RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

obvert -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 2:11:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Note to all JFBs: This is why you take all those small and dot bases at the end of the expansion phase. [;)]

Two to go!

obvert -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 2:16:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

1/9/43

Steve sends a gracious note to open discussions for Japan's unconditional surrender.  We're actually planning to play for about six more days, up until my departure date on a long camping trip.  He suggested that and I'm glad, for I have four major things I'm interested in seeing:

1.  The main thing is the invasion of Celebes and the simultaneous disclosure of the Allied bases in the eastern DEI.  I think I have just enough time to get this done.  Maybe.

2.  There is a major CHinese attack planned near Chengchow.  That will take place in about three days.

3.  I would love to finally eradicate the Japanese garrison at Magwe.  I don't think that will happen.

4.  I've been nursing a severely damaged CA Salt Lake City for many months.  She's on her way to the yards at Colombo, but she might not make it.  I wish I could find out, but she's too far away to make it in the time remaining.

While I've been wondering for a while how this game can continue, I can see the fun of getting into this territory at this point in the war.

Well played all around and congrats on the decisive victory! [sm=00000436.gif]

Captain Cruft -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 2:57:37 AM)

I would still like to take this on as Japan. The Empire is nothing like dead yet IMO.

Canoerebel -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 3:36:32 AM)

The Empire is dead in this game.  Steve is out of capital ships.  It's theoretically possible to continue fighting until some even more bitter end, but when it's January 1943 and there isn't a navy left and this is all about naval conflict, where's the pleasure.

I am sad to see the game end for three reasons, but very glad to see it end for one:

1.  It was fun creating a massive bulwark knowing that the enemy would have to hurl himself against it, doing himself great damage - and that's just what happened.

2.  It's 1943, so the Allies are just getting some great toys to play with.  This game is ending at the same time as my last one, against Q-Ball, so there is sadness in that respect.

3.  It's 12/41 in my game with Panzer, so this one offered a nice contrast and touch of encouragement.

1.  But I have learned that I absolutely can't afford to play more than one game at a time and remain sane at work and home. 

Cribtop -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 6:36:16 AM)

Very well played. This is one of the biggest and quickest Allied victories in the history of Scenario 2. You stuck with your plan and did it your way. Old Blue Eyes would be proud.

It really is best that it end, however. This game was won some time ago, and ending it will give you time to focus on what is shaping up as a fascinating match with PH in your other AAR.

[&o][&o][&o]

vettim89 -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 4:29:53 PM)

Congratulations, Dan, on one of the best played games ever as the Allies. You da man!!!!! [&o][&o]

Capt. Harlock -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/6/2012 8:21:54 PM)

quote:

Very well played. This is one of the biggest and quickest Allied victories in the history of Scenario 2. You stuck with your plan and did it your way.

Well, technically it was Nemo who suggested the Fortress Sumatra strategy. But CR deserves full credit for many a gutsy move, such as blowing away the fleet oilers. And even more for one of the most entertaining AAR's ever posted!

Miller -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/7/2012 11:24:30 AM)

Very well played Sir[&o]

Canoerebel -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/7/2012 6:45:05 PM)

1/9/43

Due to a busy schedule, i was unable to generate a turn yesterday.  I sent one to Steve this morning, but in looking at the Celebes invasion, it's pretty clear now that I can't get the troops ashore before the ceasefire takes effect late this week.  I broached this in my email to Steve, inviting him to go ahead and "surrender" now rather than at the end of the week.  He had indicated either was fine with him, so I suspect the game will end here.

The Celebes invasion force is south of Oosthaven now, but needs to swing a bit SE to stay out of range of patrols out of Java.  D-Day probably would have been in about six days.

I won't say anything else until I receive official word from Steve.

Gridley380 -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/7/2012 6:53:00 PM)

Too bad, I would have liked to see this play out for another week (game time).

Oh well, I tip my hat to you, sir, for a game well played.

Chickenboy -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/7/2012 7:59:47 PM)

Glad to see you both wrapping up this game, Canoerebel. Also pleased that this has left you with a yen for another game (i.e., the one with PH).

Canoerebel -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/7/2012 8:48:10 PM)

I realize this game had veered to an unusual course in which it is no longer a taut game with an uncertain outcome.  I kept writing, though, because my experience as a reader of Sports Illustrated over the years showed me that I tended to first read the stories about teams that had fallen upon disaster instead of the stories about the dynasties and titans.  In other words, I preferred reading about a disastrous season for, say, the Miami Marlins, as opposed to something about the New York Yankees.

I regret to see this game end for two reasons, but I am glad for one reason.

The regret comes from the fact that this game provided needed "comfort" in contrast to the usual (or unusual?) pounding the Allies are taking in late '41 in my game with PH.  Also, I was really enjoying this game becaue the Allied master plan was working to perfection:  Build a powerful redoubt, force the enemy to impale himself on the the bulwarks, and enjoy the carnage.

But I have discovered that I can only play one game at a time and remain sane.  So I am really glad the game is coming to an end. 

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/8/2012 4:26:53 AM)

CR: Congratulations on the victory! You have provided some excellent strategic lessons in this AAR.

Cheers,
CC

ChezDaJez -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/9/2012 3:26:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

CR: Congratulations on the victory! You have provided some excellent strategic lessons in this AAR.

Cheers,
CC

That he has!

The quote below is a copy what I sent to Dan after my surrender.

quote:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the game. While it wasn't the type of game I was expecting, It certainly turned out to be entertaining and more than a bit frustrating, I might add. I did truely enjoy it and I can now say that I have been expertly schooled on how to conduct a defence!

From the very first move you had me reacting to your moves instead of you reacting to mine and that, my friend, is not a good place to be when one is supposed to be on the offensive. Those early troops losses you inflicted on me also hobbled me more than I could ever say. That forced me to wait for reinforcements which in turn gave you a chance to do what you wanted to. Certainly took the wind out of my sails time and time again.

Festung Sumatra was brilliant. While I don't think it belongs in a historical game, it certainly is a strategy well worth considering in a more open game. If the Japanese player fails to recognize it early (guilty) or if he does not have enough uncommitted troops to prevent it (again guilty), then he is up a creek without the proverbial paddle. Once established, it is near impossible to penetrate without stripping forces from every part of the empire. That then allows the allied player the freedom to go and do whatever he wants.

And even more frightening was your Kurile Island gambit. Had you kept going, you could have gobbled up the Kuriles and then landed virtually unopposed on Hokkaido. Japanese Home Island forces are restricted to the Home Islands and cannot deploy to the Kuriles (5th Fleet) so there would have been nothing to prevent the Kuriles from falling. The only reinforcements Hokkaido can receive is via airlift. Even the air forces are restricted. I had to bring in troops from the Philippines and China to sep up a defensive line. All of the IJA aircraft came from Manchuria and much of the IJN aircraft came from the 4th Fleet.

The Kurile Island and nothern Japan force structure are one of the things AE got very, very wrong IMO. It definitely needs to be reworked.

Dan proved to be a very wiley opponent. He did everything right and I, well, not so much. He kept me off balance from day one. There were many times when all I could do was look at the map and think, "How in the heck did he do that?" or "Where did that come from?"

I would like to recap the state of the Japanese fleet at present...

Carriers: 6 CVs, 4 CVEs in Manila ready for action. I CVL without an airwing (Ryuho arrives 9 months before its airwing does!)

Battleships: 2 ready, 2 heavily damaged. Huyga is available and Kongo almost ready to come out of the Osaka yards. Yamato at Hiroshima yards with 247 days to go, Yamashiro enroute Japan with heavy damage.

Heavy Cruisers: 3 with minor-moderate damage (Nachi, Chikuma, Ashigara), 3 with heavy damage (Takao, Maya, Haguro)

Light Cruisers: 5 available, 1 other with moderate damage and 1 with heavy damage

Destroyers: 56 available, 17 others with moderate-heavy damage

The IJA is is similar straits. Of the 45 IJA divisions on the map, 35 are restricted to China, the Home Islands or Manchuria. Of the 10 unrestricted divisions, 4 are full strength, 3 at 75% strength, 2 at 50% strength and 1 at 25% strength. The 4 full strength divisions are located at Hokaido, Singapore, Batavia and Cam Rahn Bay. The remaining divisions are all pinned down by Dan's forces and unable to move. They are at Padang, Kuching, Pegu and Magwe. These all represent the understrength divisions.

The airforces are in much better shape though both the IJA and IJN airforces are suffering from experience losses. Having PDU off is both a boon and a bust for the Japanese. It helps prevent the late war allied machine from getting too strong but it also limits the Japanese in the ame way so many units are still flying obsolete fighters.

Currently the IJN has 246 fighters in 16 units with one unit still flying A5M2 Claudes. The IJA has 616 fighters in 34 units however 21 of those units are restricted and still flying Ki-27b Nates. 10 units are flying the Ki-43 series Oscars and 2 are flying the Ki-44-II. One special unit is flying the Ki-46 KAI. Experience levels are averaging around 50. Bomber strength is good with ok experience levels.

The last turn we played what his air force is capable of. I lost 53 fighters and 17 bombers in air-air combat compared to his 2 fighters... OUCH!

One last thing I would like to mention is the move that scared me the most was Dan's invasion of the Kuriles. The Japanese simply do not have enough forces to prevent a dedicated effort to take the islands. The only forces located nearby are restricted Home Island forces and they can't be moved to the Kuriles. Indeed you have to airlift the Home Island forces to get them onto Hokkaido!

Once taken, Hokkaido is then wide open to invasion. Just stationing heavy bombers in the Kuriles will allow the allied player to completely devastate Japan from the air very early on. This might be worth an HR to some players.

Anyways, I have appreciated this game. We are different type players to be sure but I have a feeling that Dan would still have been giving me fits even in a more historically based game.

Chez

BBfanboy -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/9/2012 7:30:16 AM)

Great to see someone gracious in accepting defeat - very good sportmanship ChezDaJez. You showed real determination to carry on the game the last few months of game time when only a miracle could save the situation. Thanks for a great effort!

Miller -> RE: Das darf nicht wahr sein! (5/9/2012 1:47:04 PM)

You can defend against an Allied invasion of the Kuriles. Dan tried it in our game and I kicked him out.............although my overall strategic situation at the time was better than in your game.

Page: <<   < prev  97 98 99 100 [101]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI