror crap like that bunker film of a few years ago.

I agree with your opinion, but most studios #1 goal is to produce movies that make a profit. And, the bean-counters usually have a say in if a movie is produced. If they believe that a horrow flick will create a higher "Return on Investment (ROI) than a historical flick, well you can guess which one will be approved.

But don't lose hope, these things tend to run in cycles. Historical will back someday.

diablo1 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 12:00:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

I guess it's that most horror movies tend to.... come across as cheap and poorly written?

The only horror movie that I thought was half-decent was maybe Aliens. And even then, people debate if it really should be horror or sci-fi.

Well Sci-fi horror yes. I loved the Aliens series and it's the only series other than Star Wars I own.

@bairdlander there's nothing wrong with horror in WW2 I was just giving my feelings on it. Horror for me I need to be medieval and foggy and old an ancient. I never could get into the likes of Friday the 13th or Halloween or Nightmare on Elm street those were more gruesome ways to chop people up than classic horror. Heck I was more scared after seeing the Exorcist the first time than any of those series. You know there's a flashing of a demonic face in the Exorcist they never could edit out of it? It freaks me out everytime I see it. Now that's a horror movie.

bairdlander2 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 12:03:28 AM)

The producer is Gary Kurtz of Star Wars fame.Its supposed to be like Das Boot(instead of a cramped sub its a tank),but fantasy/fiction.

jomni -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 12:13:56 AM)

COD had Nazi Zombies.  It's an emerging genre.

diablo1 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 1:48:06 AM)

Yeah what's with all the zombie games lately? And these drama soap opera vampire and werewolf tv episodes are ruining what vampires and werewolves used to represent.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 3:52:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

COD had Nazi Zombies.  It's an emerging genre.

And pulled it off in a very fun way.

gunny -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 4:11:46 AM)

Is it Outpost 2 by any chance.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movie/outpost-ii-black-sun

nicwb -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 12:02:07 PM)

Not really that new as an idea - I recall there was a movie in the early '80s called The Keep - it had German troops in Rumania during WWII battling with a vampire like creature in an old castle. Bit of a cult classic.

ilovestrategy -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 2:10:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

Not really that new as an idea - I recall there was a movie in the early '80s called The Keep - it had German troops in Rumania during WWII battling with a vampire like creature in an old castle. Bit of a cult classic.

Good book too. The sequel was awful though.

wodin -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 2:25:04 PM)

A brilliant WW1 horror was Deathwatch.....great movie...caught it on TV a few months ago...thought it was a WW1 film then all manner of things happen..still good indy british film.

sterckxe -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 3:44:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

Good book too. The sequel was awful though.

I literally stayed up all night reading that book - saw the movie years later - wasn't too impressed, but my expectations were probably unrealistically sky-high. Wouldn't mind seeing it again now though.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

HansHafen -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 5:21:21 PM)

Does the 88 in the title stand for something other than (HH) Heil Hitler?

bairdlander2 -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 6:03:44 PM)

info http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596576/

bartholimew -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/14/2011 6:35:01 PM)

OK found the right one. Interview with the director, same guy did hellboy.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/interview/624

PB: Well. Outside of all the supernatural material -- of which there's a lot -- there are two solid tank battle confrontations, done in a way that I don't think I've seen on film before, even looking at movies like "Kelly's Heroes" or "Battle Of The Bulge". We have one wonderful depot sequence with a lot of hardware...experimental German ground vehicles, a flying wing. All actual machinery that was deployed in the field at the time, but has never been seen onscreen. And a significant part of the film takes place on the "Gustav", one of a pair of monster guns...the largest railroad cannons in the world that the Germans built. The armor nuts are going to love this movie. We have a wonderful producer in Germany, a big World War 2 enthusiast, who's helping us -- informally, at this juncture -- to get together hardware for the film.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/15/2011 3:47:43 AM)

quote:

Not really that new as an idea - I recall there was a movie in the early '80s called The Keep

It's been done in other mediums too. Around that time I ran into some WWII miniatures gamers who had gotten together with some Dungeons & Dragons miniatures gamers. There was some discussion about the effect of a panzerfaust against a troll . . .[:D]

nicwb -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/15/2011 11:29:01 AM)

quote:

It's been done in other mediums too. Around that time I ran into some WWII miniatures gamers who had gotten together with some Dungeons & Dragons miniatures gamers. There was some discussion about the effect of a panzerfaust against a troll . . .

I recall that - wasn't it something like "Hans, how many hit points does a panzerfaust do to a troll?"

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/15/2011 8:21:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bartholimew

OK found the right one. Interview with the director, same guy did hellboy.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/interview/624

PB: Well. Outside of all the supernatural material -- of which there's a lot -- there are two solid tank battle confrontations, done in a way that I don't think I've seen on film before, even looking at movies like "Kelly's Heroes" or "Battle Of The Bulge". We have one wonderful depot sequence with a lot of hardware...experimental German ground vehicles, a flying wing. All actual machinery that was deployed in the field at the time, but has never been seen onscreen. And a significant part of the film takes place on the "Gustav", one of a pair of monster guns...the largest railroad cannons in the world that the Germans built. The armor nuts are going to love this movie. We have a wonderful producer in Germany, a big World War 2 enthusiast, who's helping us -- informally, at this juncture -- to get together hardware for the film.

IIRC Hellboy started out as a Nazi experiment that was overrun by the Allies.

KG Erwin -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/15/2011 10:08:57 PM)

The only movie of this type I liked was "The 13th Warrior". Some review sites panned it, but I enjoyed it for its unusual point of view and terrific battle scenes. Please note that I never read Michael Crichton's book, on which the movie was based.

Obsolete -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/16/2011 12:44:49 AM)

How exactly was 13'th Warrior a horror? I have to confess I really did like it, an wished there had been more viking movies of that nature around.

KG Erwin -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/16/2011 1:50:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

How exactly was 13'th Warrior a horror? I have to confess I really did like it, an wished there had been more viking movies of that nature around.

Remember that the Wendol, the bad guys, dressed as animals and ate their victims. What was most interesting about this film is that the lead actor, Antonio Banderas, served as narrator and observer through most of the story, even though he became an unwilling participant as the 13th warrior on the mission to kill the Wendols' matriarch. The true hero of the film was the Viking leader, Buliwyf. It has been said that Crichton based his book on the classic "Beowulf", and yes, he did borrow much from the ancient story.

Obsolete -> RE: Panzer 88 (2/16/2011 2:50:53 AM)

Mmmm, I remember the Eaters of the Dead in detail, but it just didn't really come across as horror to me.  In fact, IIRC wasn't the movie indexed at video stores as an Action title or something similar?

And may Allah bless Jerry Goldsmith for yet another great soundtrack.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI